SSAI money (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Anyone got any good recommendations for future saving/investment options?
Like what banks are doing the best deals. Looked into a few so far, they all seem pretty much the same but worded and chopped up slightly differently.

mackaye.jpg

?

apollo gallery on dawson street are selling paintings with a guarantee to buy them back in five years time for 50% more than you paid for them. that's over twice the SSIA payout.

apollo gallery on dawson street are selling paintings with a guarantee to buy them back in five years time for 50% more than you paid for them. that's over twice the SSIA payout.

Wow! That is a seriously good deal. You get something great to hang on your wall and you know you'll make a profit if you decide to sell it. Of course... they could be planning to hand out a list of addresses to an 'associate' who would 'liberate' the paintings before the 5 years are up.

But it is more likely that they think that the paintings will increase in value by more than 50% and they will be able to sell them on for even more.

Sounds like a fiddle - sell off a load of shite paintings for ten grand each promising a return after five years, then once they're all sold, close the gallery and fuck off with the cash. Smart.

Sounds like a fiddle - sell off a load of shite paintings for ten grand each promising a return after five years, then once they're all sold, close the gallery and fuck off with the cash. Smart.

Closer inspection is of course required. But I assume you’d be signing guarantee’s and contracts and whatnot to prevent that from happening.
My thinking would be that either:
They want to get a good bit of cash in the bank, with a view towards investing in some sort of capital expenditure, like a building extension or something.
OR
They have a bunch of shite paintings and are hoping that some of them will appreciate by more than 50% in the next five years, so they can break even on the lot (while taking into consideration the time value of money).

And now that I think of it, 50% over 5 years isn’t actually like winning the lotto. Unless you happen to have that sort of money lying around doing nothing.

Wait, if you invest ten grand, and you get 15 back, and inflation is say 5% a year, your initial investment is actually worth 12762 in five-years-time-money. I'm sure the difference between that and 15 grand minus 5 years inflation isn't all that much. Or have i got it wrong altogether?

No, that's pretty much it RSJ.

But you have to consider the risk. In this case, it's low risk (practically no risk), so it's pretty good.
But if, for example, you were a very Competent and confident Poker player, it wouldn’t be such a good deal, as you could make more money playing poker.

Wait, if you invest ten grand, and you get 15 back, and inflation is say 5% a year, your initial investment is actually worth 12762 in five-years-time-money. I'm sure the difference between that and 15 grand minus 5 years inflation isn't all that much. Or have i got it wrong altogether?
if inflation and interest rates are 5%, and you bank the money, you have €12,762 in five years time.
if you buy the painting, you have €15,000 in five years time. so you're two and a quarter grand better off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back