Banks (1 Viewer)

Any reason why you didn't go for a Revolut or N26? I'm at a loss to understand why anyone sticks with Irish banks at the moment.

Convenience initially.

I already bank with them for a joint account/may be applying for a mortgage soon enough.

May move to something else for day to day banking but I needed to get something sorted for the changeover.

Any reason why you didn't go for a Revolut or N26? I'm at a loss to understand why anyone sticks with Irish banks at the moment.
I opened an account with AIB, and it's been a monster pain in the hole getting everything lined up/moved across - which I did all manually cos the woman in the AIB branch I went into said "filling in the switcher form is all very well, but if anything like a life insurance premium or a mortgage gets dropped that's going to be a big problem for you, and it's ultimately your responsibility". Was she just trying to get AIB off the hook? Maybe, but I didn't want to take the chance, and I'm very glad I didn't cos my salary was paid into the wrong (old) account at the end of July

I avoided revolut/N26 cos I don't want to have to go through all this again if they pull out next (like rabobank did)

Well, the beauty of N26 etc is that they're not based here as such, they're an EU entity so it shouldn't really matter where you are.
At the beginning it was a bit of hassle, cos some archaic direct debit systems didn't like a non IE bank account, but companies weren't allowed discriminate against by law, so it seems to have been swiftly tidied.

Anyway, I ditched Ulster Bank for N26 maybe 4 years ago, and it's been perfect, NO FEES!

I've been through the mill of revolut customer service. Once you fall outside the profit margins the people on the end of those chat windows are very very limited in how much they can do for you and you can't walk in anywhere to talk with a human. Also they work in some country that is a few time zones off here, so if you check in customer service at 9am, you might get handed to another employee at midday and have to start from scratch. Then they sent me those new cards with all the theft details on one side that you can rob in one photo.
So i deleted the account and moved on.

Short term: sexy app*, no fees
Long term: terrible customer model, offshore shareholder loylaties.

As ulster bank are comically are leaving ulster, i ended up with the credit union - for the 1-2 times i need to call them a year there's been a nice staff person on the other end with the same office hours as me who actually is in the credit union building where my digital money rests - not a subcontractor working off a database being squeezed by a line manager.

*all the other banks are making sexy apps right now, hitting the market soon.

side note - another thing that kinda became apparent to me over the last while is that while revolut et al are pushing a lot of instant conveniences as the reason to use them, these are all actual terrible financial practices for an individual.

Was actually dealing with the credit union this morning (having been saving for A Big Holiday for a few years, it's happening in August so I'm starting to have to pay for stuff (very exciting!)) and was sorry I didn't move my current account there. I just fucking ring up and talk to a real person! It's amazing!

side note - another thing that kinda became apparent to me over the last while is that while revolut et al are pushing a lot of instant conveniences as the reason to use them, these are all actual terrible financial practices for an individual.
expansion of side note, as revolut launch BNPL (buy now pay later)

1657282660243.png

revolut is a youth bank - the youths who are already being hammered by the housing crisis are gonna have shocking credit ratings soon.

Was actually dealing with the credit union this morning (having been saving for A Big Holiday for a few years, it's happening in August so I'm starting to have to pay for stuff (very exciting!)) and was sorry I didn't move my current account there. I just fucking ring up and talk to a real person! It's amazing!

That's kinda what put me over the line for a current acc. I had a *thing* that i've been trying to do for a few years and called the office - 20 mins chatting to some nice person on the other end and everything was lined up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back