snow (3 Viewers)

"Finnish Transport Agency spokeswoman Anna Jokela says passengers at the station were warned to stay away from the incoming train before it crashed."

you'd think they'd have warned the train not to crash instead

it's at the station

train-ap-7892468.jpg

A near-empty passenger train ran through a railway platform and crashed into a hotel by Helsinki's main railway station Monday.
A train conductor in the carriage at the time was treated for minor injuries, according to the BBC. No other injuries were reported.
The train's brakes failed and it smashed through a concrete barrier before ending up in a hallway of the Holiday Inn.
Three staff members were on board but there were no passengers, said Timo Saarinen, a spokesperson for the Finnish Rail Administration.
Staff members on the train tried to make an emergency stop to slow the train down, the BBC reported.
A conference room in the part of the hotel that was struck was empty at the time, said Finnish Transport Agency spokesperson Anna Jokela.
It was not immediately known why the brakes failed.

they switched the rails so that the train would hit the hotel instead of the station!

of course I was catching a train to Helsinki while this was going on and had to wade through foot deep snow and jump over barriers to walk a mile to a bus stop. i used to have dreams of getting caught up in these sorts of transportation labyrinth schemes. now i'm living the dream

there wasnt that much snow today, ive certainly seen way more in the past without this kinda chaos (at least i think i have), usually its not so cold though. maybe thats the difference, making it all icy and stuff instead of disappearing fairly quickly

I have an idea in my head that it get's much colder in the midlands. Maybe this coldness is more unusual for Dublin.
But yeah, it has been continually cold for a pretty long time. That must be it.

coming down fairly steady here for the last two hours or so, i'd say it'll be quiet round here today. i've a nice view here over the campus from five floors up, heaters blasting, genesis playing, coffee on
maybe i won't have to be the one to re-postpone a meeting tomorrow if the supervisor's kids have the day off school...

You in Dublin?
It's cold here, Meath/Westmeath, but I think the roads were much worse last year.
The 111 was running this morning, anyway. Nowhere to see if schools are open.

norwich
just went out for a walk around the lake nearby, it's completely frozen - saw two foxes run across it! then i scared a load of ducks and saw a cocky teenager fall off his bike trying to show off. a fine morning's work

Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There were no buses from Whitehall to Swords yesterday so I went to my friend's house and drank tea, ate bickies and watched this "Hardy Bucks" stuff that all you kids have been on about. Then I got a cab home when the traffic mentalness had ended. Can Dublin Bus reimburse me for the fare?

I had an amazing fall yesterday while walking my dog. I pulled me across the road and I slipped and whacked my head off thick ice on the road. I am in a world of pain today.

Ow sounds painful. I fell loads over Christmas. We were housebound so linking each other and seriously gripped shoes were the only way to brave the mile long walk to our local even. Noone would travel out our road in Mayo. And now I'm back Dublin is the same.

My friend fell New year night, broke her collar bone and rang in the new year in A and E. Will be off work for ages cos of it.

Roads seemed better today on my way in. Its sunny now though so there'll be black ice.

When all the snow goes away, roads will be ruined with potholes. Keeping the council busy for months to come

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back