snow (1 Viewer)

wonder what the morning will be like?

from weather reports I've been reading (weather nerds on boards.ie - but they know their stuff), we're due another big fall (or at least theres a strong possibility of one on sunday). Should be ok til then.

There wont be a thaw but gritters will be hard at it from 3:30am. Meaning main roads will probably be fine.

but traffic will be mental

I had to walk my steed home.
There was some awful dicks on bikes today though, today was not the day to be racing through amber lights.

Gonna use the camera tripod as a walking stick tomorrow and take a few pics while I'm at it, should be nice.

I walked some of the way alright. Took 1.5 hours instead of the normal 35mins - from Fairview to Knocklyon. Most mental conditions for cycling ever. Will take a work from home day tomorrow I reckon

from weather reports I've been reading (weather nerds on boards.ie - but they know their stuff), we're due another big fall (or at least theres a strong possibility of one on sunday). Should be ok til then.

There wont be a thaw but gritters will be hard at it from 3:30am. Meaning main roads will probably be fine.

but traffic will be mental

thanks... so buses are a go then...

that's a kind of relief

its class alright.
Like, every year in and around NYC you'd get this but its boring as fuck.

I'm just going out adventuring now looking around the shop only because this is Ireland, and its amazing.
I was in NYC last Feb/Mar when it was -15c (-18 windchill). Its crazy how much better able New Yorkers cope with the weather. Not just the city authorities, but everyone. All were out in their proper winter gear and fully able to go about their normal business.

It really is embarrassing how badly we're coping with it here.

I was in NYC last Feb/Mar when it was -15c (-18 windchill). Its crazy how much better able New Yorkers cope with the weather. Not just the city authorities, but everyone. All were out in their proper winter gear and fully able to go about their normal business.

It really is embarrassing how badly we're coping with it here.

to be fair though, it happens every year out there.
Every. Fucking. Year. And jesus christ the wind would slice bits off you.

Anyway, I've never seen this sort of shit in Ireland. Never. I've never seen it freeze down this hard, so, like its a bit harsh to be giving the corpo static about having no idea how to deal with it. If they had the investment they could probably do a decent job of it. But if the invesment was made then some smart arse would rightly ask why Ireland is investing all its cash in something that almost never gets used.

No?

Anyway, the yanks are mincers compared to Norway. In norway its amazing, they don;t even salt the roads, they through down black gravel, which the sun hits, and melts slightly into the ice. Then the ice becomes concrete. Since the ice never freezes, and everything is so cold, they just build up this gravel ice concrete until the summer comes, and it melts.

Norwegians think they are so cool though. Shooting about on ice like mentallers, slagging off the Danes for being pussies. And the Swedish for being shit at skiing.

Dublin bus site as of 11: 57PM

--

LicenseException: 84.23.10.60 is not a valid ip-address.

dubbus.jpg

hahahaha

to be fair though, it happens every year out there.
Every. Fucking. Year. And jesus christ the wind would slice bits off you.

Anyway, I've never seen this sort of shit in Ireland. Never. I've never seen it freeze down this hard, so, like its a bit harsh to be giving the corpo static about having no idea how to deal with it. If they had the investment they could probably do a decent job of it. But if the invesment was made then some smart arse would rightly ask why Ireland is investing all its cash in something that almost never gets used.

No?

Anyway, the yanks are mincers compared to Norway. In norway its amazing, they don;t even salt the roads, they through down black gravel, which the sun hits, and melts slightly into the ice. Then the ice becomes concrete. Since the ice never freezes, and everything is so cold, they just build up this gravel ice concrete until the summer comes, and it melts.

Norwegians think they are so cool though. Shooting about on ice like mentallers, slagging off the Danes for being pussies. And the Swedish for being shit at skiing.

It wouldn't be fair of me to compare Dublin to NYC alright. But the buses and the airports and the dumb cyclists and the dumb motorists and the mysterious absence (yet again) of John Gormley....it's just shocking altogether. I remember the weather being as bad as this before, it's shouldn't be considered to be that unusual I dont think.

I remember the weather being as bad as this before, it's shouldn't be considered to be that unusual I dont think.

can you?

Maybe it is then. I'm a bit mixed up with Norwegian winters and North American and Irish winters now at this stage. I've no idea what's happening in what country any more.

Possibly I remember Herbert Park pond being icy enough to stand on right enough. When I was very very young, like 5 or something maybe. Stephen's green pond was certainly nowhere close to stand on yesterday, so maybe you're right.

there wasnt that much snow today, ive certainly seen way more in the past without this kinda chaos (at least i think i have), usually its not so cold though. maybe thats the difference, making it all icy and stuff instead of disappearing fairly quickly

that's what I mean.

I've seen snow here, but never seen it this frozen, snow sitting around, air temp sitting near zero for so long.

Always its snowed a bit, hectic a bit, melty melty, end of drama. This is proper winter business right here.

when i was in southern finland last saturday it was -28 and nothing stopped working. on monday a train hit a hotel in helsinki and no one knows why so maybe there's a connection and they should've closed down the airport :confused:

Anything up the North of England, on into Scotland can get pretty nippy alright.

I was potholling in Yorkshire, and everything was frozen up, and the lad in front of me has just clipped off his rope and was walking away from the pot which I was climbing out of. 100m sheer drop sort of thing. Just as he strolled off when he was off the rope he slipped on ice on the edge of the cave and came about a foot away from falling back down the pot.

Up Aviemore direction, right up into Scotland, you're into frozen facial hair and laces territory. We basically are mincers in Ireland alright.

when i was in southern finland last saturday it was -28 and nothing stopped working. on monday a train hit a hotel in helsinki and no one knows why so maybe there's a connection and they should've closed down the airport :confused:

Is it naive to ask what the idea behind having train tracks going into a hotel is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back