Sleater Kinney to play Dublin in August! (1 Viewer)

jaakko said:
tonight's the night!

the latest setlist i could find:

Not many oldies, but i might even prefer it this way. This is gonna be so .|..| and :eek:

i'm hoping this gig will change my mind about my (sort of) disliking of the new album

jaakko said:
tonight's the night!

Not many oldies, but i might even prefer it this way. This is gonna be so .|..| and :eek:

I for one hope that they play more songs off Dig Me Out than that! I am a little bit stoked about this gig cos I really need something to cheer me up at the mo, so it had better rock or there'll be hell to pay!!

I too am not yet convinced by the new album but haven't given it much time to be honest. I tend not to listen to a band much in the lead up to going to see them live in case they don't live up to my expectations.

Zeelander said:
I for one hope that they play more songs off Dig Me Out than that! I am a little bit stoked about this gig cos I really need something to cheer me up at the mo, so it had better rock or there'll be hell to pay!!

I too am not yet convinced by the new album but haven't given it much time to be honest. I tend not to listen to a band much in the lead up to going to see them live in case they don't live up to my expectations.

best album by far!
i'm convinced this gig will make me regret ever saying i didn't like the new album. always happens with me...i go see a band play live and they totally change my mind.

cheryl said:
best album by far!

Yeah, I'd agree with that. But I actually really like the new album--I can understand someone saying that it's overproduced (a criticism I've read in a few reviews of it), but I think that Fridmann's done a good job: for example, putting the vocals slightly lower in the mix than on previous albums allows the playing to really shine like it's never fully done before. And the songs themselves are great. I certainly prefer it to One Beat, which I found kinda disappointing.

cheryl said:
i'm convinced this gig will make me regret ever saying i didn't like the new album. always happens with me...i go see a band play live and they totally change my mind.

I'd love to go see this show, but the MCD factor keeps me away...

Paul

i think i haven't heard their first album yet, but it's unusually difficult for me to pick a #1, they're all that great really

i'd also hope for more dig me out/call the doctor -ones, balancing the new crunchy riffs by some shouting action...

photon said:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. But I actually really like the new album--I can understand someone saying that it's overproduced (a criticism I've read in a few reviews of it), but I think that Fridmann's done a good job: for example, putting the vocals slightly lower in the mix than on previous albums allows the playing to really shine like it's never fully done before. And the songs themselves are great. I certainly prefer it to One Beat, which I found kinda disappointing.

Paul

forget it's MCD (everyone has had to). you're gonna regret not going you know you will.

jaakko said:
tonight's the night!

they've been known to play second encores if you shout enough.......

seriously cannot wait for tonight.

didnt like the woods to begin with but love it now..
dig me out still their best album... turn it on, one more hour, dig me out, WORDS AND GUITAR..

entertain, whats mine is yours, jumpers, rollercoaster and lets call it love best from the woods
theyre going to fucking rock tonight..|..| .|..| .|..|

ive been looking at setlists from the american tour and they do seem to sometimes play two encores.. :D

lady lucan said:
seriously cannot wait for tonight.

didnt like the woods to begin with but love it now..
dig me out still their best album... turn it on, one more hour, dig me out, WORDS AND GUITAR..

entertain, whats mine is yours, jumpers, rollercoaster and lets call it love best from the woods
theyre going to fucking rock tonight..|..| .|..| .|..|

ive been looking at setlists from the american tour and they do seem to sometimes play two encores.. :D

Was just listening to The Woods at lunchtime and it gave me a very sexy feeling. It is a grower alright. Anyone noticed that What's Mine is Yours has the same riff as Nutbush City Limits by Ike & Tina?? ROCK!!!!

gig is not sold out which im amazed at..

lol- nutbush city??!!
thanks for putting that in my head zeelander..
im listening to it now...and singing nutbush city...but then i stop.

whats mine is yours is strongest song from woods..
god i cant wait to see them play it live.
and as for SANSIE!!!
you lucky bitch!!!
youre going to play on same stage, same night as them???!!
you gotta tell us how that went...
shame youre not on tonight so we could hear what your bands like..
loadsa luck tomorrow sansie .|..|

And if you wanna be a friend of mine - cross the river to the Northside!

photon said:

The "Go-Janet-Go-Corin-Go-Carrie" factor draws me there much stronger than any
misgivings I may have about MCD. Anyway, I got in free to the last MCD gig I was at,
courtesy of a "ticket giveaway" on Phantom (yes, that long ago!), so it evens out.

I've been listening to their Chicago gig all week... that and the new Goldfrapp album.

Obviously I can't wait for the gig... an all-Woods set would be fine by me, but as it's their
first time here, they will have to do at least one oldie. And at least one encore...

you have a link for their chicago gig McGonagles??

and if so you didnt share til now??
shame on you. !ironyyy

lady lucan said:
you have a link for their chicago gig McGonagles??
and if so you didnt share til now??

Shame on me??? This thread was pretty much dead all month, until today, and I rarely
have time to wade through all the wonderfully diverse discussions here on Thumped
for the odd S-K post.
But having said that, Kirstie's S-K fashion critique still has me laughing months later.

Anyways...
Remember the S-K Depot? Which shut down a few months ago?
I know someone who was willing to put in a fair bit of effort to get a Depot replacement
server up for free, but apparently nobody at Sub Pop was able to give it an official blessing.

Its current replacement is a web forum, where links to recent live MP3 and FLAC files
get posted. Most are hosted on yousendit.com, where the links expire after 7 days
or a set number of downloads, so popular stuff has to be re-uploaded.

The link is probably expired by now, but the SXSW gig is a much better recording,
and a way better performance (without as many oldies). I'll bring a copy or 2 along
tonight (I'll probably be wearing an S-K t-shirt, so I'll be real easy to spot, heh!).

If you go to www.sleater-kinney.net the forum is called The Trading Post.
I don't have time now (gotta pick out what t-shirt to wear!) but I'll post up links this week.

And just incase there's anyone from IRMA or IMRO reading this, the artist here is
"trader friendly", which means their approach to unofficial live recordings is
"Share it, but don't sell it". And they are not signed to a major label.

Re: Sleater Kinney played Chicago in June...

WOOOP I GOT IN! but i'd even scored an ID off a feminist Canadian singer songwriter.

I also met carrie twice and corin! yes indeed

best gig i've ever been to! my life is complete. today sleater-kinney, tomorrow menopause

how amazing was it???when they played i wanna be yr joey ramone it was worth the admission price alone..i :heart: corin tucker..

far too many spas there too..these 2 girls behind us just talked the entire way thru and we were up the front so they had actually made the effort to get that close to the stage..why bother??and way too many girls in shirt/tank top combo..and too many girls wearing blue fedora style hats..oh wait there was just one..but still one too many!!

but still it rocked my socks off...

muffin said:
how amazing was it???when they played i wanna be yr joey ramone it was worth the admission price alone..i :heart: corin tucker..

far too many spas there too..these 2 girls behind us just talked the entire way thru and we were up the front so they had actually made the effort to get that close to the stage..why bother??and way too many girls in shirt/tank top combo..and too many girls wearing blue fedora style hats..oh wait there was just one..but still one too many!!

but still it rocked my socks off...
the music's still going round in my head! the best gig of my life. they seemed to enjoy it too. pity there didn't seem to be more "fans" at it though.:confused: i went up to the front and there were loads of people standing with their arms crossed..get down the back for god's sake!! in saying that though, there were lots of people dancing which was cool.

cheryl said:
the music's still going round in my head! the best gig of my life. they seemed to enjoy it too. pity there didn't seem to be more "fans" at it

Loved it so much. Embarrassingly, I nearly cried when they started playing:cool:.
Carrie seriously stole the show. Best tracks for me were Jumpers, Entertain, What's Mine Is Yours. I'm so ecstatic to have seen them..|..|.|..|.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back