Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by minka
If you can't name off every person that played on every album by the band, every gig they ever played and everyone they ever collaborated with, then obviously you don't appreciate their music.

this is the same thing as pub bores who can rattle off football scores from the 1982 season off the top of their head.

People think cause its music, its actually more interesting and special, but its not, its the same thing. The music is special, they dry facts are boring.

On saying, this I've been a serious offender of the 'this guy playing keyboards here, that bit there... well he played keybpoards on this other album with this guy here on this single who played guitar on hat album I was playing last week.... remember... isn't that mad!, I think its mad, isn't it! ISN'T IT!!'

admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.

Originally posted by hapi
me too. :p

She is amazing though. I think she's better than Rodrigo. I'll say that to them sometime and put the sibling rivalry into overdrive.:p :p

That's a great idea actually. Have them facing off to each other at a gig. Like a Guitar race, or pistols at dawn. They'd hypnotise the whole fuckin audience! :p :p

Originally posted by Speed Racer
You definitely would. Have you ever lived in a proper city for at least 2 months? Somewhere like New York, London or San Francisco? The diversity in their 'scene' brings both sexes together, and also all sorts of people regardless of their ethnicity.

Em, OKAY. Yes, yes I have lived in several 'proper' cities as you call them and maybe if you had made it clear it was diversity in music you were talking about rather than just 'more happy music', maybe the point would have been clearer or I would have got it. Whatever :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Keeror
I think there is a level of sexism in Dublin underground music. But it's quite subtle, to the extent that the perpetrators don't even realise they are doing it, maybe, and so it 's difficult to pin down and give examples of.

I think there's something in that, alright.

She is amazing though. I think she's better than Rodrigo. I'll say that to them sometime and put the sibling rivalry into overdrive.:p :p

Are they brother and sister? I never knew that. How come they get on so well?

R&G need to write another tune. They only have one, and while it's a good one, it's getting stretched a little thin.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
Em, OKAY. Yes, yes I have lived in several 'proper' cities as you call them and maybe if you had made it clear it was diversity in music you were talking about rather than just 'more happy music', maybe the point would have been clearer or I would have got it. Whatever :rolleyes:

Whatever! Whatever? Nobody whatevers me..ha ha ha:p

Well SORRYYYYY.....there was a lot of train of thought goin on there. Clarity isn't always an option. I didn't mean 'happy' music anyway. I just meant something with more life in it. More exciting. Something that grabs you by the balls! Or .....eh.....the flaps?

sorry, no offence there.

Whatever! Whatever? Nobody whatevers me..ha ha ha:p

Well SORRYYYYY.....there was a lot of train of thought goin on there. Clarity isn't always an option. I didn't mean 'happy' music anyway. I just meant something with more life in it. More exciting. Something that grabs you by the balls! Or .....eh.....the flaps?

I'll grab you by the balls if you like..

Originally posted by aoifed
I didn't know they were brother and sister either.
Is that definite?
THey're really impressive inanyways.

I thought they were boyfriend and girlfriend, hmmmm

Originally posted by conor
oi - pantene, pycho, snaky - get a room!

heh hee hee

that was speedy actually

I think the gist of what Thomas was saying is not: is the Dublin music scene sexist

he's saying: I know it's sexist, what can we do about it

He wants you to be proactive, Dublin

Originally posted by minka
If you can't name off every person that played on every album by the band, every gig they ever played and everyone they ever collaborated with, then obviously you don't appreciate their music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Pantone
this is the same thing as pub bores who can rattle off football scores from the 1982 season off the top of their head.

People think cause its music, its actually more interesting and special, but its not, its the same thing. The music is special, they dry facts are boring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah that's it Pantone!! Not getting all mystical like but it is all about the music and whether you like it, not whether you can rattle off lists and figures off the top of yer head.

I have found this sort of attitude intimidating in the past and it does put me of talking about something i love. So maybe that perpetuates the idea that I don't know what I'm talking about. Errrrrrr...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back