Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Unclealo

Band for Band there are very few current female figureheads/ icons to influence more women to perform at and attend gigs.

Band for band in Dublin, or band for band in general? The vast majority of what I listen to is by women or has a strong female influence. I don't think there's any overt or nasty sexism in Dublin's scene but I do think it's sad that the women who do gig get their appearance commented upon, sometimes before the music. Like, nobody expects any of the men to be attractive. Look at yis, for feck's sake.
;)

Originally posted by helena kim
Band for band in Dublin, or band for band in general? The vast majority of what I listen to is by women or has a strong female influence. I don't think there's any overt or nasty sexism in Dublin's scene but I do think it's sad that the women who do gig get their appearance commented upon, sometimes before the music. Like, nobody expects any of the men to be attractive. Look at yis, for feck's sake.
;)

excuse me but im a ride like, yeah?
and theres millions of girls in the dublin music scene! the chalets have two girls, joan of arse have a big girls blouse for a singer, the hollows have a girl singing and even we have a drummer who has long hair!

Originally posted by pad
nope you're right there. i never did.

i spoke to one once. but thats cause i thought she was a boy.

ah yer not missing much. it's like eating lettuce.

Originally posted by helena kim
Look at yis, for feck's sake. ;)

you don't know how hard it is, standing up there on stage, in front of all those people, those people with their eyes. I'm up there trying to ring out all my white middle class angst on the guitar my daddy bought me, and I know the entire front row are just undressing me with their eyes. I'm trying to make a deep meaningful emotional connection with the audience through the medium of indie pop, and all they can do is stare at me booty and make crude comments about the size of my hands.... its like being a piece of meat. I feel so... bad...

But if I can get through to just one person....

Originally posted by Pantone247
you don't know how hard it is, standing up there on stage, in front of all those people, those people with their eyes. I'm up there trying to ring out all my white middle class angst on the guitar my daddy bought me, and I know the entire front row are just undressing me with their eyes. I'm trying to make a deep meaningful emotional connection with the audience through the medium of indie pop, and all they can do is stare at me booty and make crude comments about the size of my hands.... its like being a piece of meat. I feel so... bad...

But if I can get through to just one person....

nice one trig. here, if you get your shoes to a really nice shine, you could gaze at yerself in them. wring that.

Yes, getting back to the topic at hand...I don't think it's anything to do with the music being too angsty or mopey. The Smiths were one of my favourite bands, I love Elliott Smith, etc. And Speedy I really don't think if you brightened up the music a bit you'd get a more even crowd :confused:.

I've never experienced any sexism from bands in the scene - all the bands we've ever played with have always been 100% cool. The only sexism I've ever gotten is from music shops (No 1 culprits Music Maker) and wanky soundguys. But it doesn't happen that often. I boycott Music Maker and give as good as I get when it comes to bastard soundguys. Hurrah.

I think the main reason there are less women on the scene is because it is traditionally/historically male dominated and it can be quite daunting to try and break into that and so it's difficult to break the mould [see Sleater-Kinney's 'Male Model' for what I'm trying to say here].

Thomas you have to be commended for at least trying to strike a balance. Cheer.

Oh, by the by, I believe there was a post on phantom last week debating whether girls can play guitar or not. I couldn't bring myself to read it - too upsetting and all that. But I hear someone put forth the "their hands are too small" theory. Man oh man.

whether girls can play guitar or not

i presume you have heard the quote from the lovely julie burchill about how women just look wrong playing the guitar? it's in a book on gurls in rock that i have at home.

obviously i didn't mean above that boys only got into bands to get chicks, that being just an aspect of the "being in a band is a cool thing for a boy to do". blah role models blah more sociological stuff blah.

needless to say, i only joined the cake for the groupies. any day now...

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
Oh, by the by, I believe there was a post on phantom last week debating whether girls can play guitar or not. I couldn't bring myself to read it - too upsetting and all that. But I hear someone put forth the "their hands are too small" theory. Man oh man.

*groan* don't remind me of the pain. Where's bad penny model, I blame him for dragging it out.

Originally posted by minka
whether girls can play guitar or not

i presume you have heard the quote from the lovely julie burchill about how women just look wrong playing the guitar?

needless to say, i only joined the cake for the groupies. any day now...

NOOOOooooooo...I'm Melting.... I wash my hands of Julie Burchill. I have rarely seen anything look MORE right than the sight of Carrie Kinney rocking on her Rickenbacker, Kristin Hersh, Tanya Donnelly and Kathleen Hanna...born to rock hard on geetars. Oh yeah, the Peej doesn't look half wrong with her jag. What in the fuck does Burchill mean?

As for the groupies...a surprising perk that I hadn't thought about before joining the bad. No seriously...heh.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
NOOOOooooooo...I'm Melting.... I wash my hands of Julie Burchill. I have rarely seen anything look MORE right than the sight of Carrie Kinney rocking on her Rickenbacker, Kristin Hersh, Tanya Donnelly and Kathleen Hanna...born to rock hard on geetars. Oh yeah, the Peej doesn't look half wrong with her jag. What in the fuck does Burchill mean?

As for the groupies...a surprising perk that I hadn't thought about before joining the bad. No seriously...heh.

yeah i think girls look cute with guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back