Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (2 Viewers)

My experience of going to gigs for as long as I've been in Dublin (nearly 8 years) has been that live music (in particular local alternative music) has been dominated by men.

My thoughts on this are that..

Most 'alternative' music is at least percieved to be made by angst ridden/loner/nerdish males who are unable to relate to the opposite sex. What woman would want to in this kind of atmosphere?

Band for Band there are very few current female figureheads/ icons to influence more women to perform at and attend gigs.

I personally reckon that the only way the underground scene in Ireland will start to grow will be when the audience will become more of a 50/50 mix, where people percieve that they can get the same things from a night out in the Q Bar as they can get at Whelans (or something) i.e. booze and a roide ;) !!

Originally posted by Pantone247

Fair enough ask why don't more women come out to gigs, but throwing terms like 'sexism' round is a little OTT

Pantones right. If women wanna go join the commitees, they can. If they wanna start a band, they can. If they wanna go to gigs, they can. But a smaller amount than the guys seem interested in the whole thing. Thats all. Times change slowly.

Originally posted by Unclealo
....................I personally reckon that the only way the underground scene in Ireland will start to grow will be when the audience will become more of a 50/50 mix, where people percieve that they can get the same things from a night out in the Q Bar as they can get at Whelans (or something) i.e. booze and a roide ;) !!

Plus the music has to become more accessable to the opposite sex. There's alot of brooding Male bands out there, playing similar stuff every week. When some bands arrive with a more brightened attitude towards life and live performances, then a more mixed crowd will be attracted to a gig. Coz they'll have fun. They might even be able to dance to the music.

girls don't *really* like music, they just pretend to so they can hang out with gorgeous blokes. as for girls in bands? ha! very funny!

there's no sexy boys at the THiNGS meetings. get some sexy fellas to go and the girls will follow. don't hate me, just try it like...

to be honest, the dublin indie gigs i've been too haven't been as blokey in their attendance as some of the electronic/dance stuff i like. i've been to some gigs where i feel very left out for not being a bearded, bespectacled man in a large hooded garment (yes, herv, i have been amongst your people).

both my sister and i have been in bands on and off since we were teenagers, and we've talked before about the aforementioned lack of women in "the scene" (man). one thing that came up was that, if you were a young person of the male persuasion when we were young 'uns, "being in a band" was seen as a cool thing to do that would get you the chicks. hence the enormous number of boys ineptly strumming guitars in their garages, some of whom would eventually turn out to be good at it. the same idea didn't seem to exist for girls, so far fewer girls even tried unless they really, really wanted to make music.

this all may be bollocks, needless to say.

and of course, nowadays the cool thing for young people of both genders to do seems to be to wear vast trousers and loiter sulkily next to the central bank, so who knows where that will lead. in my day, young whippersnappers, etc.

maybe the wimmin just have more taste than to hang around poxy venues listening to earnest boys grumble about the lack of gerrils in the world.

or maybe it's cos the sales are on.

Worst I've experienced is people presuming that I'm not promoting or DJing 'coz I'm a lass... ie:

"So when's the DJ arriving" or "Let me talk to whoever's running this thing"

That's just a consequence of misrepresentation, I suppose, people being used to dealing with blokes.

Originally posted by minka

....... one thing that came up was that, if you were a young person of the male persuasion when we were young 'uns, "being in a band" was seen as a cool thing to do that would get you the chicks. hence the enormous number of boys ineptly strumming guitars in their garages, some of whom would eventually turn out to be good at it. the same idea didn't seem to exist for girls, so far fewer girls even tried unless they really, really wanted to make music.

this all may be bollocks, needless to say.

Thats SEXIST! Hahah hahaha.:p Not all guys start bands to get chicks. There's a certain type of band that does that kind of thing. Everyone knows those kinda bands when they come across them. Listo for example. Most Dublin bands I've seen couldn't be further from the 'girl magnet' style Rock n' Roll.

Most guys I know in bands started because they love playing music live more than anything else they've experienced. And want a career in it. Or else just love experimenting, recording and coming up with new wierd soundscapes. Or both. Or maybe they just find life very boring without playing their music.

seriuosly buh, if girls want to be taken seriously in this scene, you've got to stop just 'hanging around' looking 'sexy' and actually do something... like just going to gigs and flirting with the bands is only going to make it harder on yous when you eventually get around to trying to express those inner feelings as opposed to just trying to get off with people from bands... i mean look at aoife! she runs her own club/label, is at peace with herself and rolls a killer spilff. respeck.

so whose hot and whose not ladies

Is it true all the guys in Dublin bands are mingers??

Seeing as there are so many guys in bands, tell us who is hot ladies??

Steve Fannagan (pioneer of death) all the girlies say he's nice looking?, John Brown (trumpet whizz child) ?, that bass player from JOA?, rednecks drummer? one of the Uptown Racquet boys?, Glen (ginger Pubes) Hansard?...spill the beans girls

!bog

Re: so whose hot and whose not ladies

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Is it true all the guys in Dublin bands are mingers??

Seeing as there are so many guys in bands, tell us who is hot ladies??

Steve Fannagan (pioneer of death) all the girlies say he's nice looking?, John Brown (trumpet whizz child) ?, that bass player from JOA?, rednecks drummer? one of the Uptown Racquet boys?, Glen (ginger Pubes) Hansard?...spill the beans girls

!bog

if i was a girl, i totally would:

Steve Fannagan: not my type.
John Brown: totally.
That bass player from JOA: mmmmmm.
Rednecks drummer: could have a bit more meat on him. but matty? jesus, hold me back...
One of the Uptown Racquet boys: mr. donohue is indeed a fine specimen.
Glen (ginger Pubes) Hansard: what the fuck???

if i was a girl that is. since i'm not, i couldn't possibly comment.

Originally posted by hapi
seriuosly buh, if girls want to be taken seriously in this scene, you've got to stop just 'hanging around' looking 'sexy' and actually do something... like just going to gigs and flirting with the bands is only going to make it harder on yous when you eventually get around to trying to express those inner feelings as opposed to just trying to get off with people from bands... i mean look at aoife! she runs her own club/label, is at peace with herself and rolls a killer spilff. respeck.

AAAAaaahh Hapi, yer making me blush.
I'm going to have to correct you though (only because the gentleman who runs Front End is on this forum)- I don't run the label, I simply help sustain it... in a kind of housewife way ;) .

Originally posted by aoifed
AAAAaaahh Hapi, yer making me blush.
I'm going to have to correct you though (only because the gentleman who runs Front End is on this forum)- I don't run the label, I simply help sustain it... in a kind of housewife way ;) .

Like Marge Simpson?

ye saps. ninety percent of yer bands in dublin all think they're girls. the other 10 percent just hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back