Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (3 Viewers)

new daemien frost song has lyrics ... goes something like ... "hey dublin, hey limerick, hey cork, hey galway ... join the musique flow..." it sounds fuckin deadly.

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
I'll grab you by the balls if you like..

Jayzus....sorry for the crude joke like. I thought you'd like it. And I wouldn't like if you grabbed me by the balls, coz by a freakish oddity of Mother Nature I was born with three testicles! So thats why, when it comes to the old in n' out I've always had to wear two con.........

ooops, sorry there I go again.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Jayzus....sorry for the crude joke like. I thought you'd like it. And I wouldn't like if you grabbed me by the balls, coz by a freakish oddity of Mother Nature I was born with three testicles! So thats why, when it comes to the old in n' out I've always had to wear two con.........

Well then here's a perfect opportunity to fix your little third ball problem without surgery...per se .

Originally posted by hapi
speedy, you need to ummm... visit the vet and he needs to ummm... put you down. fuck.

Now you've hurt my feelings you stick wielding beast. I dunno if I can take yer jibes any more? And I thought being nicknamed 'Triballs' in school was bad. But people like you.......booo hoooo.......can't fin....ish

:( :( :( :( :( :(

!bog hapi!bog

Originally posted by hapi
speedy, you need to ummm... visit the vet and he needs to ummm... put you down. fuck.

I think this something both men and women of the Dublin scene can all agree on! Hurrah!

Speedy you are the maryter that brought us together, good for you.

don't feel obliged to reply to this....

seriously, theres no need....

Most of the points I wanted to raise have been raised already, but I'd like to second a few things:

1) Out-and-out sexism from people in music shops (both instrument and record shops, I should add) - this is particularly bad in Dublin but I have experienced it elsewhere
2) The "when's-the-DJ-arriving" syndrome - ooooh, that really makes my blood boil, if there's a fella in the DJ box with me he always gets automatically approached. Mind you, blokes may be put off approaching women in bands, but when I'm DJing I get constantly chatted up (by men, women, small children, parrots etc.). I've even got several marriage proposals, but I think that was just so they could get their hands on my records.
3) The small fingers/can't play guitar thing - I have Lisa Simpson-style stubby fingers, which I must confess has hindered my bass playing a bit, but then I know excellent bass players with hands just as small, so maybe I'm just shite. I keep threatening to learn the mandolin, where weenchy fingers might be an advantage, but haven't got round to it.
4) Fellas' nerdy trainspottery approach to music - I do genuinely think that women and men show their appreciation for music in different ways, e.g. even though I know a fair few women with impressive record collections, I don't know any who give two shites about first presssings/limited editions etc.
5) I think it's important to encourange women to get involved with music, but not just because they're women - no point in putting on a shite female band/DJ just because they're female (I witnessed some amazing and some dreadful stuff during Ladyfest London last year).
6) Hapi, I'm glad you stopped being retarded, I was on the point of booking a flight home just to punch you.

Originally posted by Lolo
6) Hapi, I'm glad you stopped being retarded, I was on the point of booking a flight home just to punch you.

oh hi lolo :) how you guys keepin over there? give willy a juicy one for me, eh?

Loads of women who I've known like listening to music and bought bass guitars in their teens, then never learned to play them.
They either sit at home or were loaned away and never returned.
Why is that?
Exception would be Caroline from Null Set/Tucker Suite who I agree had a deadly individual style, but she's not arsed anymore either.

I know two women who are learning to drum at the minute.
Women know how to use toms.

Hiya Lolo!

Loads of women who I've known like listening to music and bought bass guitars in their teens, then never learned to play them.
Why is that?

if that's the case, that's most peculiar. have you known blokes to buy instruments and not learn to play them?

i can't imagine doing it meself. god knows the musical instruments are expensive (incidentally, if anyone would like to contribute to a wonderful and worthy charity called "buy minka a bass clarinet off ebay"....?).

My old band had a female drummer, female singer and female bass player at various stages - can't say i noticed any difference between the male and female musicians I've played with

I can't think of an intelligent reason why there are fewer women in bands. I've asked various girls about this before and they mentioned that self confidence might be a factor.

It would be nice to see a better mix (ages, sexes, races) in the Dublin scene, but I'm not sure if it's something you can generate. I think it is getting easier to be involved in the music scene and that this is opening it up to people who may not have stuck with it previously. As long as bands on the scene are open to helping out newer bands with advice or whatever, then there should be some sort of improvement. I've certainly benefitted from plenty of sound advice and help from other more established bands, without which i wouldn't be the virtually unknown nobody that i am.

So, if a band asks where to buy guitar strings, instead of saying fuck, prick, shit, just give them whatever advice you can. It's the little things people. The little things.

I've even got several marriage proposals, but I think that was just so they could get their hands on my records.

I think i may have been responsible to one of those marriage proposals actually. I do believe i was very rudely/drunkenly going through your records in the music centre about 3 years ago
Sorry
It was one of my first times at screamadelica, possibly the first and i had discovered the joys of vodka shots for £1

I always thought lack of girls in bands was the same as lack of girls in sports. Its a testosterone thing half the time. And the half the time its actually to do with the music (man) they are represented, by the, like , minority and stuff. come on, Im new!!!

Why is that?

if that's the case, that's most peculiar. have you known blokes to buy instruments and not learn to play them?

No. Except for me and Alan Kelly who bought blow things and never got that sorted. Yet.

Indie-rock vs indie-folk was the other thing Thomas asked about.
What about that one then?

1) Out-and-out sexism from people in music shops (both instrument and record shops, I should add) - this is particularly bad in Dublin but I have experienced it elsewhere

3) The small fingers/can't play guitar thing - I have Lisa Simpson-style stubby fingers, which I must confess has hindered my bass playing a bit, but then I know excellent bass players with hands just as small, so maybe I'm just shite. I keep threatening to learn the mandolin, where weenchy fingers might be an advantage, but haven't got round to it.

Back to the fingers business - i do have *really* small hands - not just fingers - which is a bit difficult. maybe i just need a smaller guitar :p but i do have a song coming along nicely.

also yeah i agree with the people thinking you know nothing in record shops and particularly instrument shops-a guy laughed at me when i went in to get strings once and I wasn't sure which ones i wanted :(

Originally posted by eclectichoney
also yeah i agree with the people thinking you know nothing in record shops

I don't think that's a problem just for girls, some record shop people are just muppets

People in music shops just behave condescendingly cos you're young and enthusiastic and they're all old and washed up.

Now that I'm like them, they're quite friendly to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back