Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (1 Viewer)

I briefly saw a programme about sea-horses there yesterday. The men get pregnant... but they're men because they produce sperm and the women produce the eggs. However, the males were still more aggressive. They don't listen to our land-music though. But if they did, I'd say they'd be into indie. Their favourite band would probably be John Squire's post-Rolling Oasis Baggy Monday's project, The Seahorses*

*Chin-stroking note: The lead singer of that band was a busker.

Originally posted by snakybus
nope

you're thinking of Penguins

understandable mix up

ah here, not just any owld penguins. emperor penguins. specifically.

what's the deal with kangaroos and the pouch buh? Isn't it that the kangaroo junior gets bornt as basically not much more than a gluey embryo and has to climb into the pouch to continue the rest of its gestation till it's nice and big and ready to be served up as steaks?

Originally posted by stunning
Speedy, Darling. That is such a bullshit cop out. I hate the term Politically Correct or PC. Know why? Because the fucking CHRISTIAN RIGHT WING in America made the term up to keep the noisy rable rousers who were choking for liberation quiet. It's sole purpose is to devalue the cause of the oppressed in their struggle for freedom.
Don't be afraid of speaking the truth about the alienation of our societies. They'll call you PC and use it as an insult...its just ego games. Don't believe the hype.

If someone says you're stepping on their toes...what's wrong with saying..."Oh wow, sorry...I didn't realize I was doing that. Can you show me a way to stand here and not step on your toes?"

Call me PC all you want, it doesn't matter...I'll still spend my days tearing down a society that uses a terrorizing slave-based economy to keep the poor and the marginalized powerless over their own lives.

Brick by brick. (Or in my case, prick by prick...couldn't resist!)

Love,

Thomas

Thomas, Darling, don't freak out. I'm not dissin you or your beliefs. I'm just saying that after living in the states, and experiencing first hand, complete PC-ness in everyday social situations, it came to the point were sometimes nobody could joke about anything or laugh at anything.

I meant PC in that way. I'm not saying slavery n all the stuff you would like to see brought down shouldn't be. Then one day we (myself and my brother) were workin with a few black guys, on Long Island (Landscaping) and one of them turns to me and asks if we would call him 'nigger' coz all of the other black guys called each other that. We said no way, it feels wrong. Then he said, "whats a bad name to call Irish people?" I said Paddies. So he goes, "You call us niggers, we call you Paddies". And the rest of the day was a blast. And all of the other days we worked with them. Now I am bearing in mind that they were very open minded guys to do something like that. I don't give a shit if someone calls me Paddy abroad. Or tells Paddy jokes. I think its funny.

Anyway, just an example of a situation where people willingly forget their inhibitions and relax and slag each other in a friendly way to pass the time. Coz they were callin each other nigger every minute anyway. And I was a Paddy. Happy Days they was.

turns out planet of the apes was earth. buh in the future and all. how about that?

yeah so anyway, I got V: the original miniserious on DVD in Virgin for 12.99 at the weekend, and basically ran home as fast as my legs would carry me to watch it. But the fucking thing only goes up to as far as just before Robin gives birth to the reptile babby. Fucking raging I am.

yeah but come on, imagine leaving out that bit. Jaysis
The normal effects are quite stunning though.

It's mama kangaroo that has the pouch, Kirstie, I reckon. The little embryo lad crawls from the ma's ... em ... gee into the pouch along its ma's fur - might have trouble making the leap between parents at that stage of its development

don't have time to post up a proper response but, on buying a ticket for slayer about 3 years ago in a certain record shop in dublin i got asked 'what just 1 ticket love....but it'll be rough and you'll get knocked about a fair bit' on entering said gig bouncer chap says to me '..keep to the back love and i'll keep an eye out for you..'

on trying to buy original press Ogdens Nutgone Flake in another dublin shop about 10 years ago: '......oh thats an orginal press love, we've the CD over there...'

and i've got big hairy bollox and a marshall stack

yer pop music is still seen as the playground of girls and women and rock and indie, punk and hip hop etc. male terrain over here. i think it's a backward Irish thing, i mean we only just stop dancing at the cross roads

(names and dates omitted to preserve own dignity)

Originally posted by kirstie
yeah but come on, imagine leaving out that bit. Jaysis
The normal effects are quite stunning though.

i remember watching the re-run on sky, but i don't actually remember anything about it. at all. cept the scalies. and some bloke called sam francisco. unless i'm mad. unless it was earth all along?

Originally posted by Hector Grey
i remember watching the re-run on sky, but i don't actually remember anything about it. at all. cept the scalies. and some bloke called sam francisco. unless i'm mad. unless it was earth all along?

SAM FRANCISCO? :)
Are you tellin' fibs, Master Grey?

Originally posted by egg_
It's mama kangaroo that has the pouch, Kirstie, I reckon. The little embryo lad crawls from the ma's ... em ... gee into the pouch along its ma's fur - might have trouble making the leap between parents at that stage of its development

yeah I just looked it up. In my demented head I was imagining that it crawled into its da's pouch and lived there for 300 days. But how foolish of me, sure wouldn't the da kangaroo's pouch be all full of spare car parts, pipes and spanners though??

Originally posted by madouva
SAM FRANCISCO? :)
Are you tellin' fibs, Master Grey?

that's what i'm saying. he was an alien cop or something.

here buh, teh allegory, wha? aliens? i mean, the hidden meaning. THE HIDDEN MEANING. so deep.

Originally posted by Hector Grey

Oh not much to remember except the aliens arrive and the leader is called John. They come in peace until they don't come in peace and then they start a conspiracy against all the scientists, hysterically enough. Evil Diana is deadly as slut reptile woman, then one of them knocks up a stupid earth girl and parallels are drawn between the plight of the victimised scientists and the jews in Belsen. The effects are spectacular in their normalness and the acting is dire. In short, it is a triumph.

McDonagh's in Dalkey serve Kangaroo steaks. They don't serve pregnant males though. They're barred.

Perhaps if Indie boys were made to get pregnant they'd winge less. They'd nag instead. A bit like seahorses. And I hate the abbreviation P.C. .....It's Workstation!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back