Secterianism (1 Viewer)

mackle

Been thinking about this a lot the last few days and it's really annoying me how stupid it is up here. Kinda been brought on by an incident on Saturday. Basically I was hanging around with my friends from another town who are all protestants. Anyway a friend of theirs who I have talked to loads any time I've been hanging around with them and who I was starting to consider a friend as well was with us. This guy is also a protestant. So he finds out I am from a catholic background and he decides that he can't hang around with me anymore. Apparently his best mate started seeing a catholic girl and he wouldn't talk to him anymore.

Why are people so stupid about these things? The whole idea of being secterian really is silly beyond belief. I thought a lot of it seemed to be dying out and the only ones that were still so stupid were old fools like Paisley and the like but apparently not.

Don't know what the point of this is just pretty annoying. Plus most of these people don't listen to reason so you can't even talk to them!

Any other Northern IReland people experience much of this or know how to deal with it?

im not from northern ireland but last year experienced the full wack of sectarianism..i was up working in craigavon and was drivin along with my mates when carl took a wrong turn and we ended up slap bang in the middle of a protestant area..all blue,white and red painted kerbs and huge murals...i was absolutely shitting myself..so we couldnt stop to ask for directions so we ended up just drivin in this area for ages..we finally got out and decided to go grab some food..we got out of the car and we were chatting away when this dude just stops and turns around and stares at us...we must have sounded strange alright cos im irish,james is nordie and carl is english but still i dont think ive ever been so afraid for our safety...

fuck that dude who wont be yr mate..if he chooses to be a bigot hes a prick...

Ciaran Mackle said:
Been thinking about this a lot the last few days and it's really annoying me how stupid it is up here. Kinda been brought on by an incident on Saturday. Basically I was hanging around with my friends from another town who are all protestants. Anyway a friend of theirs who I have talked to loads any time I've been hanging around with them and who I was starting to consider a friend as well was with us. This guy is also a protestant. So he finds out I am from a catholic background and he decides that he can't hang around with me anymore. Apparently his best mate started seeing a catholic girl and he wouldn't talk to him anymore.

Why are people so stupid about these things? The whole idea of being secterian really is silly beyond belief. I thought a lot of it seemed to be dying out and the only ones that were still so stupid were old fools like Paisley and the like but apparently not.

Don't know what the point of this is just pretty annoying. Plus most of these people don't listen to reason so you can't even talk to them!

Any other Northern IReland people experience much of this or know how to deal with it?
You probably should have told him about last year's little church / school incident.

muffin said:
im not from northern ireland but last year experienced the full wack of sectarianism..i was up working in craigavon and was drivin along with my mates when carl took a wrong turn and we ended up slap bang in the middle of a protestant area..all blue,white and red painted kerbs and huge murals...i was absolutely shitting myself..so we couldnt stop to ask for directions so we ended up just drivin in this area for ages..we finally got out and decided to go grab some food..we got out of the car and we were chatting away when this dude just stops and turns around and stares at us...we must have sounded strange alright cos im irish,james is nordie and carl is english but still i dont think ive ever been so afraid for our safety...

fuck that dude who wont be yr mate..if he chooses to be a bigot hes a prick...

Oh fuck I would be scared to drive through craigavon. It's about 20 minutes walk from where I live. God I hate that place so much. The amount of my friends that have ended up with severing beatings for being near there. Total shithole. Drugs capital of N.I as well.

pete said:
You probably should have told him about last year's little church / school incident.

Speaking of that incident. My second cousin is one of those guys who collects money at mass and he was talking to the priests in the chapel and they said that the way that I was treated for what I done was the most uncatholic way to deal with the situation and that the school was even more wrong than I was. Made me very happy.

oh shit said:
i thought ballymena was the drugs capital... are you sure craigavon isn't the scum capital?

Nah I'm from the craigavon area so it can hardly be the scum capital. But yeh I'm pretty sure it is the drugs capital. Watched one of those UTV insight shows about it.

I've a mate who's been studying up in Queen's, and whenever this topic comes up in conversation, he always remarks on the sectarianism in Queens. He says, everyone acts all studenty and enlightened and academic, but there's an undercurrent of sectarian tension running through everything, especially come student union elections. I was surprised that it'd be found in Queens, which you would think would be full of people that should know better.
Well, that's what yerman told me anyway, any Queen's students here? Is it like that?

So I dunno Mackle, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't live up there. This sectarian business just boggles my mind dude.

I'm no help at all.

No surprise that it's found in Queen's, it's full of shitheads. Queen's is a seriously fucking horrible place.
Anyway, the only people that are sectarian are huns, everyone knows that.
Mackle you could at least spell sectarianism right.

union elections are usually contested by prim, proper young unionists, or young sinners. and there's an army of GAA wearin muppets. and the toilets are graffitied with occasional sectarian idiocy.
but then again, most students are from NI, so why should it be a surprise if society in queens mirrors that of everywhere outside.
and i'd love to meet these people who act academic. most of them act like shithead muppets.

Take your anger out on Lefty and theweeyin that post here.
They are both prods.

We are all behind you Mac,we would die for Ireland.

Ciaran Mackle said:
This guy is also a protestant. So he finds out I am from a catholic background and he decides that he can't hang around with me anymore. Apparently his best mate started seeing a catholic girl and he wouldn't talk to him anymore.

?

he sounds like a closet case catholic.
your second cousin just sounds like a total closet case.
collecting at mass! pfft! maybe at a black mass...

pad said:
whats this? sounds intriguing. did the church fight the school with sticks? sticks of butter?

Mackle burnt a church when he went through a 3 week obsession with Norwegian black metal.

Bit of childish fun,nothing to make a big deal over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back