Hobbies (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Inspired by the conversation in the Your Work Situation thread, what do you do in terms of hobbies? I figured a catch all thread would be good as most hobbies will be pretty niche. Also, no music as that is essentially the only reason we’re all here and there are loads of threads for those.

At the moment, I’ve gotten big into models (the miniature plastic kind rather than London Fashion Week waifs) and gaming. I posted the Judge Death model I made and painted on another thread but I’ve also been doing little Warhammer models and playing D&D online with my friends. Nerdy but very satisfying.

I’ve just ordered some stuff for making water features and going to have a go at something like this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used to do a lot of photography too but it died a death for me a few years ago. I still have a DSLR and a few decent lenses but never crack them out. Plan to take my bike back out tomorrow, we’ll see how that goes.

Photography became difficult post children, and then my camera stopped working... and I hate my smartphone camera... so I have gone back to old hobby loves. Knitting, writing (with fountain pens... there's a rabbit hole there I'm trying not to fall into "dip pen caligraphy" anyone?) and model making. We've no garden, but I grow what I can on windowsills (anyone want a rubber tree? we have 3).

Nothing fruity like that for me, mostly just the usual stuff everyone likes plus learning Persian. I did a couple of terms of bridge lessons, I might do it again but.I'm not that pushed. I'd like to be able to set dance but I chickened out after one lesson a year or so ago.

If you're into modeling there's a lad on youtube making these astonishing model planes, which are therapeutic to watch.

I was really into underwater plants for a long time. Like growing plants in aquariums, trying to get a freshwater biotope deal going.

Nothing fruity like that for me, mostly just the usual stuff everyone likes plus learning Persian. I did a couple of terms of bridge lessons, I might do it again but.I'm not that pushed. I'd like to be able to set dance but I chickened out after one lesson a year or so ago.
I often meant to ask you: What made you want to learn Persian?

This is what you get if you combine @Squiggle and @hiadudiad? hobby

I like the look of Mongolian actually which maybe China is trying to ban a little ?

I often meant to ask you: What made you want to learn Persian?
tl;dr whim + time on my hands

I was always kinda curious about Iran and wanted to go. Around 2015 I started to think I might be able to afford to go within a few years and since I was living alone in the sticks at that time I thought I might as well start learning the language. I regretted not having any of the language when I went to Indonesia. I started doing Skype lessons again recently, my teacher has Covid.

Some time before that in the torrent sites I saw Pimsleur's Urdu course and started leaning it just on a whim. Bought calligraphy pens and everything as was enjoying it but I gave it up after a month or two as it just seemed too pointless. But I had the basics of the script so that was sort of a head start for Farsi. I can still barely string a sentence together.

@hiadudiad? Any interactions I've had over here with Iranians / Persian speaking Afghans, (and along with Ethiopians) seem to suggest a very deeply sound bunch of lads.

It's silly to generalize, but man. I've become tired of traveling and moving around generally speaking, but from interacting with those guys I'd be up for going to Iran, Afghanistan, and Ethiopia.

Well. Finnish people are usually funny bastards.

But, yeah, I'd agree with you. Learning Farsi sounds like an excellent idea now that I'm thinking about it.

fountain pens

Oh boy. Yeah. Pen fetishist.

I can barely write, I started off writing with my left hand and then decided to switch over to right handedness because I was smudging everything writing in the left to right direction and people were taking the piss out of me, I only learned how to read when I was ten, now I'm gradually switching back to left handedness, all to consistently disastrous results, and I'm dyslexic. But holy shit, I love pens.

I usually buy Chinese knock offs of classic fountain pens online, because I can't justify anything else. I have a ridiculous little leather satchel yoke that I store them in, and various bottles of expensive ink. Then I tune the nibs, and break them in. I think *everyone else* gets physically thrilled about pens, and I buy them pen presents, and ink.

There was a pen shop I'd go into in Dublin when I was young, and I'd have butterflies in my stomach. I found a pen shop in Manhattan when I was working there a few year back, and I STILL had butterflies in my stomach.

I fucking love pens. I really want to buy this one, with a fine or medium nib, but there's no way I can justify it.

I'd love to visit Iran. Not in fuckin Summer though, that's for sure

So... you might be surprised. Those ridiculously hot places are not always as bad as you'd think.

DC / NYC are unrelentingly brutal. They're almost as bad at night as the day. But that's because of the black body radiation, and humidity.

I've been in the Andes and other mountainous places where it's 30-40C, or more, during the day. But no humidity, and then the night crashes right down to Fairly Nippy degrees C.

Even during the day it's nowhere close to as bad as the likes of a still Bronx afternoon in August, and the fact things cool off at night means the heat doesn't exhaust you as much.

But, I dunno, I've never been to Iran. It might be a heat horrorshow. I'd check the humidity and night temps though, it might not be as bad as you'd think.

Although, it's not Cork, admittedly.

So... you might be surprised. Those ridiculously hot places are not always as bad as you'd think.

DC / NYC are unrelentingly brutal. They're almost as bad at night as the day. But that's because of the black body radiation, and humidity.

I've been in the Andes and other mountainous places where it's 30-40C, or more, during the day. But no humidity, and then the night crashes right down to Fairly Nippy degrees C.

Even during the day it's nowhere close to as bad as the likes of a still Bronx afternoon in August, and the fact things cool off at night means the heat doesn't exhaust you as much.

But, I dunno, I've never been to Iran. It might be a heat horrorshow. I'd check the humidity and night temps though, it might not be as bad as you'd think.

Although, it's not Cork, admittedly.
Ha a lad I know from Tehran (Mehran from Tehran I always love to call him) told me it's usually up around 40º there in the Summer, like fuuuuuuuuccckkkkkkk that

See... it depends.

You'd think 40C is bad. And... it is.

But if it's dry, and you can get shade, it's actually grand.

I'd prefer Nevada/Arizona over DC for example. Because you can control things, if you get me. In DC the heat just builds. The Bronx just gets HOTTER. Every. Fucking. Day.

Az gets blindingly hot, for a few hours, then it's grand. Plus it smells kind of nice at night.

But, I mean, I'm leaving the US, because I'm no longer able to deal with the heat, so... yeah, possibly full of shite here. Still, I'd give it a go, assuming the humidity is ok. Whihc I think it is in Iran.

If you're into modeling there's a lad on youtube making these astonishing model planes, which are therapeutic to watch.

I was really into underwater plants for a long time. Like growing plants in aquariums, trying to get a freshwater biotope deal going.

Focke Wulf would be a great band name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back