Ryanair offers to buy Aer Lingus (1 Viewer)

so they (semi) privatise the company, but are now up in arms because they don't like the person who wants to increase his stake in aer lingus. Did the Government\Are Lingus Management assume that only people they find agreeable would purchase shares...i thought at this stage that the government had a firm understanding of market economics.

apparently Are Lingus management have said no and have asked shareholders to also reject this audacious and oppertunistic bid...as if the shareholders are sitting on their moral thrones, shaking their heads in disbelief at poor delusional o'learys plan. I think you will find that most shareholders are quiet happy with the current development, considering that the share price is shooting up.

and the argument that o'leary is undervalueing aer lingus is a lame duck. The government undervalued aer lingus when it touted the airline to the market and made it's decision on the inital share price.

The last few times I've flown out of the country it mostly been cheaper to fly with Aer Lingus than Ryanair when you factor in stuff like the additional cost of getting from an airport waaaayyyyyyy out from where you actually want to go.

Jet Blue in the states do coast to coast flights on the budget model (my favourite airline actually, great service, really nice planes) and that's a 5 hour trip from NYC to LA so it's not beyond the rhealm of possibility that it could be done on a transcontinental basis. I'm flying to LA for about €500 next month and I still reckon that's not a bad deal.

and the argument that o'leary is undervalueing aer lingus is a lame duck. The government undervalued aer lingus when it touted the airline to the market and made it's decision on the inital share price.

even if O'Leary doesn't get the shares this time, he still has a good whack of voting rights. if he started acting the mick and causing trouble he could *really* undervalue aer lingus and pick up the remaining shares for a song...

'long live free enterprise'

I don't see how this can be stopped and just shows up what a stupid idea it was in the first place to put Aer Lingus up for sale. The government/Aer Lingus really can't decide one minute to sell off the airline, but then turn around and say "oh hang on a minute, we didn't mean sell it to you".

It's ironic that Ryanair, who have continually championed the cause of competition as a way of getting a better deal for consumers, are now seeking to establish themselves as a monopoly. It's not that surprising I suppose as any business will ultimately try to establish dominance in the market and stamp out the competition (Ryanair have already done this to some extent by thwarting other airlines attempts to set up here). If this goes through it will be bye-bye to all those nice low fares offers. Maybe the competition authority would stop it ... I dunno ....

And on the subject of safety/conditions etc. I know someone who used to be a pilot for Ryanair. I've talked to him about it. I now don't want to fly Ryanair again unless absolutely necessary. They also treat the majority of their staff like shit.

It's ironic that Ryanair, who have continually championed the cause of competition as a way of getting a better deal for consumers, are now seeking to establish themselves as a monopoly. It's not that surprising I suppose as any business will ultimately try to establish dominance in the market and stamp out the competition (Ryanair have already done this to some extent by thwarting other airlines attempts to set up here).

have they?

my feeling was the 'competition' factor was a bit void, yeah it's elimnating competition in Ireland, but air travel is really an international market place and that's where Ryan Air would be competiting... still plenty going on out there... I would think that buying Aerlingus, with their routes and fleet, is the start of O'Learys 'budget' transatalantic flights trip

*shrug*

I could be way off, just my 2 cents

I don't see how this can be stopped and just shows up what a stupid idea it was in the first place to put Aer Lingus up for sale. The government/Aer Lingus really can't decide one minute to sell off the airline, but then turn around and say "oh hang on a minute, we didn't mean sell it to you".

It's ironic that Ryanair, who have continually championed the cause of competition as a way of getting a better deal for consumers, are now seeking to establish themselves as a monopoly. It's not that surprising I suppose as any business will ultimately try to establish dominance in the market and stamp out the competition (Ryanair have already done this to some extent by thwarting other airlines attempts to set up here). If this goes through it will be bye-bye to all those nice low fares offers. Maybe the competition authority would stop it ... I dunno ....

And on the subject of safety/conditions etc. I know someone who used to be a pilot for Ryanair. I've talked to him about it. I now don't want to fly Ryanair again unless absolutely necessary. They also treat the majority of their staff like shit.
Nice post.

I never use the pricks cause they left me and my girlfriend in an airport in the UK somewhere, cause they screwed something with there timetables up. Instead of putting the passengers on the next flight, they told us to fuck off.
Except they didnt even have the balls to tell us to fuck off, cause they knew they would be lynched. So they sent some poor gimp from the airport to do it.

We were left waiting for a day.

Cost us a fortune, and I missed giving a lecture in Ireland.
Honesty... I would like to HARM that O'Leary cunt.
Not so bad as to make him walk with a limp for the rest of his life, but, leave scarring. On the right hand maybe.

A group of Aer Lingus pilots has reportedly bought up €24m worth of shares in the airline in an effort to block a takeover by Ryanair.

Reports this morning say the pilots bought up the shares for €3.05 each yesterday, giving them a 1.6% stake in the national carrier.

Last week, Ryanair announced that it had acquired almost 20% of shares and was offering €2.80 each for the remainder in an effort to get a controlling majority stake.

The Government, however, has said it will not be selling its remaining 28% stake, while the Employee Share Ownership Trust is also unlikely to part with its 12% holding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back