Road Records - A message from the staff (3 Viewers)

This is incredibly sad news.

Just want to thank Dave and Julie for being so consistently friendly and supportive from the moment I walked in off the street some years ago, not knowing a soul in Dublin...it was always an honour to deal with them.

Road have been a very good friend to me and of course a lot of other independent bands/labels feel the same...

I've learnt so much about music from them.

I've even made friends through finding independent CDs in Road and talking about other unusual CDs we found in that shop and nowhere else... bumping into friends on fade st coming out of/going into Road...

This loss will be a huge dent in Ireland, not just Dublin.

Road Records are and should always remain to be an inspiration to anyone wanting to start something independently. It was a tough thing for anyone to do (anywhere at anytime) opening an Independent music shop from scratch... but they did it.

Eternal love and respect,

Neassa/poltergeist

x

Ah shite. This is fucking horrendous news. It was the first place I sought out when I moved to Dublin in 2001.
I'm completely shocked by the news, I really thought it would make it. But this is the exact sort of complacency that has increasingly lead to me buying stuff online, and ultimately contributing to the closure.
Best of luck to Dave and Julie with whatever they do next. And thanks very much for a wonderful shop that helped me discover so much fantastic music. It's really shit that I can't make it home for a visit before it's gone.

I posted this on another forum a number of years ago in a thread about record shop closures:

the world ends if Road Records in Dublin ever closes.
Fuck.

will there be/should there be a 'goodbye Road' send off gig? Maybe in Whelans or somewhere?
I'm sure there are people on here who'd know who would be best to play/organise it, and funds could be raised for Dave & Julie and the baby.
They could also sell any remaining cds/records there or bands could sell cds with proceeds going to the couple.
Just a thought.

Im already on it

will there be/should there be a 'goodbye Road' send off gig? Maybe in Whelans or somewhere?
I'm sure there are people on here who'd know who would be best to play/organise it, and funds could be raised for Dave & Julie and the baby.
They could also sell any remaining cds/records there or bands could sell cds with proceeds going to the couple.
Just a thought.

So sorry to hear that Dave, yourself and Julie have done nothing but good for Dublin. Such sad news, but you can be sure you've enriched the lives of so many people! Good luck with whatever you do next.

Very much seconded. I took Stan in there on one of his first visits to Dublin and we were regular customers too, but it's sadly true about older customers coming in less often - it was definitely true of us because boring adult things like mortgages and bills get in the way of disposable-income-disposing, and as a result we've not been regular purchasers in Road for some time.

I'm very sad to hear about this, but of course wish the three of you all the absolute best for the future, and something tells me we ain't seen the last of you enterprising pair, either.

utterly devestated and disheartened by this news. not done it for a long time, but i used to love popping in for a chat and a cup of tea. i can't even begin to estimate how invaluable their support for the corpo and other such bands has been over the years (it was thanks to dave and julie cajoling all their customers into buying a corpo single one day years ago that we cracked the top 30!)

it doesn't count for much, but there are a couple of corpo records in the store, and we're not even going to dream of collecting the cash for them. any other local bands up for it?

it doesn't count for much, but there are a couple of corpo records in the store, and we're not even going to dream of collecting the cash for them. any other local bands up for it?

Fair play Dudley. A few bands have already said similar and this got myself and Johhny X thinking that every band in the country has Road close to their hearts and owes them a huge debt of gratitude and probably has masses of unsold albums taking up precious space at home. So hows about every band donate a box of albums and they be put into packs of 5 mixed albums and sold for dirt cheap at a merch stall at this tribute/benefit/thank you/farewell gig?

that sounds like a deadly idea Vinnie.
I'm sure most people here would be more than happy to help out any way they can..So make sure you let us know what needs doing so we can all kick in..

Fair play Dudley. A few bands have already said similar and this got myself and Johhny X thinking that every band in the country has Road close to their hearts and owes them a huge debt of gratitude and probably has masses of unsold albums taking up precious space at home. So hows about every band donate a box of albums and they be put into packs of 5 mixed albums and sold for dirt cheap at a merch stall at this tribute/benefit/thank you/farewell gig?

Count Stoat In

This is terrible news:mad:

Not at all! Excellent idea. My toes are soft, durable and open to suggestion.

that's a really good idea!
I wonder if you could have the venue open an hour or two before the gig starts for a sort of mini record fair, to really encourage buying? (sorry if I'm stepping on yr toes with these suggestions)

*phew!* ;)
Cool, well I suppose all you'd need is a few tables to hold the merch...and you could either get the bands to soundcheck early enough, or you could hold the sale mid-afternoon?

whack out the tables and merch, hold the sale for a few hours, maybe have a CD playing in the background, might be a lovely atmosphere and a chance for people to support Road/local bands.

cunt us in.

edit; count us in rather.

ach, that's terrible news. really terrible.

road have been an amazing resource both for me band and for me as a punter: i have a huge number of cds that i bought because they were playing when i was in road and sounded great, or that i spotted when browsing through the new releases and thought i'd give them a go. like a lot of folks, i probably haven't been in as much as when i lived in town. arse.

wishing dave and julie and the baby best of luck with everything.

I've no boxes of records but I've got some doubles of most Decal cds and vinyl.
I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back