Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

This is horrific. I'm so sorry to hear it and so sorry I didn't support you more when I could have. I hope things work out for you both.

Absolutely devastated. Probably the only regular thing I ever did in Dublin was shop in Road.
Thank you so much for stocking really good stuff, doing your best to order awkward shit in, and most decently of all holding records behind the counter (sometimes for over a month). Not to mention the loveliness of both yourselves and Dylan. Jesus, I couldn't begin to list the amount of treasured lps I've bought in there. I guess I thought it would be there forever too.

The best of luck for the future Dave and Julie (and with the baby!).

such awful news. road is/was the keystone of the music community in dublin in so many ways. it will be sorely missed. i wish you both the very best for your future with your baby.

I can't believe that Road is gonna be gone...

I don't really know what to say apart from wishing you all the best...

you will be sorely missed...

I've not been in there in a couple of months, but ye've sold me some of my favourite records.

This is really depressing. Thanks so much folks, and I hope that whatever comes next works out for ye.

Thats fucking desperate.Sorry to hear guys.

Thanks for everything,you can be fucking proud of your place in Irish music history.You'll be missed.

Good luck in the future.

So sorry to hear this - awful news.

The arts council should be out there right now giving small independent retailers bridging loans...

Dave and Julie are possibly the soundest people ever to stand behind a shop counter. I remember going up to Dave at a Hot Snakes gig and chatting for ages. Julie was always lovely as well no matter how many stupid questions I would ask.

Terrible news on so many levels..

I don't suppose keeping the website going for online sales is an option?

It's horrible to think of people who make the effort to stock interesting stuff being forced out of business due to lack of customers.

Obviously music shops are like governments.
We get the ones we deserve.

We're about to find ourselves left with nothing but HMV & Tower.

I'd love to feel nothing but righteous anger about this but I'm also guilty of being in town & saying to myself "I must stop off in Road Records" & then not getting around to it.

Fuck it!

Sorry.

Just wanted to register my regret at this having to happen to a great little store.
Dave was very generous with his time when I was in college and I know I wasn't the only one to Interview him about the store over the 11 years.
Hopefully your new baby goes some way to replacing your now former one.

All the best,
Niall

Shit, that's awful news. When I lived in Dublin (years ago) I used to call by Road weekly and often bought albums just on the basis of the short reviews that used to be stuck on the cover. At some point Julie got to recognise me to see, which made me feel cool altogether.

Like the others on this thread, I never imagined Road would go. Good luck to you both, and thanks for all you gave us.

Whatever about how I feel about it as a punter and as someone who's band you stocked, it's sickeningly sad to see how this has affected you both so personally.

Best of luck.

Sad to hear it, anytime I shopped there it felt local and personal and I always left in a good mood.

Has there ever been a road distro? Like a stall at gigs ? If I buy a cd these days it's usually at a gig. Don't know what my point is, but
anyway I'll definitely be into the shop for a farewell purchase.

Is it at all possible that we can stop this?

Probaby stupidly naive, I'm aware of operating costs and all that malarky. Fuck this, fuck this epoch, and fuck all us thieving cunts who won't pay for our cultural wares. We're robbing ourselves essentially.

Fuck!I'm never coming home now. The "kids no longer buy music" reminds me of this quote from a Killdozer interview.

" On our final tour, we kept meeting our old loyal fans who told us such things as they had to get a babysitter to come and see our last show. If they did that all the other times we came to their town, or if alternatively the babysitter came to our shows, we might still be together today."

Town is useless now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back