Reviews (3 Viewers)

Are the reviews to be anonymous to avoid a Dr. J style bashing by the band under review? Cos he put his name to the article, but still no-one knows who he is... or not many people anyway.

The handy thing about having a Reviews forum as opposed to a reviews page is that in time (hopefully in quick time) they'd drop out of sight as new ones came on stream. So crappy reviews won't be around to ruin your rep for long.

I think all reviews are good, even for the rarely sighted "international artists". They're good for people who didn't get to go and want a flava in their ear. Anyone care to review MBV at the SFX for me?

A good reviews forum would be good for Thumped, maybe even attracting a broader range of readers. But it should be the same free-for-all as elsewhere, IMHO. The libel is all part of the fun.

Here, can all reviews just be credited to Dr. J?
As a tribute to how upset them Cakers got at their slating :)
Har har.

Re: Re: Re: Reviews

Originally posted by captain anomie
I think the sensitive part of it that bands (including myself) are a bit scared of getting a shite review on their own turf (i.e. thumped).
This makes it sound less like a review board, and more of a mutual appreciation society - everyone sucking on each other's dicks, with not a mean word being said.
Boring.
I guess we'll have to decide whether to just review stuff that's submitted for review or not.
What about the idea of peer-reviewing each review - giving everyone the ability to "moderate" each post/comment up or down, as they see fit. This way, anything with a 'negative' score won't display on the page (but with a link there, so people can still read it).

Or is this just way too much woik?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reviews

Originally posted by THRILLHO
This makes it sound less like a review board, and more of a mutual appreciation society - everyone sucking on each other's dicks, with not a mean word being said.
Boring.

Well... not many people out there are old enough to remember this:
There are certain things taken for granted amongst the pathetic rubble that passes for Dublin’s scene and it’s incumbent revue. High ideas and pretension make for a large part, skinny boys with shaven heads, bad geetar “music” and hypnotically nauseating electronica make up the rest. This we know, this we accept. But now, there is an uglier, more insidious device by which to hand the judgements down: Bad, bad English.

What about the idea of peer-reviewing each review - giving everyone the ability to "moderate" each post/comment up or down, as they see fit. This way, anything with a 'negative' score won't display on the page (but with a link there, so people can still read it).

Or is this just way too much woik?

you spend way, way too much time on slashdot. and yup - it'd be a nightmare....

i think it would be a decent idea if possible to only stick up a review for an item once you have gathered more than one review for it so you get more than one side o the story?

doc - tor - j
hec - tor - grey

Originally posted by egg_
You think?
Would Hector say the The Jimmy Cake are the worst band he has ever seen in his entire life? ... hmmm

there's no such thing as bad press.
particularly on a board where most reviews of people that post to it are favourable.... ;)
its only a theory like.

This is a very simple solution.

All you do is set up a reviews board thingymajig... like the football board. Someone is the moderator - probably Pete seeing as it's his site....

People submit a review of an album they've heard... pete or whoever sees if it's any use - fairly objective like - and the moderator then starts the thread on that review. Then folk can respond to it whatever way they will. Whether the review is anonymous or otherwise could be worked out between the board moderator and the reviewer.

I mean... think about it. You only buy music you're going to listen to... you don't buy music to objectively criticise. To be honest, a review forum could be full of people gushing about some album they've just bought, or people trying to make their name as some cooler-than-thou critic.

A reviews board would be a nice way for people to see what other people are listening to and maybe they might be interested in it themselves.

Originally posted by egg_
You think?
Would Hector say the The Jimmy Cake are the worst band he has ever seen in his entire life? ... hmmm

well.

i have actually never *seen* the jimmy cake. at least not from the front.

and i have 'slated' them. urm. kinda. i never took any of that stuff seriously.

i'll review you if you want... all of you. "a forum full of reds"... a novel. christ, this could go on...

I'll do the odd review. I'll keep it simple.
The gig was either : Good :) , Bad .|..| , or Ugly :mad:

Good = Decent enough. Not spectacular

Bad = Spectacular, Rocking.

Ugly = I want my money back you cunts.

Yes, have a reviews section. Please, my eyeballs are falling out from reading all these deliberations. Actually just post polls on whether bands are shite, ok, or great. Or an online clapometer. Backspace means great, backslash means just ok, and the euro symbol means crappy. Or, just make up your own mind. Whatever you like. By the way, music is not subjective and I've just invented a tube-shaped device which I hope to unveil in the next few weeks which can scientifically assess the worth of any music (except jazz) just by getting the bandmembers to blow in to it.

Can people not just start a thread with their review of something instead of having all these editorial control stuff? Man, this is the internet. We're free, just like the sixties only with computers this time. I am currently naked with a bong in a cybercafe. Our kids will never believe life used be like this.

Can people not just start a thread with their review of something instead of having all these editorial control stuff? Man, this is the internet. We're free, just like the sixties only with computers this time. I am currently naked with a bong in a cybercafe. Our kids will never believe life used be like this. [/B]

if you can remember the internet, man, you weren't there.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..quick! leg it!.. it's the cops!!!!

If you run it looks suspicious. I'm gonna sit tight. "Yes, officer I'm looking for the Dublin tourism office, I just came up from Cork, boy. An I'm as lost as a langer can beeeee.....boy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back