Regarding the Converge gig... (1 Viewer)

They`ve just signed to Epitaph records.
Whats up with that?
They`re releasing their own records on the lead singers Deathwish label - so why sign to Eipitaph?
More coverage i guess, better distribution maybe...which wouyld indirectly benefit Deathwish with there being more finances to plow into the label...?
Or maybe not...
Well?

maybe they could do a q+a session at the gig explaining this stuff to everyone instead of playing any music at all

andrew

TESTAROSSA said:
maybe they could do a q+a session at the gig explaining this stuff to everyone instead of playing any music at all

andrew
Consolidated used to have a Q&A session with the audience near the end of every gig, so why not?

i'm pretty sure the ac/dc have never done this
and i'm pretty sure ac/dc is a better band than consolidated.

andrew

TESTAROSSA said:

andrew
That statement just makes you look like a pure tit anthony, a righteous tit.
Maybe their was no sense in the move to epitaph?

Just wondered why they`d leave they`re own label to go on another label?
Valid query?
A bit like if Fugazi went and signed to Epitaph even though their on Dischord..that kinda thing.

Man, i`m gonna kick your ass when i see you!
Makin me look like a right fool!
Outside!Now!

uh equal vision put out the last few converge records (and before that hydrahead i think), so your fugazi comparison isn't really valid. anyway this is peoples lives and jobs and i don't see how it is of any real concern to anyone living thousands of miles away...especially if they actually like the music.
it's all just cds and records that nobody will care about in 20 years time. or 10. or 5.
andrew

off the top of my head they might want better distribution, or less financial worries, or some support behind them if it all gets a little, well, tough.

or maybe he just doesnt want to spend loads of time doing a label when someone else will gladly do it all for him.

i dont see why it should matter to anyone not in the band though.

Just curious, curious about music and things - the in`s and out`s of the way things go with the operations of a hardcore band and all that...
Hey! - maybe i care too much...maybe i do....:(

B for the Spree said:
i dont see why it should matter to anyone not in the band though.
I generally don't give a monkeys what labels bands sign to, or what they do,but I don't know..On a musical level, I really like Converge and have a degree of respect for what they're trying to achieve sonically. On every other level though, I have no respect for them whatsoever.Not because they're not "DIY" or that, how they operate is their own business and ultimately has nothing to do with me,but...

There seems to have been a definite move closer to the mainstream with this band of late, what with the sudden "No we don't play hardcore we just play "aggressive music" " thing, the pushing their video on MTV2, now this jump to a bigger label where surely they don't really need it? (I'm pretty sure Deathwish has very good distribution.I've seen records on the label in Waterford.If you can get them there, you can get them anywhere).To be honest they seem like a cottage industry rather than a band.Go look at the website, and there's a load of information about how to vote for their video on MTV2, their recording studio,what side projects of theirs have records coming out,what limited vinyl they have out,etc.There's very little about what Converge are up to themselves as a band there besides "We just finished ourwriting some songs".

I dunno,I'm reconsidering even going to see them now.I just find something slimey about them, like the selling of their band as a brand name is taking priority over anything else.That's fine and everything, and like I say, I still think their music's good (maybe not as mindblowing as a lot of people do),and yeah, their door price is still lower than Fugazi (or any other bigger "punk" bands) last time which I definitely have to respect, and I'm sure they're probably really nice people as well,but boy ... do they seem out for glory or what?

But I dunno,if I could get away with charging what Converge do to play for half an hour,I'd be lying if i said I wouldn't.

surely every band should be able to promote their affiliated projects on their site though, but its a fair point that it might seem that they are openly selling themselves more than they used to. while i like the music it was always the ideal of converge that appealed to me, the package of music with aggression and passion and art with a constant desire to do what they wanted and not bending to other trends but rather setting them.

by the way i really like ye're demo, never got a chance to say it to liiadain

brianMy Remorse said:
surely every band should be able to promote their affiliated projects on their site though, but its a fair point that it might seem that they are openly selling themselves more than they used to. while i like the music it was always the ideal of converge that appealed to me, the package of music with aggression and passion and art with a constant desire to do what they wanted and not bending to other trends but rather setting them.

by the way i really like ye're demo, never got a chance to say it to liiadain
Yeah, I think that's why I'm irked by them.They spent a lot of time building their own world if you like,combining the art and music and lyrics into something a bit more unique and personal to them,so to me this sudden burst of sellling themselves seems like they're now using something really inspiring as simply a commodity.Sort soils the intent and integrity behind what they were doing when they make such a big deal of the marketing of things.

Glad you like the demo, cheers.Was it the studio one or the crappy 4 track one you heard?

brianMy Remorse said:
i think my copy only has 3 tracks so id say its your studio one? the one with the cover from the exorcist? either way its well cool.
yes that's the studio one.glad you like it.
I'd say more but we have a self imposed ban on discussing our band on websites.
seriously.:rolleyes:

needtokill said:
yes that's the studio one.glad you like it.
I'd say more but we have a self imposed ban on discussing our band on websites.
seriously.:rolleyes:
Actually, sorry, i'm sitting here bitching about COnverge being a commodity and placing all the blame on them, when come to think of it, the biggest problem is EPITAPH.I seem to remember saying to some one a while back after Epitaph put out DEP and Locust that I reckoned you'd see them trying to sign more "extreme" bands, and I was right.I won't be surprised to see them sign other similar bands over the next 12 months.

Again, I don't generally care about who's on what labels BUT Epitaph are scumbags, I don't think that's any secret, and quite frankly I'm disgusted in them capitalising on the more extreme end of the hardcore scene and marketing it as "the latest thing".You can be damn sure Epitaph probably didn't even know who Converge were when "petitioning the empty sky" came out, and I'd imagine their interest was spurred by Converge's sales figures and press profile after "Jane Doe".Fuck them.They're a business.Not a "punk" business, just a business.

If Converge had signed with Revelation or Jade Tree or even Fat Wreck I'd probably not have given a shit, but Epitaph=Sony.

i am gonna make a fortune and leave the punk scene and get a job as a booking agent for epitaph after this and all my other "sell out" gigs later in the year.

dreams can come true, people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back