Recommend me some Jazz (1 Viewer)

Mexican Power Authority were a bunch of Canadian guys from a mostly punk background in Victoria, BC who were influenced by John Zorn's Naked City era ('strang'). Been listening to them since 1994.
They had a demo called Salmon Mask Mc Tallica which recreates the Beefheart cover with a metalhead in a trucker hat holding a salmon in front of his face. M.P.A. covered Sun Ra, Parker, Coltrane etc.

Despite the popularity of Naked City this is the only band I know of which heavily sounded like them.

Mexican Power Authority - Strang From Endville 7" (1993) 10 song EP
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Like the rest of their records this can be gotten cheaply.
A double LP of M.P.A. early demos with over 100 songs can be gotten for about 10 Euro.

Vocalist Jason Flower is still on a longstanding mission to archive lots of diverse music from all over the world e.g. reissuing the first Inuit rock band's work.

Mexican Power Authority were a bunch of Canadian guys from a mostly punk background in Victoria, BC who were influenced by John Zorn's Naked City era ('strang'). Been listening to them since 1994.
They had a demo called Salmon Mask Mc Tallica which recreates the Beefheart cover with a metalhead in a trucker hat holding a salmon in front of his face. M.P.A. covered Sun Ra, Parker, Coltrane etc.

Despite the popularity of Naked City this is the only band I know of which heavily sounded like them.

Mexican Power Authority - Strang From Endville 7" (1993) 10 song EP

Like the rest of their records this can be gotten cheaply.
A double LP of M.P.A. early demos with over 100 songs can be gotten for about 10 Euro.

Vocalist Jason Flower is still on a longstanding mission to archive lots of diverse music from all over the world e.g. reissuing the first Inuit rock band's work.

I have a DLP comp of these guys from way back called Haiku, I think. They should have been right up my alley, but to be fair I felt they had neither the songs nor the chops to emulate their influences.

anyway, I came here to post that the Luaka Bop ‘Pharoah’ box set reissue is the most amazing reissue package I have ever seen.

I picked up that recent Pharoah Sanders boxset with the Pharoah LP and a second disc with a couple of versions of Harvest Time yesterday. Haven't got on to the second disc yet but spun the original LP a few times last night with a couple of nice strong bottles of fancy beer.
So good, usually wouldn't pay so much for what is essentially an album with a bonus disc but glad I did. Such a great album and package

I picked up that recent Pharoah Sanders boxset with the Pharoah LP and a second disc with a couple of versions of Harvest Time yesterday. Haven't got on to the second disc yet but spun the original LP a few times last night with a couple of nice strong bottles of fancy beer.
So good, usually wouldn't pay so much for what is essentially an album with a bonus disc but glad I did. Such a great album and package

It's an absolute doozy. The live versions are well worth a listen- of a standard with the studio recordings, completely different vibe to each

Magic ..extra bonus interview with McCoy at the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back