Reading anything good? (2 Viewers)

Supposed to be reading "The Republic" Plato...

... instead I'm reading "Walden" by Thoreau...

... in the mood to be reading something by Agatha Christie, or perhaps PG Wodehouse.

200411031807542.png

About fifty pages in, jury's still out. I'm finding it difficult to get into.

oraclenight.jpg

Pretty good 100 pages in but i'm starting to find his main characters a bit annoyingly educated and arty, and smug

I've only read about three of his books (Leviathan, Oracle Night, Book of Illusions,) but Oracle Night was by far the worst. I'm no Auster scholar, but the ending was rushed, loads of subplots were left hanging in mid air, the book didn't feel 'finished' and anything dramatic that happened was pretty much forgotten about five minutes later. Lots of good ideas...wasted. The best thing about it was the cover - an exact replica of the blue notebook in hardback! (yes, I do judge a book by its cover..)

Edit; actually, I read Mr Vertigo too - now THAT is a fantastic book! Speaking of grans, I was recommended Auster by my rather cool 83 year old gran. She's got great taste in books. I want to be her when I grow up...

Really, I dunno, I thought that for a book written 150 years ago the english was fairly modern - with just the odd outmoded word (like Pantaloon's - great word!) thrown in.

The first section, where he is discussing the things that he doesn't like about society, really could be written now. House-prices, fashion, the true value of the advice of the elderly - all his comments there are still so relevant.

couldnt get into walden,all that olde english put me off a bit,would like to try again though.currently reading:china friend or foe,apparently we got nothing to fear from them.but fear itself.

I'm reading 'A pair of blue eyes' by Thomas Hardy. I was in Oxford last week on the north wessex downs (where Jude the Obscure is set) and it got me in the mood for reading another Hardy novel. I think he may be my favourite writer. This one is a little mushier than some of the others, but I'm at the dark middle bit that all his books have, so we'll see how it goes from here.

Really, I dunno, I thought that for a book written 150 years ago the english was fairly modern - with just the odd outmoded word (like Pantaloon's - great word!) thrown in.

The first section, where he is discussing the things that he doesn't like about society, really could be written now. House-prices, fashion, the true value of the advice of the elderly - all his comments there are still so relevant.

ill try again so,put my mind to it this time.and yes-pantaloons is a great word :D

I'm reading great expectations by Dickens at the moment. I'm only about 50 pages into it, but I have to say that I'm impressed both by the pace of the story and the general writing standard. I reckon that Dickens lad will do well.

0826416918.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This asshole used the term "mise-en-scene" 8 times in one paragraph. This isn't what I signed up for when i started reading a book about Spielberg. Shit.

Just finished Colum McCann's latest, Zoli. Really enjoyed it, it's not as good as Dancer, and the last third of the book is a bit disappointing, but it's a really poignant and interesting read. Before that I read Neal Stepenson's Snowcrash (totally deadly in a Wlliam Gbson cyberspace way) and am now reading a book on Victorian houses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back