Reading anything good? (3 Viewers)

0786717297.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133545928_.jpg

and

32-8_cover-med.jpg

But then I got all pirated out, so now I'm reading

lockelamora.jpg

American Gods is a great book...it was the first novel of his that i read and i really enjoyed it.

I just finished this, which was brilliant (i wish i had studied history)

078670974X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Next up is another attempt at this

quartz_tn.jpg

If that fails I will resort to this (going for 5.99 in HMV at the moment)

0007204485.jpg

I for one am currently reading Don Quixote.

Fner.

I read that about a year or so ago. Really enjoyed it. Quite a funny book actually.

Am reading crime and punishment at the moment. A good yarn as i was promised. Dem russians are great. Strange how america beat them in that war a few years ago.

I read that about a year or so ago. Really enjoyed it. Quite a funny book actually.

Am reading crime and punishment at the moment. A good yarn as i was promised. Dem russians are great. Strange how america beat them in that war a few years ago.
Crime and Punishment is a rollicking good read.

Crime and Punishment is a rollicking good read.

I have gone through a phase of reading a lot of the classics and what strikes me about many of them is the strength of the storyline and no frills way in which stories are generally told. I got a bit tired of readin books by 20th century generation X types who write books that read like aimless blogs tacked onto some vaguely relevant incident or setting.

Ooooh! Tales of devilry and daring, they're my FAVOURITE kinds of tales, apart from tales of murder and mystery which is why I just read 'The 39 Steps' by John Buchan. I am now reading 'The Piano Teacher' by Elfriede Jelinek.

I can't do the whole picture thingy, but I'm reading Ryszard Kapuscinski's The Emperor at the moment. Fascinating, but scary. I don't know what next. Maybe Franny and Zooey

I have gone through a phase of reading a lot of the classics and what strikes me about many of them is the strength of the storyline and no frills way in which stories are generally told. I got a bit tired of readin books by 20th century generation X types who write books that read like aimless blogs tacked onto some vaguely relevant incident or setting.

I am reading Microserfs by Douglas Coupland at the moment. My point above very much applies, although it is a pleasant enough read.

Basically a load of computer geeks who live a very narrow existence, notwithstanding their belief that other computer geeks are a higher form of person. They seem to be people who have never gone through any adolesence or maturing period in their lives. All talk about how technology is fundamentally changing the way society thinks and is (ironic that this point is being made in a lil' old book). Computer metaphors ahoy. Still, if you have ever worked for microsoft you would probably love it.

Gaudy_night-thumb.JPG

go team genre fiction! i can't recommend dorothy l. sayers enough (start with murder must advertise) and i'd saved this until now - really satisfying story.

also:

archigram.jpg

an overdue library book coming back to school with me tomorrow. it's a compilation of a load of their publications and projects. i kind of hate and love it.

Ryszard Kapuscinski's The Emperor
i read that too but i gave up on the last i started in order to get stuck into "the enemy within: the secret war against the miners" by Seumas Milne. Its about arthut scargil and his disgraceful treatment at the hands of the british media/govt etc. v its good and interesting but its taken me about 4 weeks to get to page 146 of 392 so i might give it up soon too as i have a huge stash of unread brian aldiss to get through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back