Random Photos (1 Viewer)

Re: picture a week (idea)

best shot Ive gotten in ages(everything is relative), ubs last friday

42e5cd10.jpg

Great UBS picture. So what do you do taking gig shots? Really fast film? Not flash I presume ...

hugh said:
Great UBS picture. So what do you do taking gig shots? Really fast film? Not flash I presume ...

I normally have two camera with me, one an old manual pentax with 3200 film in it that I use for more sedate scenes, and a modern pentax with autofocus and flash and 400speed film to get the action shots. generally between the both I get a few decent pics!

I like TMX 3200 or Tri-X rated at 800. Fuji Natura S (1600) is nice if'n you like colour, but it's difficult to get.

ICUH8N said:
I like TMX 3200 or Tri-X rated at 800. Fuji Natura S (1600) is nice if'n you like colour, but it's difficult to get.

high speed film of any kind is incresingly hard to get. Gunns normally have a decent stock of it

I buy mine from the internets. robertwhite or sevendayshop, and there's always japan for the really exotic stuff. robertwhite are also doing a deal on Mamiya 7 II kits at the moment. So tempted.

I use this kind of film

cd0fb220dca06bff04fc5010.L.jpg

Very rarely use flash. I figure if you're using flash, you're taking a photo of a scene you made, not the actual scene with the lights that are present. Plus i'd feel like even more of a cock with the flash on the camera.

ICUH8N said:
robertwhite are also doing a deal on Mamiya 7 II kits at the moment. So tempted.
Oh man I'd love one of them. I have one of those Bronica 645 rangefinders which is great but the pictures are in portrait mode which I don't really like much. You can turn the camera obviously but its kind of awkward ...

980 sterling for the Mamiya .... ouch! And that doesn't include VAT! Do Robert White do trade-ins?

I don't think so, but you could always stick it on the 'bay. I'm gonna get the 7, next month, I think. Got an RZ67 Pro II body that I never bother with either, it's just too bulky.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Very rarely use flash. I figure if you're using flash, you're taking a photo of a scene you made, not the actual scene with the lights that are present. Plus i'd feel like even more of a cock with the flash on the camera.

agree with regard to colour, but with b/w your already abstracting the scene. I personally only use flash for band stuff, I like the gritty hard contrast thing. It never darkens (or lightens) the top of my camera otherwise.
I generally feel awkward anyway!

ICUH8N said:
I don't think so, but you could always stick it on the 'bay. I'm gonna get the 7, next month, I think. Got an RZ67 Pro II body that I never bother with either, it's just too bulky.

True, there's always ebay. This crowd (www.keh.com) will buy cameras from you as well. I got a quote from them which seemed good. Its just a lot of hassle packaging it all up etc. etc. I'm just lazy I suppose ...

hugh said:
True, there's always ebay. This crowd (www.keh.com) will buy cameras from you as well. I got a quote from them which seemed good. Its just a lot of hassle packaging it all up etc. etc. I'm just lazy I suppose ...

speaking of medium format, anyone ever own or use a hasselbald 500c/m etc? Ive got some money coming via ssia and am thinking of buying one in the next few months. Upgrading from TLR land, a massive jump from 1940s camera technology to 1950s camera technology!

Hasselblads are for jumped-up wedding photographers. I've used one a bit. The Mamiya RBs/RZs just as good (read: you can get ridiculously amazing lenses for them) and a good bit cheaper. Similar argument to getting a Leica...they sure are purty, and you get bragging rights among some photo nerds, but there's no practical reason for it. Might as well go the whole hog and get an Alpa and a €5k Schneider lens.

i thought i'd put this up even though it's a shot that i messed up. i was trying to take photos of the cranes at night with a long exposure (this one was a 15-second exposure). as i was taking the shot, a car drove past in front of me with its lights on, resulting in the strange bathing of light in the bottom half of the picture. then the camera slipped, which ruined the whole thing. ha.

cranes.jpg

JohnnyRaz said:
speaking of medium format, anyone ever own or use a hasselbald 500c/m etc? Ive got some money coming via ssia and am thinking of buying one in the next few months. Upgrading from TLR land, a massive jump from 1940s camera technology to 1950s camera technology!

I've got a Bronica SQAI which is a 6x6 format boxy camera, basically a Hasselblad clone. In general these sort of cameras are very clunky and slow to use but give great results. Good if you are going to be sticking it on a tripod and carefully composing a shot but not much good for other forms of photography like street shooting etc.....

I agree with ICU ... not sure if the Hasselblad is worth the extra money over other makes .....

tom. said:
i thought i'd put this up even though it's a shot that i messed up. i was trying to take photos of the cranes at night with a long exposure (this one was a 15-second exposure). as i was taking the shot, a car drove past in front of me with its lights on, resulting in the strange bathing of light in the bottom half of the picture. then the camera slipped, which ruined the whole thing. ha.

cranes.jpg
I like the light on the ground in the foreground. Looks a bit like a light painting.

hugh said:
I've got a Bronica SQAI which is a 6x6 format boxy camera, basically a Hasselblad clone. In general these sort of cameras are very clunky and slow to use but give great results. Good if you are going to be sticking it on a tripod and carefully composing a shot but not much good for other forms of photography like street shooting etc.....

I agree with ICU ... not sure if the Hasselblad is worth the extra money over other makes .....

might check that out alright thanks, you seem to be able to get old hassleblad bodies and backs for ok money, but the lenses are scarilly expensive!

Have any of you looked at ffordes me dad uses them, they seem reasonable and take trade-ins and have a decent second section.

Don't think I've ever used flash for gig photos. Come to think of it I haven't owned a flash in a long time, even the built in one on my Canon has been broken since before then.

ReadySteadyJedi said:

Flash photography at gigs is crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back