Random Photos (1 Viewer)

Re: picture a week (idea)

ive used three darkrooms round dublin;
1; DCU have a fairly good comunal darkroom. Obvious drawback is that you have to be a student and that its closed during the summer. Less obvious draw back is unless youre studying something media related youre there only due to the good nature of the guy running it, who luckily enough is sound.
2; camera club; resonably ok darkrooms, the sort of darkrooms we'd all probably set up if we had the space and money. only problem is that a; you have to be a member (90E in 2003) and you have to get a key. To get a key you have to befriend enough of the comitee running the club to have your apllication passed. The club is quite large and some of the members are kinda cliquey and elitist ( there are some really nice heads in it too). So if you want to get stuck into a club cool, if you just want to use a darkroom, not so cool.
3; Gallery of Photgraphy; good flexible gear, communal darkroom, but linited to 3 at a time. Can print practically any type of film, they have a print drier, proper bits an pieces for fibre based. A bit pricey, but worth it if you can get in during the week. Also get innvited to all the openings in the gallery etc and get 10% off in the bookshop, which is cool enough.

I hope this is some help!!

hugh said:
That reminds me. What do the B&W types here do for darkrooms?

I've been used the Temple Bar Gallery ones (though not for ages) which are fine but they do cost you. I think its 15 euro for a half-day (3 hours) and 28 for a full day.

I think there are some other options around the place like that camera club on Camden street. Anyone know anything about this? Any other places?

I've toyed with trying to put my own together in the house but its too much hassle and too expensive ....

Here's two of my favourite photos, both taken a day or two after the bombings in Kuta, Bali in 2002. I used a Praktica (think it's an MTL 3), some small lense on fuji 200 colour asa film. I converted into b+w in photoshop using the brightness and contrast settings (not greyscale). The shoe border is from photoedges software.

688256723_l.jpg

688278194_l.jpg

The lighting is much better on the printed version.

JohnnyRaz said:
I hope this is some help!!

Yeah it is thanks. DCU is out and I dont like the sound of the club so I suppose I'll stick with the Gallery (not that I ever have time to go at the moment). I went to that camera club on a tuesday evening once. Guy gave a talk and showed lots of his pictures. There was no-one that I was obviously supposed to talk to to join and everyone ignored me so I just left.

I saw an ad once for darkroom usage at that Airfield place in Dundrum. It was a bit vague so I don't really know what the story is and location doesn't really suit ....

One of my neightbours has a darkroom in his attic. Maybe I should start being really nice to him ...

The camera clubs a bit odd i.m.o. I went when I started getting serious about photography and had a mental image of a small group of helpful heads. One of the first meetings I attended there was a shouting match about film versus digital that ended with one clown declaring 'you paint with numbers, I paint with light'. They also had these 'workshops' on monday nights the idea of which was that beginers could bring in their shots and get helpful advice. Basically less helpful advice, more dissmissive criticism and stories about the 50s. Was frequently told that certain photos 'wouldnt do well at the club', or 'werent suitable for the club' compititions, as if it was the last word in taste.Id be the first one to admit that in general and particularly then my pics were hardly ground-breaking but the whole experience left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth

hugh said:
Yeah it is thanks. DCU is out and I dont like the sound of the club so I suppose I'll stick with the Gallery (not that I ever have time to go at the moment). I went to that camera club on a tuesday evening once. Guy gave a talk and showed lots of his pictures. There was no-one that I was obviously supposed to talk to to join and everyone ignored me so I just left.

I saw an ad once for darkroom usage at that Airfield place in Dundrum. It was a bit vague so I don't really know what the story is and location doesn't really suit ....

One of my neightbours has a darkroom in his attic. Maybe I should start being really nice to him ...

Camera clubs are notorious for attracting weirdos. My personal opinion is that clubs/hobby circles/etc of any kind are prone to it, but I tend to err on the more misanthropic side of "arrogant prick" so...
All I want is a decent darkroom, but I'm not willing to deal with people who are stupid, I don't want to pretend that I like someone else's useless photographs, I don't want to be nice to cardigan-wearing middle-aged wankers with no idea about, well, anything. Group discussions about film vs digital are right out. Obviously this restricts my options somewhat, but I shall continue my search. I could, in theory, use the darkroom in IADT, but this would necessitate more "face time" with people I don't really want to see.

ICUH8N said:
Camera clubs are notorious for attracting weirdos. My personal opinion is that clubs/hobby circles/etc of any kind are prone to it, but I tend to err on the more misanthropic side of "arrogant prick" so...
All I want is a decent darkroom, but I'm not willing to deal with people who are stupid, I don't want to pretend that I like someone else's useless photographs, I don't want to be nice to cardigan-wearing middle-aged wankers with no idea about, well, anything. Group discussions about film vs digital are right out. Obviously this restricts my options somewhat, but I shall continue my search. I could, in theory, use the darkroom in IADT, but this would necessitate more "face time" with people I don't really want to see.

you know loads of deadly words. you should do a word of the week.

Do you know what a sitzmark is though? Well?

was out on a job today so i got out my cybershot and snapped these.

Victoria Harbour and HK island, as seen from TST. i like the way there's the bamboo in the foreground, cos that's how all of HK was built.
DSC03247.jpg

again in TST

DSC03242.jpg

and this is the mosque around the corner from my house, currently squatted by about 60 people, who take care of the place.

DSC03251.jpg

To go with La La's Hong Kong shots here's one I took in Shanghai ...

2621731-lg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back