Random Photos (1 Viewer)

Re: picture a week (idea)

Here, where in europe is cheap for buying medium format film? How much does it cost to process? Does it cost much extra to get the results on disk aswell? Seriously thinking of getting one of those mamiya RZ67 kits from KEH, just want to get a broad idea of the ongoing costs from using one.

9bbe3e75.jpg
Anthony said:
Flash photography at gigs is crap.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Here, where in europe is cheap for buying medium format film? How much does it cost to process? Does it cost much extra to get the results on disk aswell? Seriously thinking of getting one of those mamiya RZ67 kits from KEH, just want to get a broad idea of the ongoing costs from using one.

120 film is normally arround the same price per roll as the equivalent 35mm roll, and at least in gunns costs the same to process more or less, but I do know its more expensive to scan.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
DSC_5801.jpg

But i think he meant in terms of how it feels for a punter.

whos in the pic, its a nice one. maybe its distracting, but having played in numerous bands I dont think ive ever noticed anyone taking a picture of me. posibly due to the fact Im a close the eyes a hope for the best sort of performer!

That's puget sound. If you look hard you can pick out members of crayonsmith and ten past seven in there aswell. I think people don't notice it as much what with people having point and shoots with flash on, but if someone's flashing off loads of pics or has one of those big flashes, it can be shite. Personally i feel like a plonk standing at the front with a big camera, never mind honking on a huge flash to the top. Unless i'm locked.

I meant this
3_4_03Dundalk.JPG

vs this

LargeMound20_1_06(1).jpg

the flash photo has no atmosphere at all. Obviously in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing all rules are out the window.

flash with colour film can be nasty alright, you get much nicer tones with the stage lights

Anthony said:
I meant this
3_4_03Dundalk.JPG

vs this

LargeMound20_1_06(1).jpg

the flash photo has no atmosphere at all. Obviously in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing all rules are out the window.

La La said:
thanks. took it yesterday at the cultural centre. first day in ages that there was no pollution; sun was blinding. :cool:

I think thats one of the nicest ones youve put up.

I was reordering my more recent images on photbucket and properly looked at this for the first time since I scanned the neg in (drunk). I havent printed this up yet as I havent gotten to the darkroom in ages, so I guess I kinda forgot about it. I find it really sinister or something; the combination of flags and berrets and solemn faces. Quite possibly its shite!
Pentax km, 50mm?, fuji neopan 400

775c4e8c.jpg

I like it. I think the solemn faces make the picture, especially the guy second from right.

More journalistic than arty if that makes any sense.

moose said:
I like it. I think the solemn faces make the picture, especially the guy second from right.

More journalistic than arty if that makes any sense.

cheers, I think journalistic would be about the height of my ambitions; dont have enough orriginal ideas to be an artist!

I'd a conversation about this with an arty mate the other day after we went to an exhibition of art student's photos - i really don't like arty photography. Journalistic is where it's at as far as i'm concerned; i like photos that document things, that show things and explain things; not (at the risk of sounding like a thick) some abstract expression of someone's deep despair channeled through the broken leg of a settee. Does nothing whatsoever for me. Then again, i only take photos of bands so i'm not really in a position to speak...

ReadySteadyJedi said:
I'd a conversation about this with an arty mate the other day after we went to an exhibition of art student's photos - i really don't like arty photography. Journalistic is where it's at as far as i'm concerned; i like photos that document things, that show things and explain things; not (at the risk of sounding like a thick) some abstract expression of someone's deep despair channeled through the broken leg of a settee. Does nothing whatsoever for me. Then again, i only take photos of bands so i'm not really in a position to speak...

I personally think that photgraphy in fine art is another medium, ie like painting or sculpture through which the artist can express their emotions/ideas.
The unique quality of photography as far as Im concerned is the ability to capture moments in time and document things.
Thats said I do love some photographers who'd probably be considered art-photography, much as I love other artists working in other mediums
Enough thinking this early in the morning.

JohnnyRaz said:
Thats said I do love some photographers who'd probably be considered art-photography, much as I love other artists working in other mediums
Such as? Would be interested to see some good stuff.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Journalistic is where it's at as far as i'm concerned; i like photos that document things, that show things and explain things

ok guys. this, for me, is an example of great photo journalism. im gonna set it up before posting it.
a woman is strangled by her husband at their coucil flat in a not-great area of HK. she stops struggling. he thinks she's dead. she isn't. she's unconcious on the bed. the daughters (both young) have just witnessed the entire epidode. they now witness dad flee from the flat and throw himself to his death from their 14 floor flat.
police have been called. a photog has heard the call on the scanner and races to the scene, arrives before the cops even, and takes this stunning shot. (the purple faced woman at the door is the woman who's just survived a brutal strangling.)
it's copyrighted, so i hope i dont get found out and lynched. anyways.

4871630_4.jpg

this, folks, is pure genius. tragic, but by fuck, it's genius.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Such as? Would be interested to see some good stuff.

jan saudek; chek nutcase and sexual obsessive;
saudek.jpg

jan-saudek.jpg

joel pitir witkin-seriously disturbing stuff, i dont know if i like it or hate it but its very affecting;
JPW6.jpg

aav.jpg

helmut newton; not technically an art photographer but some of his stuff is really really cool;
newton.jpg

La La said:
this, folks, is pure genius. tragic, but by fuck, it's genius.

30940.jpg

this is one of my favourite pictures, again unbelievably tragic story, this mother and daughter are the only survivors from a huge family that have just escaped from a burning tennemant in NY in the 30/40s. Its by weegee, who also used a police radio, and often got to the scenes before the cops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back