racists (2 Viewers)

whathappen?

Now I will be ther very first to state that when it comes to racists I am very naive. I cant believe that there are people who actually HATE people of a different race.Recently I was in work and was helping an Egyptian family with their shopping.They were over here on holidays and the two daughters wanted to have a girly day with their mother and but clothes and shoes etc.The kids had excellent English but the mother had not.She was wearing a headscraf ( i dont know the name of it) But as I was serving them I took my time so the mother could understand the prices etc etc .As they were walking away from the till the next customer an irish woman in her 50s muttered " f**king Indians" under her breath!!!!!! Excuse me ? I responded she seemed a bit shocked and just said Oh I'm looking for the right change. I wish I had the balls to say something to her but I hadnt.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing.It's my own naivity and stupididty that led me to believe that that sort of attitude was rare and dying out but from that experience and others since I am ashamed .I felt ashamed for being white and apologetic for this other womans behaviour.
Add to this some of the topics posted on this forum one which is now locked called Race and another about travellers. I thought that these were going to be discussions, honest and informative about issues that we encounter daily but it seemed to be an attempt to incite name calling and probable racist comments.

How racist is Ireland?
Why?

I started the knacker/traveller thread and it was light hearted fun at best, wind up at worst.

Also are you a Dunnes stores employee?

no i am not.
I was mostly referring to the other thread anyway,I thought people were going to talk about it seriously -race that is.
But if not , grand I was just pointing out that there are people who actively hate other races not just talk about it but will verbally attack them.

We all see black and white
When it comes to someone else's fight
No one ever gets involved
Apathy can never solve

c7_1.JPG

I met my first racist a little over a year ago. Never heard someone genuinely use the word "nigger" before and mean it. Some of the thing he's told me include how he had to leave dublin for galway because "all the fucking niggers walking around on the streets", how if he ever had a daughter and she brought home a black guy, he'd kill him, and how in his old job, there was this polish girl they all used to be cracking onto until she slept with one of the nigerian guys, then they all pretty much stopped talking to her. I asked why, and he said "cos she'd had nigger cock inside her". I rarely talk to the guy any more, but decided recently if he ever said anything like that to me again i was reporting him.

Mostly what I think we all see on a regular basis is a fairly casual racism (picture, please), and the sort of 'taxi driver racism' that gets way too much airtime, and it's not unlike what you see in most other countries. I mean, I....am not going to write a big essay, actually. No, really. Anyway, we should steer clear of 'Ireland is racist' and say rather 'a lot of people in IReland have racist attitudes'. And also, there are a number of fucking insanely blatant racists. The latter kind is, unfortunately, the easier to deal with, while the casual and institutional racism is something that no country or community in the world has managed to eradicate. It makes no sense to most of us, but I do think there are a lot of excuses made that people just have to stop tolerating. "They're new to this," yes, but I think people have to just point out that actually, while Ireland is new to so MUCH diversity, it was never homogenous in the first place.

I met a couple of horrible racists a few months ago, when a woman told me she chased a black guy in her car because he cut her off in traffic (she also, by the way, cut him off), and then chased him around a car park, cut him off, and then ran up to his car and attacked him through the window, telling him to go back to Africa to swing off trees because that's all he's good for. When I could finally get some words to come out of my mouth, I told her that no human being should ever speak to anyone like that, she said, "Oh, please, these people are here at our pleasure, we talk to them however we like." No amount of "No, you can't, actually," appeared to work. The other woman present, who was much younger, and whom I thought might have some sense, practically high-fived her, and said she was really racist, too, and she didn't care what anyone thought because 'they' should just leave.

FUCKING SICKENING.

Another awful thing about the conversation was that I really felt, for the first time, the tremendous horribleness of what it means to have 'white privilege'. I dunno, it was something about that that made me feel fucking awful about just how deeply penetrating bigotry is. In other words, it's not just about passing laws, it's about getting people to change their attitudes so that they no longer see it as okay to tell total strangers about their racially-motivated hatecrime as a cocktail party anecdote.

I couldn't report her, either, because of Who She Is. I'd definitely have been shipped out of the country, at the very least.

Hey Whathappen. I agree, it's very annoying and sickening etc. However I don't think your getting the so called humour of thumped. We have this thing around here that I think they named meta-ignorance or some such a few months ago (jaysis, they have a name for everything these days) which basically amounts to people saying really ignorant shit and not really meaning it because it's funny or something. And everyong gets it because we're all "right on". Well, that accounts for some of the crap that people say on here, in other cases there are some genuinely dodgy attitudes around, particularly concerning travellers. And I dare say a lot of it is coming from people who don't actually know any travellers. But anyway, that kind of beside the point. I'm not going to go into why I think Ireland is so racist but there definitely seems to be something of an attitude that some people preferred it when black people we these distant people who you'd pity and occaisionally give charity to. And then there'd be a great round of back patting about how great we Irish are for helping out the third world. That explains why some people (I was unfortunate to be in the taxi of one of these people) get so annoyed when they see Nigerians wearing the "best of everything". Watch that fella off in his leather jacket. FFS! And ye wonder why some anti-racists resort to violence...

You come into this country
You can't get real jobs
Boats and boats and boats of you
Go home, you fuckin' slobs
Selling hot dogs on the corner
Selling papers in the street
Pushing, pulling, digging, sweating
Where you come from must be beat

You always make us wait
You're the one's we hate
You can't communicate
Speak English or die
You don't know, what I want
You don't know, what I need
Why must I repeat myself
Can't you fuckin' read?
Nice fuckin' accents
Why can't you speak like me
What's that dot on your head
Do you use it to see ??

relax janer, some of my best friends are a race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back