Queen Kong / Ladyfest Berlin Hassle (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am supportive of them as immigrants but not as feminists. :) As I said the two are not mutually exclusive.

Also it's a ridiculous fucking question from a ridiculous fucking person.

This is what I'm trying to ask him. I've asked like three times now, but he won't say.

He says he isn't reading my posts because, I dunno, whatever. He won't say why.

I really want to know, so maybe he'll read your post and respond.

He also has not told us what he thinks of disabled immigrant feminists.

And he still won't tell us how the white power rally was. :mad:

here, weve all had our rant.
lets change the subject; Im going blind.
check this crack out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Dancer#Plot

guitar phobia, no less

Men do perform and spectate at ladyfests and magic girl gigs right?

He also has not told us what he thinks of disabled immigrant feminists.

What if there his house was burning down and he could only save one person and one was an imigrant, but to get too the immigrant he'd have to walk over broken syringes, and one was a disabled immigrant, but to get to him he's have to walk over a pool of shit and one was a feminist who had a hose and a map of a secret non-buring way out of the building. Who would he choose to save?

What I'm trying to prove is that irrational hatred is always directly linked to your preception of your reality at any one time. Is Dave taking off his top, or is the top taking itself off Dave, that's what feminism is all about, making choices. Without taking off your top.

Or with, whatever...

I am supportive of them as immigrants but not as feminists. :) As I said the two are not mutually exclusive.

Also it's a ridiculous fucking question.

No, it's not a ridiculous question. If you have a woman who comes here as an immigrant and is turned down for a job because she is of childbearing age and lots of companies don't hire women of childbearing age for permanent employment, and then because of this, she can't get a work permit and is kicked out of the country, then how is that not both an issue of immigration as well as one of gender bias?

I know you will refute the idea of a woman being turned down for a job because she might have a baby, but a number of people do admit they do this, and a hell of a lot more do it without realising they're doing it. So there's no pretending it doesn't happen just because your mates at Accountancy Ireland didn't actually account for it in these stats you think are irrefutable fact.

So as I said, would you only respond to this woman's situation as an immigration-related one, or would you crawl up out of your anti-feminist sewer and admit that it is not a one-dimensional issue? Just as feminist issues are usually connected to other ones, so too are those related to immigration.

There are many issues in my own life that I feel are the intersection between immigration and gender, and you can't look at one without the other. Unless you're you, of course, and believe you can look at issues in isolation because you prefer to oversimplify and then get abusive with people who question your oversimplifications.

I wish I could do that, but unfortunately, like many people who speak up in favour of equality, I am frequently asked to explain myself. And unlike you, I believe that sometimes, I should explain things to people in a reasonable fashion because there's a small chance they might realise that you're not hostile towards them or that you don't want to take their rights away. I also have learned a lot from talking with people about their own perceptions of gender issues, but what I've also learned is that people like you are not ever going to learn to see beyond your own narrowmindedness.

Also, your 'exceeding support' for 'immigrants' implies that we are all some single unit, or that we're all the same, or that somehow, we should be counting our blessings it's not us you're after?

Anyway, you won't read this post because you just talk, you don't listen.

And despite your insistence about how much you love foreigners, fundamentally, I don't see much of a difference in your attitude towards women and the attitudes of an Alabama sheriff who thinks 'de coloureds' should be glad that 'de whaaat man set dem free'.

What if there his house was burning down and he could only save one person and one was an imigrant, but to get too the immigrant he'd have to walk over broken syringes, and one was a disabled immigrant, but to get to him he's have to walk over a pool of shit and one was a feminist who had a hose and a map of a secret non-buring way out of the building. Who would he choose to save?

What I'm trying to prove is that irrational hatred is always directly linked to your preception of your reality at any one time. Is Dave taking off his top, or is the top taking itself off Dave, that's what feminism is all about, making choices. Without taking off your top.

Or with, whatever...

An immigrant, a feminist, and a topless Pantone walk into a bar...

the bar man says, sorry I'm just a little horse

Okay, wait. So what about immigrant dudes who beat their partners? What if those partners are also immigrants?

What if you were running out of a burning building, and like Pantone said, there's an immigrant and a feminist, and the feminist has a map to get to a treasure and some more immigrants you could save, whom would you save? Because remember that feminists are just big liars, and so the feminist's map may well be lying and it may lead you to a room full of feminists in need of saving. And then would you save them?

What if you saved an immigrant from a sinking ship and you pulled her up from the rapidly sinking debris, all, "AAAAAARGH!" And then you soon discovered that this immigrant was not the 'sexy' kind of immigrant, and then also you discovered that this immigrant was actually an asylum-seeker fleeing persecution from her home country after attempting to organise a ladyfest Riyadh or something -- would you fling her back into the frozen sea whence she came?

THESE ARE REAL QUESTIONS, PELVIS.

Also, you still haven't told us how the white power rally was.

Men do perform and spectate at ladyfests and magic girl gigs right?

moose if you can read this in between all this crazy anger and name calling and personal attacks....

yes they do- of course they do.

magical girl/ladyfests are about promoting female music- most of the bands which have women in them also have men in them too and so theres nearly always a mix of women and men on stage at magical girl/ladyfests etc

and that dear all is coolio beanio's.

what point are you about to make ?

And calling the dude a white power supporter just because he disagrees with a lot of people here aint right.

He's not reading my posts anyway. And what he's doing is making assumptions about stuff, not reading other people's posts, and responding to his own assumptions rather than what's being said.

Funny how you point out that my joke about his being white power is not right, but letting it slide that perfectly reasonable points and questions that are not in jest are being ignored.

Although I am absolutely serious that saying he supports one person's 'cause' as justification for dismissing another one is quite scary. It's that kind of ignorance that's scary. And it's funny because in the 1960s, black feminists had problems with the sexism of the civil rights movement and the racism of the feminist movement, and in a way, exposed very big weaknesses inherent in those who think they can support one cause and pretend anything else is just a load of made-up hooey. I don't know any feminists who would think like this, but I do know lots of supposed anti-racists that would deny the existence of sexism because they've never experienced it, but accept the word of someone who has experienced racism even though they've never experienced it. What it says to me is that this person does not really believe in equality, but in whatever will get him or her in the least trouble. Because if their beliefs were fundamentally about respecting the experiences of others, they wouldn't attack feminists for pointing out that sexism still exists. They don't have to take on feminist crusades, but avoiding taking up anti-feminist ones would help a little.

moose if you can read this in between all this crazy anger and name calling and personal attacks....

magical girl/ladyfests are about promoting female music- most of the bands which have women in them also have men in them too and so theres nearly always a mix of women and men on stage a mix of women and men on stage at magical girl/ladyfests etc

and that dear all is coolio.

That there's no ghettoisation involved with them.

Funny how you point out that my joke about his being white power is not right, but letting it slide that perfectly reasonable points and questions that are not in jest are being ignored.

I just thought that was very extreme even relative to the tone of this thread/board and quite un-you like and it does your argument a disservice to resort to it. I have no idea who this chap is nor do I care unless I know him without knowing it in which case I still dont really care.

magical girl/ladyfests are about promoting female music- most of the bands which have women in them also have men in them too and so theres nearly always a mix of women and men on stage at magical girl/ladyfests etc

and that dear all is coolio beanio's.

And at LF Dublin fundraisers and fest the mix was about 50/50. We had lots of support from male mates, and there were lots of dudes on stage, and personally, I thought what felt best about LF was that it felt inclusive. It didn't feel to me like it was about just women, but that we'd thrown this big party for everyone, and made a special effort to bring in more chix.

The only sad part was the homophobes whose money I refunded. But it was sad because I felt bad for them for not being able to see around their own fears enough to enjoy the party going on inside.

Anyway, I don't want to speak about gig things because I am not part of MG or LF Cork. But I hope I'm allowed to speak about the experience of being part of LF Dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back