Queen Kong / Ladyfest Berlin Hassle (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i've being standing clear of a lot of this debate cos some of the shit that would fly was fairly predictable.

But in general I think the whole ladyfest idea is an excellent one and badly needed.

the position of women in rock/pop is getting slightly better over the last 20-30 years.

On the other hand! One thing that bugs me more really is their almost total lack of representation in dance/electronic/drum n bass/hip hop (actually hip hop starting to improve a wee bit)/techno/house/break core etc etc etc

You so often have female vocalists on tracks. women running labels and events etc but when it comes to DJing. producing, writing songs you are down to a tiny handful. If anything this disparity is GROWING and reflects very badly on all involved in the electronic dance scene
(I'd include myself in a minor way in that!)

Fair play to lady fest Dublin who did actually have a lot of electronic acts - I think Americhord stepped in as headliner for Adrea Parker - on the Saturday.

http://www.myspace.com/americhord

http://www.myspace.com/kissmyarp

And on a lighter note (God that sounds so fecking thick!) I have it on the authority of no less than 2 eye witnesses that there was a lad running round mantua wearing only a bra with "don't you wish your girl friend was a freak like me" splashed down him!

Of course I missed it!

kp

I just thought that was very extreme even relative to the tone of this thread/board and quite un-you like and it does your argument a disservice to resort to it. I have no idea who this chap is nor do I care unless I know him without knowing it in which case I still dont really care.

Well, he made it very clear that he wasn't reading my posts because he just plain doesn't like me, and then he won't tell us who he is, and then asserts he's not trolling. Having someone make the suggestion that he knows who I am and then refusing to read my posts without telling me who he is -- it's actually a bit creepy, to be honest.

Perhaps I am being extreme with him, but being rational and sensible isn't helping, so I was just trying his method on for size. And I still don't understand how someone who hasn't been on the receiveing end of racism can admit to the existence of racism but deny the existence of sexism. He won't answer that because it's not possible. There's no way to provide an answer to that without suggesting that women are just liars, or that feminist are liars -- which is just a circular argument.

Pelvis costello (great name dude) informs us:
Actually, Accountancy Ireland did a survey in the first half this year and it confirmed that Women, in this country, earn the same pay as men for the same job.

Would that it were anything like that good - a persistent pay gap lingers throughout the EU - have a read of a talk I gave to my anarcho buddies of late to be found here!!

http://www.wsm.ie/news_viewer/2758

kp

On the other hand! One thing that bugs me more really is their almost total lack of representation in dance/electronic/drum n bass/hip hop (actually hip hop starting to improve a wee bit)/techno/house/break core etc etc etc

You so often have female vocalists on tracks. women running labels and events etc but when it comes to DJing. producing, writing songs you are down to a tiny handful. If anything this disparity is GROWING and reflects very badly on all involved in the electronic dance scene
(I'd include myself in a minor way in that!)

Fair play to lady fest Dublin who did actually have a lot of electronic acts - I think Americhord stepped in as headliner for Adrea Parker - on the Saturday.

http://www.myspace.com/americhord

http://www.myspace.com/kissmyarp

kp

i was in road the other day and bought an americhord 7" for €1.99.
she was exceelent at ladyfest- one of my highlights.

also if you could just throw your eyes over to this little gig :D
scream club are two female rapper/mc's who are playing in dublin- its going to be excellent

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=53447

but yeah i know what you mean- there are only a few names i can think of, americhord, cara snatch, theres a girl called rachel who works in grogans who dj's electronica..
its pretty think on the ground..

there's a girl in leeds trying to set up a database for female dj's you might find interesting

http://www.myspace.com/wombeatz

This thread points out all that is wrong and right in the world of thumped...it's sad that for every ten active feminists on here there's a sexist ignorant idiot who talks over them.
Siobhan, Queen Kong, Ladyfest Cork girls - fuck the begrudgers, just keep doing what you're doing because there will always be people to support you.
Don't let them make you question your ethics or your beliefs. If these idiots walked in a female musician's shoes (hell, any woman's shoes) for one day they'd see what we're on about.
But instead of sitting around complaining, women are getting up, getting out there and say 'fuck you' to anyone who looks down on them.
And yet we still get grief.
For feminists, especially in the music world, every single thing we do we see as step for other women. It might seem trivial to those of you who have never been actively judged on your gender, but believe me, it's not trivial at all.

Feminism is an outmoded concept that will earn it's place among other useless ideologies.

I view pro women events like I view pro white rallies. They too believe there is an imbalance in society that warrants their cause.

are you having a laugh? you can't be can you? seriously though?

Well said.

Bet he won't read it, though. Too busy barking at his mammy that she didn't separate his colours and the dye from his swastika underpants bled all over his pointy hood.

'King hell!

You might disagree with Pelvis' er, philosophy but c'mon- (unintentionally) invoking Godwin's Law to bolster your own point is a bit much & looks a bit ridiculous.

Well maybe you're very angry by what he (I'm presuming Pelvis is male) is posting in this thread but if you feel he is 'trolling' then you're best off not feeding 'him'.

*insert positive emoticon here*

Nope, he seems to believe this for real. He's also a regular poster trolling, and is being extremely creepy, and won't answer anyone's questions.

Ah, threads about feminism. Will they ever end any other way?
they never end well, do they? It's sad.

Oh - I think someone was taking about female electronic artists? Here's one:
Ellen Allien - amazing German musician.

'King hell!

You might disagree with Pelvis' er, philosophy but c'mon- (unintentionally) invoking Godwin's Law to bolster your own point is a bit much & looks a bit ridiculous.

Well maybe you're very angry by what he (I'm presuming Pelvis is male) is posting in this thread but if you feel he is 'trolling' then you're best off not feeding 'him'.

*insert positive emoticon here*

Actually, I partly wanted to see if anyone was reading my posts because most people say that they don't bother. And then, when these threads come up, they respond to anything I say based on assumptions they've made, not anything I've actually said.

And also, rather than challenge him for making baseless nasty comments (and then refusing to say who he is) then calling me and others names, a few people have chosen to give out to me instead.

It's interesting, I think.

come again? Who are these people?

edit: actually don't bother, i'm just being difficult
It would take a fucking thesis to get to the kernel of what I mean, and I don't mean men are NEVER judged on being men. But women are judged differently, and are judged nearly all the freaking time, so much so that it's built into society so much that we barely even notice...

but yeah i know what you mean- there are only a few names i can think of, americhord, cara snatch, theres a girl called rachel who works in grogans who dj's electronica..
its pretty think on the ground..

there's a girl in leeds trying to set up a database for female dj's you might find interesting

http://www.myspace.com/wombeatz __________________

And, of course, the ever outstanding Ellen Alien

OH - I saw that - don't worry - good poster - You're Only Massive are up in Dublin for that working class heroes yoke I believe.

I think rap music is one of the few where women have broken in to an extent- despite its macho posturing!

The dance/techno end is even more annoying because I feel its actually getting much worse. Even if you get a female DJ there seems to be an immediate pressure to be a lisa lashes or a lisa pinup (swear to god those are real names of real people!!)

- On the subject tho' - check out Cara/DJ Half Dutch on radio na life Saturday nights - outstanding - beat matching old seventies funk, hip hop, elctro, reggae - really good stuff

That data bass sounds like a much needed idea - maybe something similar for Dublin - I think its difficult enough for a lot of fellas to penetrate into the oligarchic cults of the Dublin DJ world - double, treble difficult for a woman

kp

Yeah was just going to mention Ellen Allien in electronica, and Colleen, and also, Hardhouse queen, Lisa Lashes....

Don't know if there is any particular bias against women in electronica....I just don't think as many women as men choose it as a creative outlet for whatever reason, possibly the same reason women are lesslikely to play warhammer games or get obsessed over lego, comic books, or premier league football..whether that is a cultural difference, or a physiological difference between the sexes I dunno, but I think its fair to say that men and women's brains are wired differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back