Queen Kong / Ladyfest Berlin Hassle (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the opposite of egotistical. I mean, I wouldn't dream of doing something unless I was good at it - not cos I have a big ego, but cos I have a fragile ego and always think I'll fail at things.

I meant in that assuming that anyone would give a damn about how good I was..... eh, guess it's two sides to the same coin

My favourite deejays are deejays that smile at the crowd... my least favourite are deejays who scowl and pretend to be doing something with nobs all the time the tune is playing...

Cool.

Just imagine the front row in their underpants :D

Actually, lots of the deejays working so called 'alternative' nights in Dublin now are women, Loreana Rushe and Kool Drool are two I can think of straight off...and I've never heard anyone make a comment on the deejay's sex, any nights I've seen those guys playing.

yeah there's way more female dj's now, it's fantastic! There's shitloads in London, but some trade a bit on their sexuality in a way I personally wouldn't be comfortable with.

Any comments made on me being female have been positive when I've djed...

Sweet oblivion I here what you are saying here

so we have to be PERFECT before we perform in public.

However when you say
I DJ irregularly, but all I do is pick music out, press a few buttons and hope people will dance.

to me that IS DJING - all the beat matching, scratching, spin backs, level control, filters or what ever are merely extras. DJing is playing rekords you like in sequence to people who wanna dance. No more no less.

And if you don't like people and music you will be found out regardless of how many of these frills you layer on

Now the DJ oligarchy would like you to believe that there's some massive skill set you need - don't believe em

bust in there punk stylee

that siad I know it isn't easy and there's no signs of any one attempting to make it easier. Some of the heads in electronic resistance were thinking of doing DJ classes sa seomra spraoi - I'll get on to them...

kp

I don't know how you do it, I'd just get pissed off at the shite that keeps getting requested. Or maybe do what Tricky used to do and put on the first Specials album and then go for a wander

yeah but change has been slow and a good deal slower then women in bands or women bands I reckon - and you do tend to get this kinda "chicks with dex" syndrome (by promoters) like it was some extraordinary deal - its only rekord changing!!

kp

Originally Posted by cephalopod
Cool.

Actually, lots of the deejays working so called 'alternative' nights in Dublin now are women, Loreana Rushe and Kool Drool are two I can think of straight off...and I've never heard anyone make a comment on the deejay's sex, any nights I've seen those guys playing.

I don't know how you do it, I'd just get pissed off at the shite that keeps getting requested. Or maybe do what Tricky used to do and put on the first Specials album and then go for a wander
I felt really mean one night when a girl was requesting stuff like the Kooks, and it was her birthday...thankfully she mentioned the Smiths so I didn't make her cry or anything! I always feel bad saying 'Er, i don't have that, sorry'

yeah there's way more female dj's now, it's fantastic! There's shitloads in London, but some trade a bit on their sexuality in a way I personally wouldn't be comfortable with.

Any comments made on me being female have been positive when I've djed...

My girlfriend has been DJing a few years now. She's more into the playing the song stuff than anything showy. She says people used to remark on her being female all the time when she started but now people seem much less surprised by it.

There's Poppy Llyod too, and the Clap and loads of others.

My girlfriend has been DJing a few years now. She's more into the playing the song stuff than anything showy. She says people used to remark on it all the time when she started but now people seem much less surprised by it.

There's Poppy Llyod too, and the Clap and loads of others.
I find that it's at the start of the night that I'd get a few quare looks, when I'd first get into the booth or whatever. But as soon as the music started that would disappear. Some people get even more excited when it's a girl.

Queens of Noize - look at what they've achieved - they're massive, they have a few club nights AND a label AND a radio show!!

mmm, but it's very much because they're attractive and mates with the libertines.

or so they are portrayed....

How about whatshername Geldof and her Trash Pussys (i think?) DJ thing, what do you make of it?

nuclear_explosion%2006.jpg

mmm, but it's very much because they're attractive and mates with the libertines.

How about whatshername Geldof and her Trash Pussys (i think?) DJ thing, what do you make of it?

I dunno a lot about QON but I defo wouldn't write them off just 'cos they're attractive! They're not young either, it's not like they just fell into the job. You don't get places just by being pretty. If you have nothing to back it up, then you're fucked.

I dunno about Geldof and yer wan, cos I've never seen them etc.

That was just a one-off kind of thing or do they have a night?

And what of it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back