Queen Kong / Ladyfest Berlin Hassle (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, of course, the ever outstanding Ellen Alien

OH - I saw that - don't worry - good poster - You're Only Massive are up in Dublin for that working class heroes yoke I believe.

I think rap music is one of the few where women have broken in to an extent- despite its macho posturing!

The dance/techno end is even more annoying because I feel its actually getting much worse. Even if you get a female DJ there seems to be an immediate pressure to be a lisa lashes or a lisa pinup (swear to god those are real names of real people!!)

- On the subject tho' - check out Cara/DJ Half Dutch on radio na life Saturday nights - outstanding - beat matching old seventies funk, hip hop, elctro, reggae - really good stuff

That data bass sounds like a much needed idea - maybe something similar for Dublin - I think its difficult enough for a lot of fellas to penetrate into the oligarchic cults of the Dublin DJ world - double, treble difficult for a woman

kp

I think the world of DJing is quite scary for some women - I DJ irregularly, but all I do is pick music out, press a few buttons and hope people will dance. I'd love to learn how to actually DJ. But I'd be afraid I'd look like a berk. I think that's why a lot of women don't get into things like learning instruments etc - we feel like all eyes will be on us when we get on stage, so we have to be PERFECT before we perform in public.

Actually, I partly wanted to see if anyone was reading my posts because most people say that they don't bother. And then, when these threads come up, they respond to anything I say based on assumptions they've made, not anything I've actually said.

And also, rather than challenge him for making baseless nasty comments (and then refusing to say who he is) then calling me and others names, a few people have chosen to give out to me instead.

It's interesting, I think.

It's not that interesting. He was already being challenged quite adeptly by a few people infinitely more articulate on the subject than me. I thought that a white power reference needed calling. So I called it. And then I went to the toilet.

And also, rather than challenge him for making baseless nasty comments (and then refusing to say who he is) then calling me and others names, a few people have chosen to give out to me instead.

It's interesting, I think.

Erm, just redressing the balance a little. I think the Thumped massive have let their feelings be known re: PelvisCostello's point on this thread in very colourful language too.

Saying that a loose definition of feminism isn't the most inclusive of philosophies isn't exactly a radicle thought but implying that holding this opinion equates to being a White Supremacist or Nazi is well...beneath contempt & self-defeating.

I think that's why a lot of women don't get into things like learning instruments etc - we feel like all eyes will be on us when we get on stage, so we have to be PERFECT before we perform in public.

no, I feel that as well......

pretty egotistical of me

On a lighter note, in the past few years I would say the number of females on stage in bands in Dublin, and not just as vocalists but as deejays, musicians, and song-writers has really really increased. And I don't think a woman on stage comes under any more scrutiny than a man...or should feel the need to 'feel perfect' like someone has suggested....

True or false?

There are more women involved in rock music now because Kate Moss wore nice Welligton boots at Glastonbury?

*ducks*

And I don't think a woman on stage comes under any more scrutiny than a man...or should feel the need to 'feel perfect' like someone has suggested....
they shouldn't be it doesn't mean they don't...
it's an individual thing about having to be perfect, I just know that I empathise with someone who feels like that cos that's how I feel.

sweetoblivion
I DJ irregularly, but all I do is pick music out, press a few buttons and hope people will dance.

You see that is DJING. Scratching, beatmatchin, spin backs etc are just optional extras. A DJ plays rekords in sequence for people's dancing pleasure. Its the whole Cult/Oligarchical nature of it that suggests its anything more and I can see how that would be very intinimdating

DON'T BE - Its a mythos no more or less! If you like music and people you are 99% there!
so we have to be PERFECT before we perform in public.

I

they shouldn't be it doesn't mean they don't...
it's an individual thing about having to be perfect, I just know that I empathise with someone who feels like that cos that's how I feel.

Cool.

Just imagine the front row in their underpants :D

Actually, lots of the deejays working so called 'alternative' nights in Dublin now are women, Loreana Rushe and Kool Drool are two I can think of straight off...and I've never heard anyone make a comment on the deejay's sex, any nights I've seen those guys playing.

sweetoblivion

You see that is DJING. Scratching, beatmatchin, spin backs etc are just optional extras. A DJ plays rekords in sequence for people's dancing pleasure. Its the whole Cult/Oligarchical nature of it that suggests its anything more and I can see how that would be very intinimdating

DON'T BE - Its a mythos no more or less! If you like music and people you are 99% there!

I

I feel better now :heart::)
I suppose sometimes we undermine what we do...I love djing, although each time I get a new night something happens to screw it up!

What was affirming though was the amount of girls who would come up to me and say things like 'Wow! I've never seen a girl djing before!' etc...they were always so complimentary and lovely and gave me such support. It just made me think 'YEAH!' .|..|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back