Public versus Private Sector (3 Viewers)

According to the news yesterday, teachers were picketing the Dept of Education rather than individual schools.

That was only one of the teacher's unions though wasn't it? There was talk on the news last week that one of the others only required their members to be on the picket at the schools for 90 minutes in the morning (8:30-10)

That was only one of the teacher's unions though wasn't it? There was talk on the news last week that one of the others only required their members to be on the picket at the schools for 90 minutes in the morning (8:30-10)

I only had to do 2 hours. 8am-10am. I really don't get what how long people stood on a picket line or what they did when they weren't picketing has to do with anything though.

I only had to do 2 hours. 8am-10am. I really don't get what how long people stood on a picket line or what they did when they weren't picketing has to do with anything though.

i think the uproar is down to public sector heads spending money outside ireland whilst simultaneously looking to avoid further pay cuts which is seen as a double "fuck the country, not my problem" thing.

I was just pointing out that not all the schools that Dudley passed may have been picketless due to the staff picketing the department.

If I had a big gripe I'd want everyone to know. I'd let everyone know by being at the picket.

As jane said earlier - she was 'advised' to ring in sick or take a day off, but not to pass the picket. That sounds like something that would have been the case across the board, so I think its likely that lots of those not picketing couldnt' really give a shit and have no desire or care about being on strike.

Especially given theres not really all that much to be striking about in the first place. Relatively speaking I mean.

Still, another shopping day beckons for december 3rd. The lads above in newry are rubbing their hands at the thoughts of it no doubt.

i think the uproar is down to public sector heads spending money outside ireland whilst simultaneously looking to avoid further pay cuts which is seen as a double "fuck the country, not my problem" thing.

but what about everyone else that does it?

If I had a big gripe I'd want everyone to know. I'd let everyone know by being at the picket.

As jane said earlier - she was 'advised' to ring in sick or take a day off, but not to pass the picket. That sounds like something that would have been the case across the board, so I think its likely that lots of those not picketing couldnt' really give a shit and have no desire or care about being on strike.

Especially given theres not really all that much to be striking about in the first place. Relatively speaking I mean.

Still, another shopping day beckons for december 3rd. The lads above in newry are rubbing their hands at the thoughts of it no doubt.

No, no, no. I was not advised anything. I had to work and pass the picket or go unpaid. Calling in sick or annual leave was NOT an option. If I mistyped earlier, I apologize. I'm one of the very few people not in the union... crossing the picket didn't seem like fun. Five non-union people came in yesterday (all management) from what I heard. We weren't open to the public. Everyone in my office (apart from myself) was on the picket.

Who cares anyway, it's all someone elses fault.
Shame people can't think things through for themselves and instead swallow whatever tripe the Indo is pushing that day.
This is by far the best media and spin campaign ever waged by the Irish government.

i had thought that if it was important enough an issue to strike over then it would have been important enough to have a bit of effort put into it. i saw a few pickets around town yesterday alright but it mostly looked like standing around. the thing that strikes me about all this public/private sector fuss is that it all seems a bit selfish. i agree its harsh that public sector employees have to take another cut but all i ever hear is "well, i didnt cause this mess, why should i pay anything?". you rarely hear anyone with a job suggest that because the country is going down the tubes we should all pay a bit more tax or maybe work a bit more just for the sake of doing something positive (even if the banks are getting off with it). shopping, and keeping the kids out of school isnt in itself much use.

the problem with the partnership process is that people tend to forget what striking is actually about

probably said this before on this thread, but calling it 'public vs. private' is silly, in a sort of 'if you except it as precedent, conditions will follow' kind of way. thought the turnout was pretty good based on how shit the weather is and how used the civils are to being outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back