Public versus Private Sector (6 Viewers)

It's the wrong fight. End of story.
On the streets now - EVERYONE!!!

this is where this thread should have ended!

it's a pointless argument and it's only more smoke and mirrors to keep people off the real issues, massively incompetent politicians, huge defrauding of banks, oppurtunistic employment practices and the ever increasing bitterness on both Yes and No sides of the Lisbon Treaty...

I didn't see Pat Kenny cause I was in work till all hours, but I'm pretty dismayed that it's this sort of easy to stir pointless reteroic he's going for, rather then actually deal with something real or important

what next week? Culchies or Jackeens, who's a bigger bollox?

yeah well your right there. so there. however, countries have to run like companies at some level to sustain themselves, unless we can somehow survive without importing anything.

I didn't see Pat Kenny cause I was in work till all hours, but I'm pretty dismayed that it's this sort of easy to stir pointless reteroic he's going for, rather then actually deal with something real or important

what next week? Culchies or Jackeens, who's a bigger bollox?

wait now, i wont have people dissing pat kenny like this

in fairness it was the audience themselves who were falling over themselves to throw blame around and ignore anyone who dared suggest that the public vs private thing was not really the issue. maybe segregating them into the private and public sides was a bad idea - public people might have been slower to wave dismissively at the other side and say things like "those property speculators over there are the reason i have to take a pay cut" to bewildered looking grocery store owners and low wage employees.

the hse, if i understand it correctly, are threatening to strike if anyones income or job is threatened in anyway and that will make it difficult to make things more cost effective through restructuring and cutting flabby jobs etc (which i imagine nobody will admit to holding).

Question for anyone in private sector:
Have you taken a pay cut?
I work for myself (engineer) and had to drop my rate 10% to the people I currently contract to. Other contractors who were earning more than me took more of a hit.

Work was down for the first 8 months of the year. I was doing 20-30 hours a week for the first 5 months of the year. Phone calls from recruitment agencies stopped. There are less projects happening. Some permanent staff were going to be let go but were found projects abroad and emigrated at short notice.

Its starting to pick up now a bit.

And, if so, was it needed or was it an opportunistic measure taken by the company because there was an excuse to do so?
It was needed at the time. If things pick up next year, then people will renegotiate.

Question for anyone in private sector:
Have you taken a pay cut? And, if so, was it needed or was it an opportunistic measure taken by the company because there was an excuse to do so?

- pay freeze for forseeable future
- no bonus paid in 2009
- no longer paid for overtime
- 10% annual profitsharing gone [effectively a pay cut of 10%]
- possible relocation with increased commuting costs and no payment of relocation expenses
- occasional abuse from members of the public

yet there's plenty of fuckers who want to throw people like me in jail.

A trade union leader should not have to write a letter to a national newspaper pleading for members of the public to differentiate between high level bankers and ordinary officials.

The fact that he did speaks volumes for the intelligence of some of those sheep out there.

The general public are spastics
Manager, Easons O'Connell St, 1991

Looks odd alright, but I think that's a negotiating position. Getting their retaliation in first.

The Government is talking about pay cuts but there are pay increases due that were never implemented.

just changed from private sector to public sector (HSE) recently.
in my last job i worked 4 days a week, had 28 days annual leave. earned x amount a year (no lolcats plsthx), about 450e out of my monthly wages was deducted (not inlcuding pension).
now working for the HSE, 5 days a week, 20 days annual leave. earning x amount + 4,000. about 750e deductions per month (fortnightly anyway, more for the 5 week months i guess). the deductions per annum are 10 grand. works out at around the same amount of take home pay. lucky to have the job but rumblings about further pay cuts are kinda worrying.

Here's what Prof John Fitzgerald of the ESRI has to say on this (quoted from front of Irish Times).

He questioned whether costs had actually come down in the private sector. “In our modelling we felt that wage rates, for example, would fall by 7 per cent over two years in the private sector. However, the latest data suggests that, in spite of what people are saying, costs are not coming down significantly. They are still rising, according to CSO data.”
He said there had been a 7 per cent wage cut in the public sector, and many of his European colleagues were “staggered” this had been accepted by Irish public sector workers.
“In terms of where we go from here, it will be important that it is seen that here is some reaction from the private sector and so far the data suggests that there has been no significant cuts in labour costs or wage rates in the private sector . . . Until we see the data from the CSO, there cannot really be further cuts in the public sector.”

is there any truth to the stories about loads of public workers headin off to newry to go shopping yesterday? i'm think i'm officially taking sides now.

sure theres great bargains to be had there.

my window here overlooks the enterprise ireland office. They were out striking yesterday, but legged it when it started raining.

the fire brigade on annesley bridge on the other hand stayed out in the rain.

yeah.

is there any truth to the stories about loads of public workers headin off to newry to go shopping yesterday? i'm think i'm officially taking sides now.

Dunno but I know two people here who had to take the day off work yesterday because their kids were off school.
Both were planning to head north to do some shopping.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1125/1224259395216.html

The prison officer from the midlands getting out of his blue BMW didn’t want to give his name. But a “stand” had to be taken. “It’s like my wife says – if you take a lollipop off a child and the child doesn’t bitch, the child will never see another sweet.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back