Public versus Private Sector (3 Viewers)

“I hate shopping,” he said with conviction, “but it’s better to be getting bargains here than being on the picket line in Dublin.”

A Co Louth teacher agreed, saying that if she was going to lose a day’s pay at least she would recoup some of her losses through the Newry bargains.

christ.

“I hate shopping,” he said with conviction, “but it’s better to be getting bargains here than being on the picket line in Dublin.”

A Co Louth teacher agreed, saying that if she was going to lose a day’s pay at least she would recoup some of her losses through the Newry bargains.

christ.

There was no school for Nissa due to the strike, so they decided they’d take advantage of the day off with some early Christmas shopping. “I didn’t realise the rest of the country would be here as well,” said Thomas, as he drove around fruitlessly searching for a parking space.

Jim, a construction worker from Naas in Co Kildare who was putting some of his purchases in his car, said he had little reason to feel solidarity with the strikers. Perhaps he was emboldened in his honesty by the fact that his wife, a striking teacher, was still away in the shops.
He reserved his ire for the Government. “They are telling us not to come here, and spend our money down South. Why? So they can give it to the banks!

Christ!

Is there a Road Records in Newry?

Just curious, but how did yesterday's 1-day-stoppage effect people?

as far as i can tell, our bins weren't collected and that's about it. anyone have any horror stories, or was traffic just generally lighter?

Question for anyone in private sector:
Have you taken a pay cut? And, if so, was it needed or was it an opportunistic measure taken by the company because there was an excuse to do so?

My brothers work in the same company and took a 25% pay cut about six months ago.

I'm in England where they've decided to just print more money.

I passed 7 pickets on the way to work yesterday. The only one still active when I was going home was the one outside the NCAD. I was pretty impressed with there persistence.

One of my work colleagues got so pissed off with the rude way the strikers were blocking the footpaths that he ended up swearing at one lot.

College was cancelled yesterday because of this.

which was actually a bad thing

My brothers work in the same company and took a 25% pay cut about six months ago.

I'm in England where they've decided to just print more money.

For the record, my weekly hours inceased so I'm now working an extra three weeks a year when I add it up.

on my way through cabra yesterday morning, passed plenty of shut schools, not one single picketer outside.

in the rotunda yesterday, services were v slow and it took ages for us to get signed out. most bizarre twist was the caterer apologising to my wife for giving her cold bread instead of toasted with her poached eggs, as one of the strike rules forbade them using the toasters.....

I've come to the conclusion that if you want peoples empathy/sympathy don't block the footpath with a grump on your face and make them walk out on the road.

It'd also be great if there were unions to stop private companies folding.

Took a day unpaid instead of crossing the picket line. Not in a union and almost everyone I work with is and was on strike. Choice was... come to work or you're considered on strike and lose a days pay. No sick or annual leave is valid. It sucks to lose a days pay but I think it would have sucked harder to cross the line. I went to a doctors appointment and slept nearly 16 hours.

Were you asleep during the doctors appointment?

I'm narcoleptic.

Oh and I can tell you the hospitals are screwed today because of yesterday. Had to wait 3/12 hours to get blood drawn today. I thought there were going to be fist fights. When I left people coming in had 140+ people in head of them. I got there 15 minutes after it was open. Those people will be there all day.

Just curious, but how did yesterday's 1-day-stoppage effect people?

as far as i can tell, our bins weren't collected and that's about it. anyone have any horror stories, or was traffic just generally lighter?

there was a run on chocolate muffins in the café across from the Dept. Of Finance cause of the strikers scoffing them all, so I had to get a pastry... it was harsh, but y'know we all have to pull together in these difficult times...

why one chap out side the Dept. was dressed like Pugsley the Children In Need Bear is still completely fucking beyond me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back