Public versus Private Sector (1 Viewer)

I'm sick of hearing about it. People are so f**king stupid.
Sheep!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i don't recall hearing anyone arguing for a pay rise.

i'm down 10% on my take home pay since this time last year.

anyway things are only going to get worse when it becomes private sector vs (frontline vs non-frontline) public sector

anyone ever read howard zinn's history of the usa. somewhere in that there's a few paragraphs detailing how during the transitions from colonial govt to united states, the biggest problem for the ruling classes became the unity among the poor and the (black) slaves againts the ruling classes. to subjugate this, the established a number of slightly different standards among pay and rights between the slaves and the white poor, thus causing a polarising rift between the social groups. this rift took the focus off the real issue, the power mongering and the genral ill treatment. it was known in zinn's book as 'tunring the poor against the poor'

funny in the week where we are supposed to ratify the united states of europe, the same old tac seems to be working nicely.

there was a cute blonde teacher near the start who said something about losing a lot of her pay. i could be wrong but it seems all the scalping of the civil service/public is going on among ground level people, and not at the high level where it probably should start.

i thinnk aoboa is right though, its the wrong fight.

oh, and my username is probably misleading, i dont work in the public sector.

what exactly are the public sector giving out about?

It's the private sector doing the giving out.
There's been a steady and heavy handed attack on the public sector in the media for the last year which has everyone in the private sector baying for the public sectors blood.

It's gonna result in another pay cut for the public sector in the next budget instead of the reform and reorganisation that the public sector really needs. The pay cut will make the government look like they're doing something while failing to address the real issues. The private sector will be sated while the majority of the public sector will be screwed and a huge amount of people will have less money to spend in a f**ked economy.
Meanwhile the majority of state agencies will still be bloated, top heavy and inefficient.

It's the private sector doing the giving out.
There's been a steady and heavy handed attack on the public sector in the media for the last year which has everyone in the private sector baying for the public sectors blood.

It's gonna result in another pay cut for the public sector in the next budget instead of the reform and reorganisation that the public sector really needs. The pay cut will make the government look like they're doing something while failing to address the real issues. The private sector will be sated while the majority of the public sector will be screwed and a huge amount of people will have less money to spend in a f**ked economy.
Meanwhile the majority of state agencies will still be bloated, top heavy and inefficient.

fair enough, can't say i would totally disagree with pay cuts to match the private sector tho, but i don't know too much about it all.

fair enough, can't say i would totally disagree with pay cuts to match the private sector tho, but i don't know too much about it all.

Like Pete said. They've already had a huge pay cut - a levy dressed up as a tax to pay for their pensions - which doesn't go anywhere near their pensions.
The current media spin is that the public sector earns on average 25% more than the private sector. AFAIK this is gross salary and probably doesn't take into account the pension levy, which would be typical of how the media are playing this. There are a multitude of truths in an average and like I said above a reorg of something like the HSE would probably get the average down without having to cut wages - granted a load of duplicate higher level jobs would have to go but that's what's really wrong at the moment.

Anyway, there will be a pay cut but I hope it's no more than 5%. I'll play the emotive card here and say that I personnally don't whant to see teachers, nurses and garda getting massive pay cuts and having them worrying about paying their bills when they should be doing their jobs :)

The show was strangely anarchic for a Pat Kenny show, which you'd usually expect to be chaired quite tightly. It was unfairly weighted towards the public sector I thought, although perhaps they were trying to redress some of the imbalance up to now. It was funny seeing Eddie Hobbs slumming it inthe audience - you could tell he was gutted not to be on the panel and hated being told to be quiet by other people trying to make their point.

aye, and most of the private sector people that got to speak weren't properly representitive of the private workforce, especially the FF plant, and the suited up twit.
no-one was speaking for ME, apart from the nice guy can't afford a pension in lieu of being able to employ one more person, i'm as nice as him

I'm a private sector resource myself.
The current thing being bandied about is that people in the public sector earn 25% more than those in the private sector. As previously said, I doubt this takes into account the levy. Nor does it, I think, take into account that most public sector jobs are skilled in some way, whereas the private sector encompasses all kinds of labour: from people who work in shops to whatever high-flyers. It's a nonsense figure, thrown about to stir up resentment and turn workers against each other.

Didn't see the Pat Kenny show though.

Btw I do recognise that serious reform of the public services is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back