PS3 a big flop? (1 Viewer)

Who'll be able to afford €630 for a console? Do they know if that comes with games? If not, you're looking at probably €800 for a console and three games. That's insano. How much was the PS2 at launch?

Who'll be able to afford €630 for a console? Do they know if that comes with games? If not, you're looking at probably €800 for a console and three games. That's insano. How much was the PS2 at launch?

If i was buyin one at launch i'd want 4 games and an extra controller. Thats not much shy of a grand.

That said there'll be plenty of cheap bundles available for it come chrimbo.

other than the free downloadable games, you get zilch. i was expecting to find some goodies on that 60gb drive, but you get nothing.

PS2 was £330 at launch. PS1 was £300 if memory serves.

the amount in stock is irrelevant - surely what matters is how many have been shipped & how many have been sold?

weren't the being attacked for not having enough machines on the shelves before christmas?

of course it's not irrelevant, with previous ps launches no matter how many they stocked it was impossible to keep them on the shelves. it's particularly damning when you consider how few consoles they actually managed to ship in the first place. nintendo have gotten twice the stock out there and there are still melee's to get hold of them.

there have been numerous reports like that one above, have been for weeks now, and with comments like yer man from valve...sony are going to need to pull something pretty big out of the bag if they intend to keep selling this machine i think.

i really cannot imagine it selling more than a couple of thousand in ireland at that price point

of course it's not irrelevant,
McNealy added that stores with available PS3s generally had numbers in the low single digits, however, with only one major retailer having more than 60 units. He also reiterated that the availability of PS3s "does not necessarily indicate slack demand," as production could have seen a recent increase.
with previous ps launches no matter how many they stocked it was impossible to keep them on the shelves. it's particularly damning when you consider how few consoles they actually managed to ship in the first place.
A million by year's end, wasn't it?

nintendo have gotten twice the stock out there and there are still melee's to get hold of them.
At the end of the day the Wii is a toy, built with 90% last-generation technology, and is priced accordingly. Lower price + novelty value = higher demand. The PS3 is about as bleeding edge as you can get and it carries a price premium because of that, yet is still in high demand. So it goes.

there have been numerous reports like that one above, have been for weeks now,
All that report tells us is that there are PS3's available. Before that, they were getting grief because they *weren't* available. It's almost like some people are going to attack them regardless...

and with comments like yer man from valve...sony are going to need to pull something pretty big out of the bag if they intend to keep selling this machine i think.

Well, the one big thing they have is the word PlayStation on the box & that shouldn't be underestimated. Sure, Gabe Newell has his views, but based on what I've seen so far actual programmers aren't having much trouble getting fantastic results out of it so far.

i really cannot imagine it selling more than a couple of thousand in ireland at that price point
The PS3 is worth what I paid for it, considering you get a BluRay player into the bargain for less than the cost of almost every other BluRay player out there, but would I pay €630 for one? I'd be tempted, but I really don't know. Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would, just for the sake of having the latest thing.

But I doubt Sony (europe) are too bothered about summer sales. Next Christmas will be the important one and it'll be interesting to see what price it drops to.

I aint tied to any console had a ps2/xbox/gamecube. I would really like to get a ps3 but at the moment they are way to expensive plus the games lineup isnt exactly amazing (neither was the ps2's though). But i think the main here issue is that sony were not willing to take a hit on the ps3. They wanted to make as much money from it as possible. Whereas ms wanted to keep the price point small to ensure a larger market share. Maybe sony dont feel that they need to increase market share as the ps2 completely dominated the market.

A point that i think is valid though is the complete lack of exclusive titles they have. Microsoft have been very smart in this department securing some huge deals on third party title and also buying rare, bungie and lionhead studios. Not to mention the peter jackson stuff.

What do sony have ?

Resistence (not great reviews but looks great!)
Gran Turismo (dev problems so they have scraped it and restarted)
GTA (no longer and exclusive from day one and wont have downloadable content like the 360)
Tekken (strongly rumoured to be moving to 360 as well)
Metal Gear Solid (rumours but dont believe them)

Fair enough they have priced themselve in the market at what probably is a very valid price for what you are getting. But the problem here is that they higher the price the less people are willing/able to pay for it. If the market share is small then developers will have no choice to port to the 360 (look at assasins creed, this was a huge title for sony but was spotted at e3 being demoed with 360 controllers. Again rumours of dev issues). Game developers are about one thing, sales, and if they cant get the sales on the ps3 in the first year there is a serious danger from sonys point of view. This is shown by the fact the mizagochi (the father of the ps) stepping/forced down to another role. I think they know something has gone wrong and they need to fix this. I am personally going to wait till xmas to get one, just to see what happens the market/upcoming releases!

I can't see a price drop anytime soon considering that the production costs of the ps3 are going up constantly due to rising component prices.

Its amazing to think that Sony have sold 220 million ps1/ps2s. If I didn't have a 360 with all the games I've invested in i'd definitely get a ps3.

However from what I hear many of the current ps3 releases aren't even matching the 360 visually, it'll be interesting to see what the second generation of ps3 games look like.

I wonder did sony learn valuable lessons from the psp mess?

Also i think Sony have the exclusive F1 licence but those games have a proven track record of being shite.

Come to think of it my only gripe with the 360 is that there isn't a decent racing sim available.

forza 2 is looking quite nice, plus the force-feedback wheel will be a nice addition

Here if I start slagging the PS3 can I get called a two-note shitbean?

It's just comical how much Sony have screwed themselves. It's also amazing how well nintendo seem to be doing with a novelty controller and a gamecube re-packaged.

I'll probably still get a PS3 in a year or so if the price comes down and it has the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back