Prostitution Poll (2 Viewers)

Where do you stand on prostitution?

• Total voters
i stand on yes, thats where...my main concerns about prostitution have nothing to do w morals, only physical & mental health, safety and the security rights associated w other streams of earning.

criminalisation fails to address these critical points.

I dunno if that's a lack of resources to lobby for legalisation or what -- any of yis know more about this?
When the rest of europe decides what is the best way to go about it we'll copy them, in 20 years time. Until then sure we're grand. Sure noone in Ireland would use a prostitute. You can go over to england and get a prostitute if you really want one.

you sure about that?
Yes, surprising but true.

took this from Wikipedia:

Although outlawed in nearly all countries, forms of slavery still exist in some parts of the world. [3][4] According to a broad definition of slavery used by Kevin Bales of Free the Slaves (FTS), an advocacy group linked with Anti-Slavery International, there were 27 million people (although some put the number as high as 200 million) who worked in virtual slavery in 2007, spread all over the world.[82] According to FTS, these slaves represent the largest number of people that has ever been in slavery at any point in world history and the smallest percentage of the total human population that has ever been enslaved at once.

Yes, surprising but true.

took this from Wikipedia:

Although outlawed in nearly all countries, forms of slavery still exist in some parts of the world. [3][4] According to a broad definition of slavery used by Kevin Bales of Free the Slaves (FTS), an advocacy group linked with Anti-Slavery International, there were 27 million people (although some put the number as high as 200 million) who worked in virtual slavery in 2007, spread all over the world.[82] According to FTS, these slaves represent the largest number of people that has ever been in slavery at any point in world history and the smallest percentage of the total human population that has ever been enslaved at once.

Interesting -- I was gonna post this yesterday but then didn't. Glad you brought it up because it's scary. Also I should point out that when I googled to find the article again, I typed in "there are now more slaves in the world" and it asked me if I meant to type "there are no more slaves in the world". Hmph.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4173

And this is before we take into account the appalling working conditions that, while not slavery by definition, do not exactly fall under the definition of 'freedom'.

It's also why I think it's important to emphasise the distinction.

People trafficked into slavery are almost always children, both boys and girls, and they are often expected to fulfil whatever needs their owners wish.

Black slaves in the US were regularly raped, but that didn't make them prostitutes. They were raped. Even if they had something that might have looked less like rape, they were still pieces of property and not girlfriends or mistresses or whatever you wanna use.

Yes, sex trafficking is fucking horrible and one of the worst things I could ever imagine, but too much conflation of the sex trade with trafficking ignores what trafficking is and what slavery actually is. And ends up skewing a very broad issue toward one part of the issue.

It allows us to focus on the sex element rather than the idea that we live in a world where we still tolerate slavery, so long as it's not us.

I got kinda interested in this stuff when me and the missus lived very near where much of the street prostitution goes down (sorry). Rather than debating it I'll tell a story.

We were on the way home one night, walking up towards baggot street bridge and when we saw a woman standing on the street. The missus nudges me and gestures. I know she means "i think that's a prostitute" (spotting them became a bit of a hobby). We keep walking, and yer wan is saying "sketch" at some bushes. She walks off. As we're passing the bushes in front of that bord failte building there are voices coming from it. A male voice says "no way! that's not bleedin ten minutes".

true story.

true story.

let me recount my only intimate encounter with a proz. quite a few years ago now when i was still just a teen i was walking down the dock road in limerick and i stepped between two cars to cross the street. what did i see there hunkered down between the cars but an ageing prostitute taking a piss. instead of saying "feck off" or "wait, hang on, im pissing" she let out a really loud totally blood curdling screech that frightened the wits out of me. there.

let me recount my only intimate encounter with a proz. quite a few years ago now when i was still just a teen i was walking down the dock road in limerick and i stepped between two cars to cross the street. what did i see there hunkered down between the cars but an ageing prostitute taking a piss. instead of saying "feck off" or "wait, hang on, im pissing" she let out a really loud totally blood curdling screech that frightened the wits out of me. there.

witch.jpg

There's work off a street around the corner from me - i have to go through it to get into town/work. It has been quiet recently but on the way home from work this evening the police were driving around and the women were being moved about etc.

I always mull over my position on the game when I see the women out working but if i oppose it and don't do anything about it i'm a hypocrite and if i don't care how can I feel bad about it when i see the pick-ups/drop-offs etc....

The police have put cameras around some of the red light areas of Dublin, apparently they show pics of the Johns cars on a site as a deterrent.

The sex workers union ( www.iusw.org ) have been lobbing for changes in legislation for a while now, to protect workers and legalise their trade and run fundraising events to help stop human trafficing. they also want to have traning (it is a skills based job) and re-traning for anyone who wishes to leave the industry.
They seem quite civilised and unexploited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back