"Pro-Lifers" (2 Viewers)

Just passed the GPO on the bus and there's a youth defence crew with a table set up and all the usual stuff.

Standing beside them there's a solitary protester holding a "trust me with a baby but not with a choice" sign.

Maybe go stand with her if you're in the area and have some time?

His byline headshot is great

S0-CollateralImage-R3461-john-waters.jpg

What I find odd is the morning after pill is easily available here yet in the states, no way you'd get that over the counter at a chemist. Why does one not need a prescription for that but they do for birth control pills? Completely backwards.

Birth control pills can cause cardiac/vascular problems with long-term use so you are supposed to be checked by your doctor every 3-6 months or so. Hence it's on prescription so you're forced to go back to the doctor to be checked.

And back on topic, saw a bunch of these guys outside RTE yesterday (the guy holding the placard is a protester, think the other one was trying to figure out what the whole thing was about). Other placards were about abortion, the antichrist, etc.
9097708777_91582f0812_z.jpg

Birth control pills can cause cardiac/vascular problems with long-term use so you are supposed to be checked by your doctor every 3-6 months or so. Hence it's on prescription so you're forced to go back to the doctor to be checked.

The morning after pill is concentrated birth control and can cause serious side effects, not unlike long term use. What I meant is, in a country where abortion is illegal they readily make available the morning after pill with no red tape. Whereas in the states, you'd never get that from a chemist, you'd need to go to a clinic or healthcare provider. I'm just surprised no one is protesting the chemists in Dublin that provide the morning after pill.

There was always protesters outside the family planning clinic on Cathal Brugha Street. But I don't know if that was just because they were giving out the morning after pill.

I saw a pic of him in some tweet a good while back. I'm pretty sure hes there all the time and is protesting about RTE showing films with boobs and pre-marital sex in them. As opposed to be anything to do with the abortion discussion. Though I'm sure he has 'strong' opinions about that too.

I've known a fair few women who've got the boat to england. I wasn't 'involved' - other than financially - but i know in every case they've had to come back and deal with it under a complete enforced veil of secrecy - even to the point where only 2-3 people even knew they left the country. Their mothers and sisters don't even know.

Fact of the matter is that we probably all know somone like this, wether they feel they can speak about it to us or not.

Any pro-lifer who is dealing with this reality as something that they have to incorporate into their belief system i'm ok with. Anyone who wants to continue to bully society out of facing reality really is a detriment to humanity in this country.

Any pro-lifer who is dealing with this reality as something that they have to incorporate into their belief system i'm ok with. Anyone who wants to continue to bully society out of facing reality really is a detriment to humanity in this country.

one thing they are really good at (and the catholic church is probably the biggest culprit) is confusing the hell out of people as regards what this legislation actually is/contains/means. I get the impression that the vast majority of pro-lifers think this legislation brings in 'free-for-all' abortion. That there are no caveats, etc. Hence the inflated craziness.

I've known a fair few women who've got the boat to england. I wasn't 'involved' - other than financially - but i know in every case they've had to come back and deal with it under a complete enforced veil of secrecy - even to the point where only 2-3 people even knew they left the country. Their mothers and sisters don't even know.

Fact of the matter is that we probably all know somone like this, wether they feel they can speak about it to us or not.

That's the definition of pro-life.

edit: er, that might have been your point. Carry on : |

one thing they are really good at (and the catholic church is probably the biggest culprit) is confusing the hell out of people as regards what this legislation actually is/contains/means.

A few months ago i spotted a girl i know on fb (not one of my 'girlfriends') commenting on the youth defence page. Being a journalist and all that, i had to read it - it basically said:

"i lost a little girl in a miscarriage last year, abortions should never be legal"

I've no idea where to start with that, but i get the impression that at tough time in her life, she was given a lot of bullshit information.

Peter Matthews was on Vincent Brown last week and before I was forced to turn off the telly lest his bullshit cause me to throw my remote at it he said that a number of women he knows have come to him and told him of their regrets at having had an abortion which I found really hard to believe. I'm sure I must know a number of people who have had them but I only know for certain of one woman who has. For him to imply that guilt-racked women unburdening themselves to him, an older conservative pro-life person, is a thing that happens, I don't buy it.

Not saying that women should go around telling me their detailed medical histories that aren't my business, it's just that I would think that someone of my age profile and in my peer group would be more likely to be in posession of that knowledge about people than him.

I hate that point about knowing women who have had abortions and regretted it, even if it were true and they did regret having one that is not a case for not allowing other people have one. You makes your choice and if you make the wrong choice for you then you have to deal with it.

I think the most ironic thing of all is the term 'pro-life'. In the context of this debate its actuall the pro-choice who are 'pro-life', given the medical considerations the legislation is intended to address.

The bill isn't passed = women may die
The bill is passed = women won't die

I hate that point about knowing women who have had abortions and regretted it, even if it were true and they did regret having one that is not a case for not allowing other people have one. You makes your choice and if you make the wrong choice for you then you have to deal with it.

it's really a personal matter for those that are in such a difficult position.
as a male, i'm not going to be in a position to fully understand what a woman in that position is going through. i am not in the position to make the decision so why should i try to enforce my morality on others?

it's an excellent point by unicorn concerning peter matthews and a very good addendum by scutter.

hi. i am looking for a loan.
did you ever have an abortion?
yes
did you regret it?
no
loan denied
i mean not at first but i do now
loan granted

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back