"Pro-Lifers" (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
regardless the rights and wrongs of this debate, are these people right in the head at all?

they seem a bunch of absolute screwballs. Reading the letters in the Irish Times today lots are complaining about these nutjobs and the shit they do be getting up to.

the one about protesting at a primary school with pictures of dead babies on their placards.

Are they the Irish equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I'm not too well-informed on the specifics of what this law is, but it seems good to me. Even if I didn't agree with its contents I reckon I'd still be all for it, just because I couldn't ever bring myself to agree with something those fucking neaderthals are purporting to support.

pricks.

images

pro-lifers believe that abortion is murder. in that sense, they are morally obliged to protest against it; in the same way that if i thought the government were slackening the law on rape, i would be morally obliged to protest.

you may not agree with their reasons for their belief, but it's generally a sincerely held belief.

I put my foot in my mouth (yet again) during dinner on Sunday, "Reading the bible doesn't make you a good person." I know this dude who seems so worldly and well read that I forget he has beliefs that astound me for an intelligent person. I could sit an argue with him but I know any point I make, he'll counterpoint and neither of us will budge. I've chosen just to agree to disagree and not speak politics/religion with this person. I've done the same with my family. Maybe not the most proactive approach but it allows me to remain sane.

pro-lifers believe that abortion is murder. in that sense, they are morally obliged to protest against it; in the same way that if i thought the government were slackening the law on rape, i would be morally obliged to protest.

you may not agree with their reasons for their belief, but it's generally a sincerely held belief.
right, which is why I said this bit;

I said:
regardless the rights and wrongs of this debate

I'm not talking about the specifics of the debate. I'm talking about their methods and their utter fanaticism in how they express their beliefs. Its kind of scary shit really.

well, picketing politician's houses is deliberately intimidatory and quite sinister. if they want to protest on o'connell street, i've no major issue with that, with the caveat that i do understand it can be upsetting for some passersby.

well, picketing politician's houses is deliberately intimidatory and quite sinister. if they want to protest on o'connell street, i've no major issue with that, with the caveat that i do understand it can be upsetting for some passersby.

that protest wasn't actually pro lifers, it was a fathers rights group.

The letter in the IT today though speculated that maybe their tactics are doing themselves more harm than good.....so let them crack on at it, I say.

The letter in the IT today though speculated that maybe their tactics are doing themselves more harm than good.....so let them crack on at it, I say.
well the law looks like its gonna be passed regardless. I'd fear they're going to do some real harm to someone. Like someone said, there'll be bombings of clinics, or intimidation of doctors/politicians and I don't see how that can ever been good.

I remember going by a family planning clinic in California a few years back. It was close to my company's office over there. There were always 2 people kneeling down outside it, facing the building, with placards, as if praying or whatever. Anyway I read a couple of years later where something mad happened. Either someone was shot dead or the building burned down. Something unpleasant either way.

well the law looks like its gonna be passed regardless. I'd fear they're going to do some real harm to someone. Like someone said, there'll be bombings of clinics, or intimidation of doctors/politicians and I don't see how that can ever been good.

I remember going by a family planning clinic in California a few years back. It was close to my company's office over there. There were always 2 people kneeling down outside it, facing the building, with placards, as if praying or whatever. Anyway I read a couple of years later where something mad happened. Either someone was shot dead or the building burned down. Something unpleasant either way.

Yeah, that's true. I was being flippant.

Wiki has a list of anti-abortion violence in the US over the last few decades. There's definitely some of the pro-lifers here who seem unhinged enough to do something violent.

After we "broke free" of the Catholic church in the last while, I actually thought Irish people were nowadays quite a sane, sceptical lot who could see bullshit when they detect it. The Quinn rallys and now this pro-life campaign of terror has made me think otherwise. It's quite scary.

By law they have to maintain a certain distance but it's still too close. A lot of those clinics provide low cost health care for women, so not everyone going in is there for an abortion. Most are going for check ups or getting birth control, which I suppose to some are still abortions. Having walked in to quite a few as a broke student, it's horrific. What I find odd is the morning after pill is easily available here yet in the states, no way you'd get that over the counter at a chemist. Why does one not need a prescription for that but they do for birth control pills? Completely backwards.

The problem with arguing with them, if you are foolish enough to attempt it, is that you have to laboriously fact-check every single sentence they say to see what information has been deliberately over-exaggerated, conflated with other information, taken from long discredited research or is straight out lies.

The dishonesty of it all would be enough to send God into a vengeful tantrum.

Oh, it's already started.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/threat-to-burn-ministers-home-over-abortion-bill-29355428.html

with complaints recently in the Dail that one TD had been threatened with having their throat slit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back