Police officer dies in Italian soccer riot (2 Viewers)

Much like Northern Ireland is misrepresented in the English press, Nottingham has a reputation that doesn't really tally with reality. Having said that, there was a shooting in our local a couple of weekends ago. Best bit was, the gunman shot himself in the knee trying to get the gun out of his trousers - no lie ahahahaha.

It doesn't sound like my idea of fun. I'd imagine not more than a 2 at best. To each his/her own I guess.

You must love and trust the "law" then and you most probably have never been harrased,beaten up and got yer house raided and destroyed by the "law"....to some people destroying something or someone of the "law" will be the best moment of their lives.

You must love and trust the "law" then and you most probably have never been harrased,beaten up and got yer house raided and destroyed by the "law"....to some people destroying something or someone of the "law" will be the best moment of their lives.

No, I haven't ben harrassed, beaten up or had my house raided, but as I said earlier I have not actively sought any kind of confrontation with 'the law' - I find that if I leave them alone they do the same for me.

It doesn't follow from my having respect for the lives of those working to uphold law and order that I agree 100% with the law... there are some laws that are nothing short of rediculuous. But that does not change the fact that without the uniform they are human beings with as much right to life as you or me.

No, I haven't ben harrassed, beaten up or had my house raided, but as I said earlier I have not actively sought any kind of confrontation with 'the law' - I find that if I leave them alone they do the same for me.

It doesn't follow from my having respect for the lives of those working to uphold law and order that I agree 100% with the law... there are some laws that are nothing short of rediculuous. But that does not change the fact that without the uniform they are human beings with as much right to life as you or me.

Last time i was harrased was on friday night by a drunken big fucking pig who didn't like the fact that i was wearing a cap so he came up to me,showed me his badge and led me outside with his fellow officers,only reason why i didn't get beaten up was cause i legged it as soon as i hit the door....this is jst one example for you how the"officers if the law woth or wothout the uniform" will harrass inoccents jst cause they can and will get away with it.

I don't doubt that people have been harrassed by the police, and my dealings with the gardai haven't necessarily been positive ones, but there's a difference between knowing that the gardai are ineffectual and that there are corrupt people, and actually believing that killing them is okay, or even feeling happy if someone dies. I don't believe all cops are arseholes, and I've known some really good ones, too. In fact, if more decent people became cops, there'd be proporionately fewer crappy cops.

I never met my grandfather, and we don't know a lot of the details of his death, only that he was working as a sherrif in Arizona when he was murdered. The case is, as far as I know, still unsolved, but they think he was killed by a hitchhiker. He was a philanderer and even my dad barely knew him, but he didn't deserve to die a horrible violent death because he was a fucking human being.

I can understand an anti-authoritarian attitude, and I would question authority and condone that, but violence just breeds more violence, and a cop is a human being, too. Even a horribly corrupt, rotten fucker is still a human being. You don't have to like them. But you've no right to kill them.

Squiggle, this might help understand where some of us are coming from - http://www.infoshop.org/iportal/cops.php .

Jane, I can understand what you're saying, but I just have no sympathy for someone who joins the force and puts themselves in that position. And I certainly don't agree that 'if more decent people became cops, there'd be proporionately fewer crappy cops' - the nature of the job changes them; some might have joined to protect the community or whatever but then end up arresting people for ludicrous things just to keep their tally up. I've got a book called 'Bent Cop' where a surprising amount admit this in interview. There's been far too much deaths in custody, abuse of power, oppression of minorities - not to mention their main role as boot boys/girls of the state - for me to shed any tears when I hear of one's misfortune, the same way I wouldn't feel sorry for a nazi or a paedophile. I don't actually wish all of them dead, that was a mixture of banter and trying to wind up the Lifestyle lurkers, but I do wish they didn't exist and I have no qualms about undermining them in any way possible.

Squiggle, this might help understand where some of us are coming from - http://www.infoshop.org/iportal/cops.php .

Jane, I can understand what you're saying, but I just have no sympathy for someone who joins the force and puts themselves in that position. And I certainly don't agree that 'if more decent people became cops, there'd be proporionately fewer crappy cops' - the nature of the job changes them; some might have joined to protect the community or whatever but then end up arresting people for ludicrous things just to keep their tally up. I've got a book called 'Bent Cop' where a surprising amount admit this in interview. There's been far too much deaths in custody, abuse of power, oppression of minorities - not to mention their main role as boot boys/girls of the state - for me to shed any tears when I hear of one's misfortune, the same way I wouldn't feel sorry for a nazi or a paedophile. I don't actually wish all of them dead, that was a mixture of banter and trying to wind up the Lifestyle lurkers, but I do wish they didn't exist and I have no qualms about undermining them in any way possible.

So you applaud the murder of a member of my family? Some cunt who deprived both me and my brother of ever meeting our paternal grandfather, because he/she serves your political agenda? Because -- regardless of the situation -- the murder of a cop for any reason just increases your tally? How is that any different from what corrupt cops do?

What do you propose replaces policing as we know it? I think many of us -- and many police, too -- would agree that the way policing works right now is totally ineffectual. Crime isn't being deterred. Time and resources are being wasted on things that shouldn't even be treated as serious crimes. Victim support is terrible. The conviction rate for sexual assault is so low that rape is effectively legal, while minor drug offences or disturbing the peace or whatever, are sometimes prosecuted like they are the most terrible things in the world. There are cops out there who couldn't give a toss about public safety, and they shouldn't be on the job -- period. Lots and lots of people will agree with these things, and I don't think there's a single person in IReland who doesn't think that policing needs an overhaul. So why just undermine what's there because you read a book where a cop said all cops were corrupt?

Have you ever thought about finding a way to participate in the process of community policing? Have you ever written to your councillor or TD, with suggestions rather than just criticisms? Or do you consider it more productive to just throw burning bricks through the window of the copshop, and suggest that somehow the hitchhiker who murdered my grandfather was performing a public service? The fact is, we have no idea if his murder had anything at all with him being a cop. We're not even 100% sure he was one -- that's how little we know about him. In a weird way, the whole thing feels very distant from me, but every so often, I do get a bit angry that some murderer deprived me of a chance to meet my grandfather. He may well have been a knob. I've no idea, but at least I'd have had a chance to decide, like. In fact, the whole 'yay, a cop died' is jsut so ridiculous I can't even get pissed off about it. It's just mental.

From what I can gather, that website attributes most crime to capitalism. It also suggests that the Police's raison d'etre is the protection of capital interests. While that may have a ring of truth to it as a theory, it doesn't really address what people can do, as victims of crime, to stop it. What's the alternative to police? Pragmatically like. For example, if someone is getting battered and they want it to stop or a witness wants it to stop, who intervenes? I'm genuinely interested in this Malarky dude, not trying to catch you out or anything. (And for the record, I am also inherently distrustful of both capitalism and the police).

So you applaud the murder of a member of my family? Some cunt who deprived both me and my brother of ever meeting our paternal grandfather, because he/she serves your political agenda? Because -- regardless of the situation -- the murder of a cop for any reason just increases your tally? How is that any different from what corrupt cops do?
malachy specifically said that he doesn't wish all cops dead, and never said anything even vaguely along the lines of applauding their murder or having a tally.

Crime is a very broad term. Smoking cannabis is a crime, sexual assault is also a crime but they are by no means the same thing. The police serve as protectors of the state primarily, I would argue, and maintainers of the status quo. Depending upon where you live in the world, and what your social status or position is, they can be interpreted as crime stoppers, keepers of the peace, servants of the community or forces of oppression, guardians of the power elite etc.

Power is corrupting, see the stanford prison experiment as an example. Put a uniform on someone, give them a stick and they may even surprise themselves as to how malevolent they can become. Take nazi Germany as another example if you're not convinced.

Not sure if this ties in with the original title of the thread, just read these terms being used and wanted to add a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back