playlist time again... (3 Viewers)

this week:

Portraits Of Past mp3s - the best, jamie f told me so and for once he was right
Ten Past Seven - live
The Redneck Manifesto - live
The sounds coming from eds room - he dictates most of my aural intake
The riffs in my head - why dont they sound as good when i try to play them on guitar?

is anyone into jazz..? i would really like to investigate but dont know where to start.. i am hot for hearing the mad shit, like the crazy bass/drums stuff thats fast and has crazy timings all over the place.. not the laid back snooze-y stuff anyway.. recommendations?

damien said:
is anyone into jazz..? i would really like to investigate but dont know where to start.. i am hot for hearing the mad shit, like the crazy bass/drums stuff thats fast and has crazy timings all over the place.. not the laid back snooze-y stuff anyway.. recommendations?
Yeah, I'm on the same buzz at the moment.From what little I know, i would reccomend Albert Ayler,Sun Ra,and..errmmm..well,that's about it really.Loads of screaming saxes and stuff.bring the noise.some JohnZorn stuff is good, I only have the NAked City album and some Painkiller..there's something he did that Bushie has with Dave Lombardo on drums that's real good but I can't remember the name..
I could use some pointers as well...any jazzheads out there?

you should totally start drumming again and start a pure jazz band.

i'd consider myself a jazz head, but i live about 100 miles away. and how could i flash the sign of the devil while playing jazz?

herbie hancock's good for time changes. and he did the soundtrack for Deathwish, so how could you refuse? Joshua Redman's good too, and naturally Miles Davis' "bitches brew" is a good place to start...

even though you're not really interested in the mellow stuff, you should check out Estbjorn Svennson Trio (EST), they're amazing, especially "strange place for snow"... one of the best live acts ive ever seen

damien said:
this week:

Portraits Of Past mp3s - the best, jamie f told me so and for once he was right
Ten Past Seven - live
The Redneck Manifesto - live
The sounds coming from eds room - he dictates most of my aural intake
The riffs in my head - why dont they sound as good when i try to play them on guitar?

Already been mentioned,but definetly check out Sun Ra,really nuts stuff.
The bad plus are good too.

nice choice on portraits of past,only have a 7" by them but their well good.

1905 - voice
Antisect
Easpa Measa
Ekkaia - 7"/Manos que estrechan .../new 12"
Garmonbozia
Hellshock - Only the dead ..../Consume split 7"
Iskra
Madame Germen
Void/Faith - split 12"
Wagner - Tristan und Isolde
Witchhunt - As priorities decay

the strange guy said:
Swedish
Crust
Bands
You've
Never
Heard
Of/On
Limited
Edition
Colour
Vinyl
LOL :)

Apparently 'Kont rovers' in dutch is the equivalent of 'arse bandits'. Thought you might like that Oly. :p

damien said:
definitely "bitches brew" by miles davis.
sun ra
john coltrane's avante garde stuff, basically post-1960, especially the "outer space" themed stuff

yeah, hard to know where to start, harder to know where to go next...
prepare to feel sorely inadequate*. :D

*as a musician.

damien said:

Charlie Mingus?
Ornette Coleman?

Muscle Beach said:
definitely "bitches brew" by miles davis.

Have you had a listen to the Mahavishnu Orchestra? - John McLaughlin (the guitarist on Bitches Brew) and Jan Hammer's band from the early 70s. They pretty much invented the whole jazz-rock fusion malarky. Definitely worth tracking down, as is the incredible version of A Love Supreme that McLaughlin did with Santana.

yes, but only in passing. needs proper time and consideration.

yes, charlie mingus too. got any alice coltrane? i'm particularly interested in the harp stuff she did...

Loads of screaming saxes and stuff.bring the noise.some JohnZorn stuff is good, I only have the NAked City album and some Painkiller..there's something he did that Bushie has with Dave Lombardo on drums that's real good but I can't remember the name..

needtokill.....john zorn has a jazz-metal album called spy vs spy i think(or at least thats whats on the cover)....i think that might be the one you mean

mac warzonescum said:
Charlie Mingus?
Ornette Coleman?

Have you had a listen to the Mahavishnu Orchestra? - John McLaughlin (the guitarist on Bitches Brew) and Jan Hammer's band from the early 70s. They pretty much invented the whole jazz-rock fusion malarky. Definitely worth tracking down, as is the incredible version of A Love Supreme that McLaughlin did with Santana.
John McLauglin & Shakiti - Natural Elements is really good -
Mahavishnu Orchestra`s - Bird of Fire/Inner Mountain Flame too.

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way,
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Theres fuck loads of stuff out there.

dr.easychord said:
needtokill.....john zorn has a jazz-metal album called spy vs spy i think(or at least thats whats on the cover)....i think that might be the one you mean

Spy v Spy is the John Zorn playing Ornette Coleman songs LP. Unfortunately I think it works slightly better as an idea than an actual record.

It doesn't appear to be the one Needtokill is talking about: the line up is John Zorn/Tim Berne/Mark Dresser/Joey Baron/Michael Vatcher.

Maybe its Masada he's thinking of?

Shit in that vein worth tracking down - the legendary and incredible No Age double LP comp on SST from the late 80s.

Rimbaud said:
John McLauglin & Shakiti - Natural Elements is really good -
Mahavishnu Orchestra`s - Bird of Fire/Inner Mountain Flame too.

Just about anything by the Mahavishnu Orchestra gets my recommendation, but as far as Shakti goes I've only heard a couple of tracks of comps and they didn't really grab me, but I remain open to be convinced by actually listening to the LPs.

dr.easychord said:
No, I'm aware of Spy vs Spy and it's not that.This is quite recent, last year or two..there's nowt metal about it either.If I want metal, I shall listen to metal.Not jazzman playing metal.

Mac, I don't think it's masada either.
I'll find out with this yoke I'm on about is called and post it here later.

minutemen
sweet baby
brent's tv
cleavland bound death sentence
submission hold
fifteen
la fraction
big boys
lil richard
fats dominio
billie holiday

jedi mind tricks are good,havent heard them ina while

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back