Pirate Radio (1 Viewer)

yes it is. especially these days. i used to help out with the running of freak fm in cork. the owners got busted and have a court date!

comreg are really cracking down at the moment

Not that illegal, the governing body of radio in Ireland (Broadcasting Comission of Ireland) tend to leave pirates alone for a few years then do mass amount of raids to clear em out. Your best bet is to keep it small acale. A few miles or so to start, the only way you'll get shut down quicky is if you do something stupid like start ghosting (being heard over the regular station on its own frequency) on a national station or start ghosting onto to airplane transmissions, then youu'll be shut so quickly you won't know what hit ya!

It doesn't cost that much to start one (maybe 500 quid if your good at the old soldering) if you want to know more bout the equipment needed & the physics of it I can tell ya more..

They cracked down on freak FM cos they were getting too big for their own boots and not paying anything (lisence etc) though I may be completly wrong.

Gambra said:
They cracked down on freak FM cos they were getting too big for their own boots and not paying anything (lisence etc) though I may be completly wrong.

you are definitely wrong. freak never sought publicity or gained money from advertising in the later years (and only for a brief period in 2003 did they sell advertising space). also any gigs they put on were never advertised in the local press. it was run at a loss since its inception unlike the dance pirates which brought in huge profit but as of the present remain unpunished.

the real reason they cracked down on freak was because they couldnt get to kiss.

Chad said:
you are definitely wrong. freak never sought publicity or gained money from advertising in the later years (and only for a brief period in 2003 did they sell advertising space). also any gigs they put on were never advertised in the local press. it was run at a loss since its inception unlike the dance pirates which brought in huge profit but as of the present remain unpunished.

the real reason they cracked down on freak was because they couldnt get to kiss.

Told ya I was probably wrong. Didn't know it was like that. Shows how ignorant I am. In the case of past Limerick stations, they've just been tolerated (RLO & Galtee are the two ones that spring to mind) Frankly, pirates should be just left alone, most will finish up in the end due to no money (RLO). I still want to start one though!!

AFAIK BCI shut down pirates due to repeated complaints from commercial stations.

In other trivia I reckon BCI have the largest furniture budget for any state(or is it semi state?) body. It's ridiculous the amount of really expensive furniture I've put in there and they just keep coming back for more and more. Their offices do look great though.

As Moose said. The only time they start clamping down is the "proper" stations keep complaining.

Keep the advertising out of the equation.

And have someone ready to throw the deck out the window.

:rolleyes:

I know this a very general idealistic rhetorical question but why does some body get to decide what channels get put on the airwaves? Or more to the point how is it that they can deny certain people use of the airwaves and allow the existence of FM104 and 98FM which are the same as far as I can tell - or Q102 for that matter! Roll on more digital radio, and the democratisations of 0s and 1s I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back