PHAROAHE MONCH w Jeru the Damaja in Tripod on Thurs July 19th (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
One of Hip-Hop's most gifted lyricists, is ready to reintroduce himself to a rap world crying out for genuine artists with his long-awaited album, Desire, which is out on June 22nd

TIM WESTWOOD interviews PHAROAHE MONCH

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/westwood/

POD CONCERTS presents:

PHAROAHE MONCH
Support: Jeru the Damaja
DJ Tu-Ki

Thursday July 19th

Tripod – Old Harcourt St Train Station – Dublin 2.
Doors – 7.30pm

Tickets €27.50 available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.pharoahe-monch.com/
www.myspace.com/pharoahemonch

Raised on the infamous Southside of NYC's Queens borough, a young Monch caught the Hip-Hop bug early as the culture born in the Rotten Apple. It would be while attending art school that Pharoahe would find his calling as an emcee, and eventually co-founded the rap duo Organized Konfusion. It was here that a still young Pharoahe began to display his full potential for the first time, transforming himself into a superhero emcee, painting vivid verbal pictures on cuts such as "Stray Bullet" whilst amazing listeners with his unpredictable-but-flawless flow on the jaw-dropping "Hypnotical Gases".

Monch then took the solo route via a deal with indie imprint Rawkus which yielded the classic 1999 album "Internal Affairs", which contained Monch's biggest hit to date, the crowd-pleasing "Simon Says". 2002 saw Monch showcase his diversity with his collaborations with Styles P of The Lox for "The Life" and Linkin Park for 'H! VLTG3' from the Reanimation Album. In 2003, Pharoahe teased listeners hungry for his second solo album with the futuristic Sa-Ra produced conspiracy theorist anthem, "Agent Orange". The subsequent merger of Rawkus with major label Geffen, would stall Pharoahe's career for a short time, whilst the possibility of a deal with Eminem's Shady Records further proved the high-level of respect Monch commands from his peers.

Now settled at Steve Rifkind's SRC Records, Pharoahe Monch, one of Hip-Hop's most gifted lyricists, is ready to reintroduce himself to a rap world crying out for genuine artists with his long-awaited album, Desire. At a time when a rapper's image and financial status appear to capture the attention of fans more than lyrical content and creative production, Pharoahe has refused to "dumb-down" his new project, choosing instead to adhere to the rules and principles he learnt growing-up in Hip-Hop's Golden Age - be original, be true to yourself and be as skilful as possible on the mic device. But that said; don't expect to hear Monch stuck in a time-warp on Desire. With beats from the likes of Mr. Porter (Kon-Artist of D12), The Alchemist, Detroit's Black Milk and long-time collaborator Lee Stone, the lyrical king from Queens is definitely looking to move the art form of Hip-Hop forward with this album. "I think the approach I took to making some of the songs is still underground," offers Monch when asked about the creative process behind Desire.

"But in terms of the arrangements and the song-writing, I wouldn't say it's commercial, but it's a bigger approach than I've taken in the past."

This "bigger approach" can he heard on the first single to be lifted from the new album, the self-produced "Push". With Tower Of Power featured on horns, Monch rhymes and sings his way through the gospel-tinged track in a move that may surprise some long-standing fans. "The problem with me having had something of a hiatus," states Monch, "is that people haven't been hearing my growth as an artist. So it might sound like I'm going in a completely new direction, but that's something I've been working towards for sometime. From Organized Konfusion to "The Life" with Styles P to now, it's all been a natural progression."

Aside from lyrics about politics, love, sex and survival in the modern world, it's the sheer sonic scale of Desire that's impressive. There's a cinematic quality to the music, with the album's central theme developed through a series of dramatic interludes linking tracks together. Full of powerful and larger-than-life imagery, the self-produced "Body Baby", a clear ode to Elvis and Tom Jones, is the album's most daring record. From the first note, the record commands your attention. Always looking to push his visionary talents in various directions, Pharoahe has been working on a short on-line campaign film to accompany the graphic song, "When the Gun Draws". Despite these grandiose themes Desire remains down-to-earth and universally relatable.

A testament to Monch's determination to create extraordinary music to be enjoyed by ordinary people. "I just think it shows a sheer disrespect towards Hip-Hop culture not to use the art form to its full capability," responds Monch when asked about his decision to craft an album that runs the gamut of human emotions. "If you suppress an idea because you think the 'hood or the chicks aren't gonna feel it that's just sad because creatively there's an unlimited number of ways to approach song-writing. But Hip-Hop is just so boxed-in right now."

Desire finds Pharoahe Monch wanting to be labeled only as an emcee and a true artist. But even if he achieves that goal and receives the mainstream critical acclaim his talent deserves, you still get the impression that Monch will never rest on his laurels.

"When you become totally satisfied and you think you've reached perfection," he ponders, "then where do you from there?"

It's that Desire to keep pushing the limits of his craft that proves why Pharoahe Monch's name will be mentioned one of the greatest emcees of all-time.

I enjoyed that J-live gig. The only problem was that his set was too long.

I enjoyed it as well, jus didnt give me a boner (god damn Edan and his amazing as fuck show!). Thought the DJ wasnt up too much tho. CHARLIE MURPHY!!!

Good oppurtunity to post two of my fave hip hop tunes ever -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this promises to be good tho. hope it gets the crowd.

here's some of the spiel, on Pharoah's forthcoming album... looks like he might make that big break he's been promising for years...

“A truly exceptional album” Uncut

“If you played Common and Kanye to death then you’ll wear out your iPod with Pharoah Monch” Mixmag

“Desire’ is the aural equivalent of total football” Time Out

“If you thought Amy Winehouse was the only one who could mash up the ‘60s with the noughties, think again. Like Outkast doing some sort of jitterbug dance on hot coals” NME

“Superbly orchestrated and chillingly rhymed, it eclipses anything done in the name of hip-hop this century.” SUNDAY TIMES

“(Monch) has returned with an angry, powerful and masterly solo album”
NEW YORK TIMES

“At a time when a thread of unquestioning capitalist acquiescence runs through an otherwise lively and diverse rap climate, Monch's embattled anarchism isn't just refreshing, it's inspiring.” PITCHFORK MEDIA

“As the album rolls, it’s clear few can match the former Organized Konfusion rapper when it comes to rocking the mic in a razor-sharp fashion” IRISH TIMES

I hate the fact that I can never afford gigs in the second half of the month. Curse my free spending ways.

I hate the fact that I can never afford gigs in the second half of the month. Curse my free spending ways.
I'M ALL OUTTA SCRILLA TOO. FLAMING FUCKNUTS.

THIS WILL BE AMAZING. JERU WAS CALLIN' OUT P. DIDDY 11-12 YEARS AGO. HE'S NEVER FAILED TO PUT ON A QUALITY SHOW OVER HERE. ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S LOCKED. HE'S DEADLY.

MICKALPHABET MUST BE A TOTAL BENDER OR MASE FAN.

ALLAHQUAANNNDO DEAGLAN!!!

MAN.... MAROAHE PHONCH WAS FUCKIN' DEADLY..

SERIOUSLY.

WHAT A SHOW. CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S ONLY HAD THAT BAND TWO WEEKS....
LIKE OLD DIRTY AND CHUCK D OR SOMETHN' IF I WAS WRITING A REVIEW FOR SOME RAG.. AND HE GETS EXTRA LOVE FOR STICKIN' IN A RHYME WITH GINOBILI IN IT. MAANNNNUUUU!!!!

PHARAQUAAANNNNDOAHE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back