Phantom (2 Viewers)

hag said:
this sounds like it has the potential to be good. however, coming from dublin, i am sceptical. who backs phantom and where do their interests lie etc...

The Phantom bid was backed by Paul McGuinness and Dennis Desmond unfortunately... I think we can all guess at the future ramifications of that.

The only other bid of worth was backed by Geldof and Aiken...

Great choice between those two sets of backers.

Hopefully it won't end up like XFM in England - which was good for about a month before it was declared not Blink 182 enough.

Still, suppose it'll be better than nothing.

Those involved in the running of Phantom are generally hardcore music fans so hopefully they'll be able to limit the level of corporate take-over-ed-ness.

Good luck to them - it must be amazing to have finally reached this stage.

spady said:
Hopefully it won't end up like XFM in England - which was good for about a month before it was declared not Blink 182 enough.
To be fair Xfm London was great for at least six months. It wasn't a case of they 'decided' it wasn't mainstream enough. The owners decided to cash in and sell it to capital radio, who then decided to sack all the best DJ's (including a then relatively unknown Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant) and play the same 20 shit songs on rotation.

Heres hoping that Phantom is a success, without too much interferance from Mr.McGuinness and Mr.Desmond.

spady said:
The only other bid of worth was backed by Geldof and Aiken...

do you reckon if Bob's one (Zed??) had won, Geldof would have refused to take any payments in euro??

Good news for the phantom people who have been there for ages - well done them, especially simon who seems like a really decent chap.

However, its only now that the real work will begin. i really, really hope it works for them but if it doesnt, dont be surprised if the "suits" onboard (MCD, Principle Management etc) start to have their say and we end up with a Spin-FM for indie kids (i dont even want to imagine what that would sound like) with the original phantomeers hacked out of the picture.

still, for now, lets accentuate the positive. Go Phantom!

I reckon it'll end up being Rubyworks FM.Still.. it's a lot better than most stations. Why doesn't Jazz FM get a licence?

Gong Farmer said:
I reckon it'll end up being Rubyworks FM.Still.. it's a lot better than most stations. Why doesn't Jazz FM get a licence?
jazz fm is the only station i can actually listen too. all the rest are crapola. what does Flashback = AIDS mean????????

hag said:
jazz fm is the only station i can actually listen too. all the rest are crapola. what does Flashback = AIDS mean????????
Em.... nothing. *Crosses legs*

i'm all for being positive... but in a country where record label executives sit on the board of the arts council etc. etc. yadda yawn.
you can bet your life phantom will change beyond recognition within a year.
but for now, YAY!!! anyone order any clowns?

1411.jpg

Pilchard said:
still, for now, lets accentuate the positive. Go Phantom!

hag said:
you can bet your life phantom will change beyond recognition within a year.
i dunno man, i'd say they'll have some very good shows in the evenings and probably play the commercial rock (like the corpo stuff ;) ) during the day

either way they seem really really dedicated to irish music which can only be good for the folk who post here.

Pilchard said:
with the original phantomeers hacked out of the picture.
I would hope that they've had the sense to prevent that upfront. They've plenty of experience operating in an unfriendly environment, it should stand to them when dealing with the Money-Men-Posing-As-Friends

Pity they've lost so many of their best djs to the nationals. Pete Reed if you're reading - some of your djs are damn poor (I don't have the balls to name names in public, but the headwrecking shouters and the failed comedians, you know who they are), no need to resist the Money-Mens' pressure to ditch them

egg_ said:
Pete Reed if you're reading - some of your djs are damn poor (I don't have the balls to name names in public, but the headwrecking shouters and the failed comedians, you know who they are), no need to resist the Money-Mens' pressure to ditch them
Absolutely ... I wont name names 'cos I dont know their names but they tended to be on during the day (drivetime!), talk a huge load of crap, and be intensely annoying. Get rid of those assholes and keep the good Phantom DJs ... the ones who dont sound like they're auditioning for some horrible mid-atlantic tossers chart show

Anyway I think it's deadly Phantom have the licence .. well deserved

moc said:
i dunno man, i'd say they'll have some very good shows in the evenings and probably play the commercial rock (like the corpo stuff ;) ) during the day

either way they seem really really dedicated to irish music which can only be good for the folk who post here.
yeah, if it can retain it's integrity... tic tic tic...

moc said:
just let pearl do all the shows :)
yes, she's really good. And the guy on before her, Cathal ... not that I was ever up that early ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back