Phantom (4 Viewers)

Robbie Analog said:
It wasn't a case of they 'decided' it wasn't mainstream enough. The owners decided to cash in and sell it to capital radio.

I didn't mean it literally. But the Blink 182-ness was what ruined it thereafter.

Now, I don't know for definite, but I thought the lack of advertising revenue put pressure on them to sell on to capital dudes... and not just a simple case of a callous cash in?

ya Pearl and assorted american/canadian girls....nice soothing voices.

also...I dont think theres near enough cursing on the radio. HBO it up a little.

spady said:
Now, I don't know for definite, but I thought the lack of advertising revenue put pressure on them to sell on to capital dudes... and not just a simple case of a callous cash in?
Yeah I think you are right, was just being a little flippant. I had a lot of friends involved in the fight to try and 'save xfm', didn't work. One of them is now the chairman of AFC Wimbledon though, which is cool.

Robbie Analog said:
Yeah I think you are right, was just being a little flippant. I had a lot of friends involved in the fight to try and 'save xfm', didn't work. One of them is now the chairman of AFC Wimbledon though, which is cool.

It was so cool at the beginning - got me through the very few rainy days (after Glastonbury of course) of that summer in my little parky hut off Chepstow Road.

spady said:
It was so cool at the beginning - got me through the very few rainy days (after Glastonbury of course) of that summer in my little parky hut off Chepstow Road.
Yeah at the time I was in a little office with a little radio, it was great. Gary Crowley playing Kick out the Jamms as the first ever song on legal Xfm. And all those free gigs the first week, ahh the memories....

Robbie Analog said:
Yeah at the time I was in a little office with a little radio, it was great. Gary Crowley playing Kick out the Jamms as the first ever song on legal Xfm. And all those free gigs the first week, ahh the memories....

For some reason, I remember some band called Radish being on it. They were like 15 and their musical talent centered on giving Nirvana songs a sparkling rimjob while no-one was looking (also see Silverchair).... and freakily enough Nirvana just came on the telly.... Radish will probably be next I'd imagine.

Hello all,

Just a quick post to say thanks to all for the comments and to others for the texts and emails and the like.

Really great bit of news, and we are still in shock.

And youre absolutely right, the hard work starts from here. At least though, we finally have the opportunity to do the hard work without the risk of ComReg kicking in the door or midnight on Sunday arriving and us having to switch off again.

Plan isnt to be any more a shower of sell out bastards than we are already (although I cant rule out Harvey Norman ads) but being there permanently gives us the chance to do so much more in relation to gigs, promo-ing new releases and all that stuff. Even outside of our own desire to pursue the format, the thing which will help protect Phantom from going more commercial is that it will be a small operation. The relevance of this is that if as a small operator we move to the "middle ground", then we will be feckin hammered by the FM104s and 98FMs of this world and not survive at all. Phantom can only survive by being different.

We'll do our best on the programming, we'll do our best on the presenters and all that stuff. And most of all we will do our best with the music. Met quite a few of those long haired musician types at our party last night and it was class to be able to talk about having an actual outlet for their music, even in the daytime!

This became a long rambling post I know, but just wanted to explain a few bits and say thanks.

Cheers,

Pete Reed/Simon
Phantom FM
[email protected]

spady said:
For some reason, I remember some band called Radish being on it. They were like 15 and their musical talent centered on giving Nirvana songs a sparkling rimjob while no-one was looking (also see Silverchair).... and freakily enough Nirvana just came on the telly.... Radish will probably be next I'd imagine.

yeah they were crap. Ben kweller is well worth checking out though.

Pete Reed said:
the thing which will help protect Phantom from going more commercial is that it will be a small operation. The relevance of this is that if as a small operator we move to the "middle ground", then we will be feckin hammered by the FM104s and 98FMs of this world and not survive at all. Phantom can only survive by being different.
Wise words Pete Reed
IMHO your best presenters are Cathal and Pearl. I'd love to hear Pearl back on Sunday morns though I'd like to see Cathal get a more prominent spot than he had during the weekend licence period
If I was you I'd take a listen to xfm (the Irish one) and consider poaching a few people from there - maybe too leftfield for daytime but they're good presenters and they'll appeal to the older end of your market

egg_ said:
Pete Reed if you're reading - some of your djs are damn poor (I don't have the balls to name names in public, but the headwrecking shouters and the failed comedians, you know who they are),

IMHO your best presenters are Cathal and Pearl.
Wise words egg

I remember hearing Cathal interview James Yorkson during his original drive time slot (which he should get back - 5 to 7?) and I was blown away by how professional it was. 'Knowledgable interviewer allowing interviewee answer questions' - shocker! Tuned in every evening from then until he lost the slot. Really think he could get a serious listenership if he was put back in there. Great tunes too.

And Pearl would be my most regular tune in ...

I don't envy the job of selecting who is now going to be a DJ and who is not but I am sure Pete and co have a fair idea who needs to shine and who needs to take a step back from the mic. Some of the types you mentioned above give me the fear too _egg !! ;)

Pete pleeeeaese try and head hunt Donal Dineen. I know he wants to work for national radio (being from kerry and all) but just imagine donal back to 9-12 slot. I think this is not as mad as it sounds.

looking forward to it all though...

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back