Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (1 Viewer)

egg_ said:
All I ever wanted to be was cool, so I became obscure
... and you know what, I'm still not cool. Fuck this

the wisest words of all

were said by a very gay man to me, Rumpus and Snaky

at a party in Kirsites old house

and I quote

"I used to be indie like you, ...but now I'm fabulous!"

and before anyone even thinks about that MY album title!

but like lads, I don't think alex is being very fair to the caca regarding their fanbase - loads of jazz wankers like them too.

cue drum roll

billygannon said:
I think the Jimmy Cake and Morello should merge to create synergies and improve efficiencies. etc.
Billy, you are a genius :D

The Chilli King said:
I just don't like the implication that 'weird' bands make 'strange' music for 'weird' people because it makes them cool and obscure.

It's pretty obvious that Alex plays the type of music he does because he loves playing it. Why should that be different for anyone else with different tastes.
There's a misunderstanding here... and maybe more than one :)

When I said "normal" I didn't mean that who listens to alt stuff is weird, not at all! I meant not-indie people, those who like good music but listen to more conventional stuff. Also, the weird=cool does not apply to all indie bands: I'm positive there's bands who play this sort of music because they love it but I'm 100% sure that many other bands do it just to be cool and this, to be honest, pisses me off.

Pantone247 said:
About as hypocritical as telling everyone on a indie/alternative/whatever music board about the great article you were involved in wiritng about big bad pay to play gigs, but failing to mention the interview on the same site, where you slam bands and styles of music that the same people you're bragging to play, enjoy, know personally and work hard to keep going (and not for financial gain, record deals or "coolness", simply for the love of doing it).

But hey, thats just my opinion! I've no beef with anyone here
Here, if this is what you think you can just fuck off. I'm not a hypocrite and I never EVER praised a band that I don't like. If I posted the link to the interview here, nobody would have actually paid attention to the Pay-to-play thing (as it actually happened now that you brought this up) and I thought it was more important.

Also, if you bother to read the interview, you'll find that there's no negative comment whatsoever about the bands here and their music. I mentioned the Jimmy Cake only as an example of successful indie band, that's it. All that I said is that this kind of music is not for everybody and Darren said he doesn't like it and would like to hear more rock... so fucking what? Is this a crime?!?

You are the hypocrite because when I was asking people to be nice on this board (and don't say other bands are shit) you wrecked my head with your everybody-has-the-right-to-an-opinion bullshit. And now you blame me coz I expressed mine

Prick.

Why the fuck does anyone care?

It's Alex's opinion & he's entitled to it.

You can't all put your music out there and then bitch & moan when someone says they don't like it.

Be strong people ........sniff....... sniff :D

Vinnie said:
And let's not forget the classical cunts. They think we're amazing.

"Jimmy Cake ist rad! Das ist freedum musique-rock" as Beethoven once said.

Who's better? Oasis or Blur?

Vinnie said:
I am thinking Blurs music is fabulouser but Oasis is the fighting band and that is gooder in my brains.

I dunno...
I liked Iraq's earlier stuff... but they've gone too experimental.
The USA are not bad, but pretty predictable.

I've always hated Chip-Ites. Whizz-Kids are where it's at.

Take it easy, kids... It's a guy who likes rock voicing his opinion on a predominantly indie scene. What do you expect?

I agree with him that a lot of the Dublin music scene is "indier than thou". Throw in some singer songwriters, and that's it. Bands that kids who like Good Charlotte (God beware, but just imagine) could enjoy are few and far between. Or in other words: Too many bands where the audience talking drowns out the music.

I think it's great how the scene works together on many occasions and is out to promote music that is not your standard pop fare, but in the end there is a tendency for the other extreme of music where indie means you cannot dislike the local heroes without falling from grace and anyone sounding remotely commercial is clearly selling out.

Ahhh yesss. Alex, you pleeaase mee. Spreading consternation and lies - the puny indie-humanns do not knoww where to turn! Our day will come soon, my disciple.

Pantone247 said:
About as hypocritical as telling everyone on a indie/alternative/whatever music board about the great article you were involved in wiritng about big bad pay to play gigs, but failing to mention the interview on the same site, where you slam bands and styles of music that the same people you're bragging to play, enjoy, know personally and work hard to keep going (and not for financial gain, record deals or "coolness", simply for the love of doing it).

But hey, thats just my opinion! I've no beef with anyone here

I don’t think the article on pay-to-play is related to what Alex said in the interview. It’s kinda sad that people are jumping down his throat for not liking The Jimmy Cake. I’m sure most people have bands they don’t like, and just because a lot of people on Thumped are mates with The Jimmy Cake, or are in The Jimmy Cake doesn’t make Alex’s opinion any less valid than someone who thinks The Jimmy Cake are fantastic. I think it’s great that Morello aren’t back slapping folks to get support slots (which, like it or not happens a lot) and trying to appease the clique which everyone claims doesn’t exist, but came out in force today. Not liking a band, or criticising a band doesn’t make Alex or Morello bad people. I happen to disagree with his opinion about The Jimmy Cake, it doesn’t mean I’m right and he’s wrong or vice versa.

sthar said:
Take it easy, kids... It's a guy who likes rock voicing his opinion on a predominantly indie scene. What do you expect?

I agree with him that a lot of the Dublin music scene is "indier than thou". Throw in some singer songwriters, and that's it. Bands that kids who like Good Charlotte (God beware, but just imagine) could enjoy are few and far between. Or in other words: Too many bands where the audience talking drowns out the music.

I think it's great how the scene works together on many occasions and is out to promote music that is not your standard pop fare, but in the end there is a tendency for the other extreme of music where indie means you cannot dislike the local heroes without falling from grace and anyone sounding remotely commercial is clearly selling out.

surely indie refers to an attitude not a specific sound or genre? attitude, as in D.I.Y. seems to be whats bonds all the contributors to thumped together. Knowledge, willingness to share experience and the initiative to get off yr asses and do things cause nobody's gonna do it for ye (putting on gigs, recording at home, pressing cd's etc).

the commercial vs. selling out debate depends on you play or make or listen to music. motivation is the key.

i didn't really get yr last point but it made me think:

this is reland so local heroes are to be praised with one side of yr mouth while begrudged with the other, leavin one hand free to slap their backs and the other to get the kinfe in. what can we do? we're a schizophrenic nation with an inferiority complex when it comes to creativity...

(maybee? :confused: )

Lordy lordy. This is the only serious post I'm going to make on the is topic because it's quite frankly, very very boring. Just like me.

I don't care who likes, hates, wants to kill or fuck The Jimmy Cake. Well, maybe I care if somone wants to fuck. Are they good looking? So very lonely.

Anyhoo, what the hell am I talking about? Oh yeah. And another thing who ever said that is fucking dead. Oh who am I kidding. How can I stay mad at you. Come here you!

I hope The Jimmy Cake die in a helicopter crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back