Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (2 Viewers)

Alex said:
Hop, if you think the Cakes aren't a niche band, then I guess you are a bit narrow minded. Bands like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Guns and Roses appeal to bigger audiences and you cant deny this.

I really think that if there were more bands playing more "accessible" music, then much more people would go to gigs and this would help the scene. I believe there's no bands playing this stuff in Dublin because musicians are afraid to be labelled as sell out, etc. like it's happening to Morello here, even though we're as indie as everybody else here because we're doing everything ourselves.

This was my point and this only. I didn't raise all this mess

Guns N Roses were cool in 1989. its now 2003.
Obviously the audience size is the barometer by which music is to be judged.
what the hell is "accessible music"?
covers?
stereophonics/travis/thrills imitators?

wha? :confused:

enchance said:
Doesn't a small music "scene" such as that in Dublin cater primarily for weird/alternative stuff?
Sure, how comes rock bands like Turn, The Walls (Stunning) and Therapy (just to name a few) sell out every gig then?
enchance said:
Then by my powers of deduction, we can QED this theorem. Morello isn't really designed to fit in.
Morello isn't designed full stop. And anyway... you might even be right, we'll see this soon :)

Silo, you're jumping down my throat only coz I said something un-indie, and this only renforces my opinions.... true I shouldn't have said weird=cool but unweird=uncool, this would have been more appropriate.

Anyway, got to go now coz I'm off (thanks God) and everybody here is grown enough to draw his conclusions. No need to further this thread, now it *is* boring.

spectraljanitor said:
Obviously the audience size is the baromoter by which music is to be judged.
covers?

You just don't get it do you?

..this is currently the fastest growing thread on this board - if this reaches 5 pages(with valid points made along the way), before 4:45pm - it would be dead cool....

spectraljanitor said:
Obviously the audience size is the barometer by which music is to be judged.
covers?

Ahem

47 HAIL TO THE THIEF RADIOHEAD PARLOPHONE
48 THE PLATINUM COLLECTION QUEEN PARLOPHONE
49 APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION GUNS N' ROSES GEFFEN
50 THE YOUNG AND THE HOPELESS GOOD CHARLOTTE EPIC
51 METEORA LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS
52 WHITE LADDER DAVID GRAY IHT
53 SINGLES COLLECTED R.E.M. EMI
54 FITZCARRALDO FRAMES ZTT

If my album was no 49 in the charts after nearly 20 years. I'd be fucking happy .........wouldn't you!!!!

Also No 1 Music DVD is

1 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN

Rock is coming back Muther fuckers!!!!! .|..|

Rimbaud said:
..this is currently the fastest growing thread on this board - if this reaches 5 pages(with valid points made along the way), before 4:45pm - it would be dead cool....

why, have you a bet going or something?

Alex said:
Sure, how comes rock bands like Turn, The Walls (Stunning) and Therapy (just to name a few) sell out every gig then?

Those bands mentioned can sell-out every gig because they have simple digestable music. Turn's recognition is undoubtably closely linked to the constant proganda Phantom spewed out. Some people like The Walls because of the Stunning's success. Although they shouldn't, The Walls are shite in comparison. I'm not too sure of the upbringing of Therapy but every crusty rock-come-metaller in Ireland will come out to see them.

Vinnie said:
Not at all. Anyone want to come over for a face washing party tonight? So very very lonely.

I would like a face-washing party. I give good face.

Jimmy Cake and Morello in a face-off?

billygannon said:
Yeah... they played Ballroom #10 with Stoat, Boxes and Kevin O'Rourke (who's song for the Ballroom is my favourite Ballroom song - I think)

Oh my god. Billy just voiced an opinion! Quick everyone get him. If we read into what he's actually saying he means "Kevin O'Rourke (who's song for the Ballroom is my favourite Ballroom song - I think, beacuse all the other bands that have played the ballroom are total shite and their songs suck and they don't deserve a place in main stream music neither )

Billy defend yourself!

i have no problem with "applecart for destruction". i wore the teeshirt when i was 14.

the point is (besides the fact that axl is a tit and is re-recording afforementioned album with session muso's to diddle the others out of royalties!) is that its insane to bring g'n'r' and the red hot bed wetters into an argument about the scene in dublin and its 'indieness' or whatever.

Alex seems to have run away without answering my question of
what the hell is an "accessible" band? Any band who play a gig and have people standing infront of them listening and applauding are accessible, no?

p.s. i did not contribute to the sale of appetite as i had a copied tape of it.......home taping was killing music.

....a good article on the Pay-to-Play topic though.
Why just Not pay, and use the Collectives and people abouts the land to help you along.Thats what alot of you are doing anyway - yea?

sparse said:
Oh my god. Billy just voiced an opinion! Quick everyone get him. If we read into what he's actually saying he means "Kevin O'Rourke (who's song for the Ballroom is my favourite Ballroom song - I think, beacuse all the other bands that have played the ballroom are total shite and their songs suck and they don't deserve a place in main stream music neither )

Billy defend yourself!

Ha ha ha...

When's the album out...

AND WHICH COLDSPOON ARE YOU???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back