Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (1 Viewer)

Alex

Website
www.morellorocks.com
An article on IRIS Magazine with some contributions from the usual suspects :)

Here it is

Thanks to everybody who helped, part II (The Venues’ Perspective) will be up next week

Cheers, A.

interesting interview here

http://www.irismagazine.net/interviews/?display=654

IRIS: In Morello's opinion, is the Irish indie scene thriving or dying?

ALEX: I think the indie scene is thriving and dying at the same time – thriving because over the last two years we saw an awful lot of new bands and artists: dying because this growth seems to have affected only the most alternative/experimental music. There's plenty of post-rock, drone, noise, hard-core, emo, etc. But that's pretty much it. The minority of vinyl junkies who are into these genres, despite having a strong and genuine passion for music, are not enough to support the scene overall. People aren't going to indie gigs anymore because that's all that you can get. And, honestly, how many ‘normal’ people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes?

DARREN: Yeah, where's the ROCK?!? I personally don’t like that kind of stuff, and it is difficult to see decent rock bands in Dublin. People are eager for rock; this is why bands like Turn sell out every gig. For some reason though, there aren't many new bands playing rock – they're all into this alternative or retro shit.

STEPHEN: It's because too many just think about being ‘cool.’

ALEX: True. That kind of attitude is killing the scene: many bands just try too hard to sound weird because weird = cool. Music is about entertaining and communicating emotions, not about being cool. If you want to be cool get yourself a sports car or something.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fuck sake

Alex you infuriate me. What if I said *nobody* can listen to morello for more than 15 minutes, including the weird=cool types.

Blanket statements wha?

:rolleyes:

Pantone247 said:
And, honestly, how many ‘normal’ people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes?

:(
I hope my mammy doesn't read that. She thinks I'm so cool.

Ah well, here's something weird just for the sake of it.....

Hey lads take it easy. First of all these are just opinions and not statements, secondly I didn't want to offend anybody (Jimmy Cake included) and, if I did, I apologise.

The point I wanted to make is that their music is not for everybody but just for the ones who are deep into indie and, unfortunately, they aren't enough to support the whole scene, that's it. This doesn't mean they're good or bad and, of course, you're free to disagree.

Also, if I don't like this retro/alternative/experimental stuff, should I say I do just to please you..? I do think too many bands just try too hard to sound weird because weird = cool - So what? Can't I have an opinion? And why does this bother you?

Lastly, there's no harm in expressing what you think. Everybody who reads it has his own brain and can decide if he agrees or not.

Now let's not make a fuss out of this, please. And, again, I'm genuinely sorry if my opinions offended/hurted anybody.

After some extensive research I can reveal that 27 normal people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes. Of those, 13 can stand no more than half an hour, 8 start to cry after an hour, 2 have been listening to us non-stop since August 2001 and will die horribly if it's turned off and 4 people turned out to be one weirdo in 4 coats so technically they don't count but if I don't mention it nobody will ever know. I hope this answers your inciteful question young Alex.

If anyone in The Jimmy Cake is reading this it's my turn on the band sports car today. I'm taking Meredith Baxter Birney out of Family Ties out for the boiled eggs. It's a date!!

Sorry, but for a bunch of folks who bitched and moaned when jim carroll wrote about the scene celebrating itself isn't it a little hypocritical to get all pissed off when someone doesn't kiss everyone elses asses.

Jim Carroll was right

Pricks

Alex said:
Hey lads take it easy. First of all these are just opinions and not statements, secondly I didn't want to offend anybody (Jimmy Cake included) and, if I did, I apologise.

The point I wanted to make is that their music is not for everybody but just for the ones who are deep into indie and, unfortunately, they aren't enough to support the whole scene, that's it. This doesn't mean they're good or bad and, of course, you're free to disagree.

Also, if I don't like this retro/alternative/experimental stuff, should I say I do just to please you..? I do think too many bands just try too hard to sound weird because weird = cool - So what? Can't I have an opinion? And why does this bother you?

Lastly, there's no harm in expressing what you think. Everybody who reads it has his own brain and can decide if he agrees or not.

Now let's not make a fuss out of this, please. And, again, I'm genuinely sorry if my opinions offended/hurted anybody.
still no excuse for talking shite though...

Ed said:
Sorry, but for a bunch of folks who bitched and moaned when jim carroll wrote about the scene celebrating itself isn't it a little hypocritical to get all pissed off when someone doesn't kiss everyone elses asses.

Jim Carroll was right

Pricks

About as hypocritical as telling everyone on a indie/alternative/whatever music board about the great article you were involved in wiritng about big bad pay to play gigs, but failing to mention the interview on the same site, where you slam bands and styles of music that the same people you're bragging to play, enjoy, know personally and work hard to keep going (and not for financial gain, record deals or "coolness", simply for the love of doing it).

But hey, thats just my opinion! I've no beef with anyone here

I think the Jimmy Cake and Morello should merge to create synergies and improve efficiencies. They could be called JCM Music Solutions.

This may mean the re-allocation of some "band members" to new roles. There are exciting opportunities in areas such as customer support, hygiene officials, HR and strategic development.

These days young people are surfing up life's fast lane and music has to meet their needs. New delivery channels such as MP3 and seven-inch vinyl should be capitalised upon by this new group. Partnerships with the likes of West Coast Coffee and thumped.com should be developed as well. Indeed West Coast Coffee are keen on the Morellocino and mini-Jimmy Cake "Gig Snack". Other opportunities lie in customised credit cards, t-shirt sales and product endorsements.

Ed said:

Jim Carroll was right

Pricks

I just don't like the implication that 'weird' bands make 'strange' music for 'weird' people because it makes them cool and obscure.

It's pretty obvious that Alex plays the type of music he does because he loves playing it. Why should that be different for anyone else with different tastes.

Pantone247 said:
People aren't going to indie gigs anymore because that's all that you can get. And, honestly, how many ‘normal’ people can listen to The Jimmy Cake for more than 15 minutes?

DARREN: Yeah, where's the ROCK?!? I personally don’t like that kind of stuff, and it is difficult to see decent rock bands in Dublin. People are eager for rock; this is why bands like Turn sell out every gig. For some reason though, there aren't many new bands playing rock – they're all into this alternative or retro shit.

STEPHEN: It's because too many just think about being ‘cool.’

ALEX: True. That kind of attitude is killing the scene: many bands just try too hard to sound weird because weird = cool. Music is about entertaining and communicating emotions, not about being cool. If you want to be cool get yourself a sports car or something.

ow! mummy!! my mind hurts cause it soo small. and all this weird music is tyring to invade it through my ears!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back