Pay-To-Play Gigs: The Artists’ Perspective (1 Viewer)

Ed said:
I don’t think the article on pay-to-play is related to what Alex said in the interview. It’s kinda sad that people are jumping down his throat for not liking The Jimmy Cake. I’m sure most people have bands they don’t like, and just because a lot of people on Thumped are mates with The Jimmy Cake, or are in The Jimmy Cake doesn’t make Alex’s opinion any less valid than someone who thinks The Jimmy Cake are fantastic. I think it’s great that Morello aren’t back slapping folks to get support slots (which, like it or not happens a lot) and trying to appease the clique which everyone claims doesn’t exist, but came out in force today. Not liking a band, or criticising a band doesn’t make Alex or Morello bad people. I happen to disagree with his opinion about The Jimmy Cake, it doesn’t mean I’m right and he’s wrong or vice versa.

actually, i really don't mind people not being fans of the cake (well, that's not true, i seethe with resentment and plot to burn down their houses...), and if alex doesn't like us, then fair enough.

however, i do get a bit miffed by the "people who make non-mainstream music do it out of some kind of wilfulness/desire to be cool/indier than thou" thang. i make the kind of music i make because i like it. simple as that.

Ed said:
It’s kinda sad that people are jumping down his throat for not liking The Jimmy Cake.
No one gives a fuck about whether Alex likes The Jimmy Cake, but 'trying to be cool' is A Bad Thing, and people are afraid that Alex's accusation is directed at them
Also, people think - "is everyone who likes my band just pretending because they're trying to be cool?" and it worries them

its got fuck all to do with local heroes, just saying 'normal people can't listen to <insert non-mainstream band name> for more than 15 minutes' is a whole lot of closeminded bollix, even if it is only an opinion.

i enjoy playing the kind of music i like to listen to, and i think that's cool. Am i being weird for the sake of coolness?

oh, thumped what happened to you? actually its exactly like I remember it ;)

the addition of the ninja is quality though !ninjaaaa

i was listening to some music the other day and then i realised it was cool and that i must be weird. so i borrowed my sister's Thrills album and everything was fine. Phew! :cool:

Could somebody just come out and say their band is cooler than the rest?

That should put an end to all this nonsense.

enchance said:
Could somebody just come out and say their band is cooler than the rest?

That should put an end to all this nonsense.

beards of jesus are the coolest band.

egg_ said:
No one gives a fuck about whether Alex likes The Jimmy Cake, but 'trying to be cool' is A Bad Thing, and people are afraid that Alex's accusation is directed at them
Also, people think - "is everyone who likes my band just pretending because they're trying to be cool?" and it worries them
Well.... if you go through this thread only 2 people were actually *mad* at me for what I stated.... I can't help wondering why they took it so personally.....? :) You didn't, right? That's because you *knew* you play unconventional stuff because you like it and not just to be cool

The Jimmy Cake guys instead (never realised how many they are!:)) have been really sound coz they were clever enough to understand I just picked them as an example.

Again, I didn't say anything bad about them. I just said they're not for everybody.

Hop, if you think the Cakes aren't a niche band, then I guess you are a bit narrow minded. Bands like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Guns and Roses appeal to bigger audiences and you cant deny this.

I really think that if there were more bands playing more "accessible" music, then much more people would go to gigs and this would help the scene. I believe there's no bands playing this stuff in Dublin because musicians are afraid to be labelled as sell out, etc. like it's happening to Morello here, even though we're as indie as everybody else here because we're doing everything ourselves.

This was my point and this only. I didn't raise all this mess

enchance said:
Anybody actually listened to their music?

Yeah... they played Ballroom #10 with Stoat, Boxes and Kevin O'Rourke (who's song for the Ballroom is my favourite Ballroom song - I think)

They're not my cup of tea to be honest... still, it's very cool of them to pass on what they know to others. And I hope it all works out for them.

The Jimmy Cake aren't weird at all. "Superlady" is a wonderful EP... except for the vocal thing, which I'm not into. The live thing is memorable stuff.

Now:

Pelé played for Santos
Santos played for Brazil
Brazil played for Scotland
Scotland played for England
England played for Wales
Wales [sic] played for Holland
Holland played for Ireland

Which of these is false?

Doesn't a small music "scene" such as that in Dublin cater primarily for weird/alternative stuff? Then by my powers of deduction, we can QED this theorem. Morello isn't really designed to fit in.

Alex said:
Well.... if you go through this thread only 2 people were actually *mad* at me for what I stated

i think more people did actually get a bit mad but then decided it wasn't worth the effort. i certainly did. there are so many assumptions in what you're saying about music that i would disagree with, but really, your mind is made up, so people may as well just talk about something else.

billygannon said:
Now:

Pelé played for Santos
Santos played for Brazil
Brazil played for Scotland
Scotland played for England
England played for Wales
Wales [sic] played for Holland
Holland played for Ireland

Which of these is false?

It's Scotland played for England. That's false. I bet you five face flannels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back