Pan's Labyrinth (1 Viewer)

***sort of spoilers***

I thought this was a decent flick but it sure ain't no fantasy in my opinion. I was expecting something more in the lines of a Burton or Gilliam type thing, magic-realism and all that. For me the fantasy elements, which I thought were pretty clumsy and not rich enough, have no bearing on the actual real-world story as they're merely a representation of the girl's imagination and feelings stemming from her real life situation and some pretty impenetrable allegorical things about the war. You could have made the same film without the fantasy bits easily enough.

For me the fantasy elements, which I thought were pretty clumsy and not rich enough, have no bearing on the actual real-world story as they're merely a representation of the girl's imagination and feelings stemming from her real life situation and some pretty impenetrable allegorical things about the war.

Well that was sorta the point I think..

The fantasy world was the girl's attempt to escape from the brutality of her real life but even her fantasy world was tainted too by very similar problems..

Sure it would have worked with out the fantasy part but it would have been a differerent film. Same with The Devil's Backbone - it still woulda worked with out the supernatural element..

But would you want to?

Well yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that I thought the fantasy elements were ultimately pointless and not integral enough to warrant the film being described as an 'adult fairytale' or 'adult fantasy' as you'll see it reviewed most places. Don't get me wrong though, still a good film but as a fantasy fan I was disappointed given the hype.

finally got around to seeing this. wow!!! mind-blowing-ly brilliant. it deserves all the praise it gets.

just watched this, really great movie.
visually brilliant. basically agree to almost everything said here already

good to see it got a few oscars aswell

man i totally cried. here's me
walter.gif

really brilliant mexican-spanish film !!! I love it, great mix between our hard civil war -the captain is the prototype of franco´s soldier with his franquist mentality- and the other hand the republicans and maquis-lefties- was living hide on the forest, and with this sad reality the girl need and scape her fantasy...

Originally Posted by seanc
Really enjoyed this.

How many different things does "vamos" mean in Spanish??

seanc "vamos" in my language have different meanig, 1st. "we go" 2nd. "Come on !" and 3th "Let´s go!" dipend to the context

Watched the devil's backbone yesterday excellant film but perhaps not an afternoon movie. Really wanna Pan's Labyrinth and Chronos now.

Watched the devil's backbone yesterday excellant film but perhaps not an afternoon movie. Really wanna Pan's Labyrinth and Chronos now.

And don't forget the very entertaining Hellboy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back