Pan's Labyrinth (1 Viewer)

fantastic movie, yer one who played the lead shone the whole way through. the captain - what a dick. evil personified.

i was really quite shocked at just how graphic the violence was - i had no idea that there was a franco thing going on - from the posters i thought it was going to be 100% fantasy. the storyline was very clever but if i could change one thing it would be the violence. cos the fantasy stuff i think younger kids would enjoy - but the real stuff was a little too much for me.

still, very good.

yeah but it's not a kid's film, why would you want to bring a kid in the first place?
i loved it. the whole theme of returning to the womb... strangely appealing.

MY POINT is that i had no idea bout the hammers in faces, systematic gunning down of people, and joker-like slashing of faces - i was under the impression i was in for a nice fantasy with heaps of men who looked like trees, fairies and stuff.
in the end i understand the fantasy side was a way for her to escape all the shit going on - maybe i would have enjoyed it more had i known about the franco stuff before :)

-basically i thought it was a kiddies film going into it.

and i was very wrong....

I agree with La La and I'd go further and say I'd have no problem with an older kid seeing it. For me it's not so much how graphic the violence is that's important, it's the message behind the movie. This is a clear battle between good and evil (like in fairytales) where good wins out. I'd rather they saw this movie than some other PG movie with a morally questionable message.

It was no more graphic than most fairy tales that aren't made by disney.

just sayin'

It was no more graphic than most fairy tales that aren't made by disney.

just sayin'

i'm sorry, but i completely disagree - the degree of violence to which it went was unneccessary at times - i felt the depth of all the misery could have been portrayed with less violence, without taking from the fact that no one was very happy at the mill.

maybe i'm just more squeamish than you, but that's my take on it. (and i;ve never thought of myself as particularly squeamish - but then again I have yet to see Apocalypto)

i'm sorry, but i completely disagree - the degree of violence to which it went was unneccessary at times - i felt the depth of all the misery could have been portrayed with less violence, without taking from the fact that no one was very happy at the mill.

woah, I didn't say the degree of violence was necessary. Was just making a point about traditional fairy tale fantasy being fairly fucked up also.

you didn't say that I didn't say that maybe....

uh....

yeah alright i'll take your word for it

why do you reckon that?

Because i sat there as the credit's rolled and said 'Well that was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

And then i went home and said to my flatmate 'Well that was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

Then i went to the pub and my friend Dave said 'Mick, what did you think?' and i said 'Well it was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

Devil's Backbone is MILES better.

Because i sat there as the credit's rolled and said 'Well that was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

And then i went home and said to my flatmate 'Well that was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

Then i went to the pub and my friend Dave said 'Mick, what did you think?' and i said 'Well it was entertaining but hardly the amazing, moving, profound fairytale/facism allegory i'd been lead to believe it was.'

Devil's Backbone is MILES better.

i can see why people would feel that way - it received huge praise from the critics and I know i;ve seen heaps better movies - i liked it though. aaaaaaaand i think i've said all i can say about it at this stage. the mime guy who played the faun was cool though :)

i can see why people would feel that way - it received huge praise from the critics and I know i;ve seen heaps better movies - i liked it though. aaaaaaaand i think i've said all i can say about it at this stage. the mime guy who played the faun was cool though :)

If you haven't, you REALLY should see The Devils Backbone. It's in RAC's Top 20.

It KNEEL'S before Point Break though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back