Official Thumped position on Lisbon (2 Viewers)

How will you vote in Lisbon II: Is That Your Final Answer?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Abstain

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Spoil

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
heres some stuff from: http://www.generationyes.ie/fight-the-lies/

LIE: The legal guarantees aren’t worth the paper that they are printed on.
TRUTH: The guarantees have the same legal status as an EU Treaty in international law. The 27 EU leaders have already stated that the guarantees are ‘legally binding and will take effect on the date of entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon.’ If Ireland votes yes on October 2nd, the guarantees will be registered at the UN and will immediately have the full force of International law. They will also be given the full force of EU law following the accession of either Iceland or Croatia to the EU. Ireland will have the ability to bring the EU to the International Court of Justice if it feels that the guarantees have been broken.
LIE: Irish minimum wage will be reduced to €1.84 if Lisbon is passed.
THE TRUTH: The EU has not currently, nor will it under Lisbon, any power over the minimum wages of member states. Ireland’s minimum wage was set down in Irish law under the National Minimum Wage Act 2000, and the EU can do nothing to change thisIn fact Lisbon provides for even greater social protection than is currently guaranteed in EU law.
LIE: The Lisbon Treaty will reduce Ireland’s voting strength to 0.8% in the Council of Ministers.
THE TRUTH: Voting is carried out in a two-stage process. In the first stage, all states have one vote and 55% of Member States are needed to approve a draft law. In the second stage, votes are weighted according to population size however for a law to pass it must have the support of 65% of the population of the EU but no proposal can be forced through by a small number of large states if they don’t have wider support. Ireland still retains a veto over sensitive areas.
LIE: Lisbon removes Ireland’s right to a permanent EU Commissioner.
THE TRUTH: The Lisbon Treaty is THE ONLY WAY for every member states to keep a national Commissioner. LIE: Irish fishermen have been ‘milked dry’ and if we vote Yes to Lisbon, farmers will be next.
LIE: Irish farmers will be ‘milked dry’ by the Lisbon Treaty.
THE TRUTH: The Lisbon Treaty makes very few changes in the area of agriculture and fisheries. The only significant difference is that the European Parliament will now vote on the budget for the Common Agricultural Policy which means farmers will have a greater chance to influence decisions by lobbying their elected MEPs.
LIE: 95% of Europeans would vote no. Stand up for Europe.
THE TRUTH: Out of the countries that voted on the European Constitution 27million voted Yes as opposed to 23million who voted No. More importantly, the Lisbon Treaty referendum is not about the rest of Europe but about Ireland’s future. If we want to secure Irish jobs, get our economy back on track, increase the input of the Dáil into European legislation and keep our Commissioner, we need to vote Yes on October 2nd.

LIE: Unelected Brussels bureaucrats make up to 80% of laws.
THE TRUTH:EU law is democratically agreed by our elected representatives, and represents less than half the laws implemented in Ireland each year
See our Research

• New research demonstrates definitively that Libertas’ claim that “Unelected Brussels bureaucrats make up to 80% of laws” is completely false.
  • Gen Yes’s team of researchers have analysed all legislation from the last 17 years to show that on average, the real proportion of laws that comes from Brussels is less than half of what Libertas claims. In a year-by-year analysis, not once does the amount of legislation coming from Brussels rise even as far as 50%. Furthermore, not one single EU law can be passed without approval from our elected MEPs or our elected politicians in the European Council.
  • We analysed the texts of Irish Acts and Statutory Instruments between 1992 and 2009, that period covers 588 Acts and 10,725 Statutory Instruments.
  • We analysed the texts of these 11,313 pieces of legislation for any mention whatsoever of European legislation (Directives, Regulations, Council Decisions). If there is a single mention, we have counted that Act or Statutory Instrument as “European” which if anything will overstate the proportion of legislation that is “European”.
  • law-graph1.jpg
  • Results:
  • Of the 588 Acts, 114 contain at least one reference to European legislation (19.39%). Of the 10,725 Statutory Instruments, 3,050 contain at least one reference to European legislation (28.44%). Of the total of Irish legislation from 1992 to 2009, then, only 3,164 out of 11,313 Acts and Instruments contain any reference whatsoever to European legislation - 27.97%.
  • This is the maximum possible amount of Irish legislation that could possibly be related to “Brussels legislation”. Further analysis would reduce this total, because some Acts/SIs will not in fact be implementing EU legislation, but only making some reference to it, or only part of the legislation text is implementing EU legislation, while the majority of the Act/SI implements purely national legislation.
  • Looked at year by year, it can be seen that in no year does the amount of Irish legislation in any sense ‘containing traces of EU’ rise as far as 50%.
  • One final point is that the claim may refer to EU regulation which is
    directly applicable without requiring an Act/SI. Even if we include
    these regulations (3,009), the amount of legislation in any way
    “European” only reaches 43%. Nearly half what Libertas claims.
  • Methodology:
  • The advantage to our methodology is that - first and foremost - anyone can repeat the exercise themselves. The Acts and Statutory Instruments for the period are all available online.

LIE: EU laws are made by unelected elites.
THE TRUTH: Every EU law has to be approved by either the people’s directly elected MEPs, and/or by the elected government representatives of the member states. That means no law can be passed without approval by your elected representatives. The Treaty increases the Parliament’s power further.
LIE: The EU wants to introduce conscription in Ireland.
THE TRUTH: There is no EU army, and there is no move toward conscription. Very few countries have conscription in their national armies, and many of them are phasing it out.Furthermore, close to one fifth of EU countries are neutral states, like Ireland.
We will be responding to lies as they happen here.

sex pistaols!

LIE: The legal guarantees aren’t worth the paper that they are printed on.
TRUTH: The guarantees have the same legal status as an EU Treaty in international law. The 27 EU leaders have already stated that the guarantees are ‘legally binding and will take effect on the date of entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon.’ If Ireland votes yes on October 2nd, the guarantees will be registered at the UN and will immediately have the full force of International law. They will also be given the full force of EU law following the accession of either Iceland or Croatia to the EU. Ireland will have the ability to bring the EU to the International Court of Justice if it feels that the guarantees have been broken.
Personally that's actually my biggest worry - effectively the Irish constitutional ban on abortion will now become international and EU law - no thanks!

Meantime a sure winner in the poster wars

http://www.eirigi.org/pdfs/campaigns/lisbon2_bllcks.pdf

kp

Re: sex pistaols!

Personally that's actually my biggest worry - effectively the Irish constitutional ban on abortion will now become international and EU law - no thanks!

Yeah but surely if/when Ireland removes that from the constitution it's not like international and EU law will block it from happening.

Personally (aside from my wacko conspiracy theories about elements in the EU having a long term aim of a federalist EU state) one of the biggest issues I have is the self editing nature of the treaty, we'll never have another EU referendum again because anything in the future which would have previously been classed as a new treaty and requiring us to vote on it again can be rolled into Lisbon retrospectively. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Plus, the fundamentally undemocratic way that we're being made to vote on it again.

Plus the fundamentally undemocratic way that we're the only ones being allowed to vote on it. (Yeah, yeah, the citizens of the other countries vote in the parliaments who in turn vote to accept the treaty and that's the whole point of representative democracy but that doesn't wash with me, especially when with previous treaties many countries did have votes on it, even with something like Amsterdam that we were told was just a minor piece of housekeeping and this time we're talking about a major change in the EU's structures.)

Yeah but surely if/when Ireland removes that from the constitution it's not like international and EU law will block it from happening.
Well hopefully so - but I'd say it'll be a long time before we get another referendum - despite that fact that the country has swung enormously to pro choice i reckon. Meantime we get our craziness taken up to an international level.

As for fecking Mary Mac - don't get me started!!!

Why can't we have a real cooooool president like in Battle Star Galactica!

battlestar-galactica-mcdonnell57.jpg

kp

i find that whole thing about abortion infuriating. if it was legal, you could still be 100% within your ethics and just not get one. fucking spa's.

people are free to vote no again. that's democracy.

Did the government want us to have a vote on this treaty?

Would there be a second referendum of we voted Yes 1st time?

Are all the EU citizens getting to vote on this treaty by referendum?

Is it democratic to ask people to vote on the treaty given it's complexity?

Will the Lisbon treaty be dead if we vote No for the 2nd time?

Carrey_Riddler.jpg

i'm not sure. they are contractually bound to have a vote on it.

i know if it was me I would be pissed of at having 10 years of complex negotiation scuppered be homophobic christian fundamentalists, ex IRA bods (and a few well meaning and right minded individuals :))

No. the issue is that people raised concerns that they didn't know what they were voting on.

If they still don't know what they are voting on they will still vote no.

the act of having a second vote doesn't change the way people vote. people will change the way they vote depending on their views at a particular point in time.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to have a second vote on something when effort has been made to address peoples concerns.

Groups like Coir are pushing the "undemoctratic" card on the second vote because they fear that their position is in the minority and with all the new information/understanding on the issue there will be lots of swing votes.

no because member states have different approaches to the issue.

If it was a federalist union maybe but Europe isn't a federalist union.

I would like to think that Lisbon will improve/strengthen the role of national parliaments, improve subsidiarity etc

very very interesting question. i don't think I am qualified to answer that.

I'm sure someone is better informed on the democratic nuances of technocracies etc.

I'm not sure. there are lots of options being discussed but most of the discussions will place ireland at a disadvantage.

Personally I think it is the responsibility of the NO side to be very clear on what a No vote will mean for Ireland and Europe (strategically, politically, socially, economically). To the best of my knowledge, none of the NO groups have done this.

cowen on primetime last night was asked what happens if we vote no again...he basically said that nothing would happen immediately but 5 or 10 years down the line we would feel the effects of lack of help in getting outta the hole we is in, is what i think he was implying...and that the no-side have not presented one positive reason to vote no.

i can't give him one

the 'positive' changes to the workings of the union being introduced are significant enough to have warranted us under our constitution to hold a referendum and, in its former incarnation (the EU Constitution), to be put to the people of europe. We have caused the issue of popular participation in the fundamental maturing of the ambitions of the union to be raised...why are we being 'strenuously encouraged'(bullied) to swallow something first packaged as 'harmless', then as 'good-for-us', now as 'economy-medicine'..for me it has always been about 'people have the power of responsibility' and whatever the consequences of our collective lack of wisdom it is still a declaration of our social maturity and we should refuse to be spared that..this treaty, or parts of its proposals, should've been put to the population of europe...thats whats fueling the fires of mistrust...all that abortion/min wage/conscription stuff was way too readily presented as the reason for the rejection and thats a real shame....those issues didn't create the mistrust; the leaders created the mistrust. The people don't trust the leaders; the leaders don't trust the people.

the last no-vote was an opportunity to smack the govt in the face...very foolish, very neccesary. Democracy is, as the french say, dangereux(???)

so now the institutional changes are irrelevant..the participation issue is irrelevant...now it's 'vote yes coz thats what the EU wants..and the EU are guaranteeing our economic recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back