New EU copyright legislation (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Anyone know anything about it? I know The Wikimedia Foundation is very much opposed to it (even though there are provisions to exclude wikipedias from it) on the grounds that it's against the spirit of a free and open internet

What I'm afraid of is the 'upload filters' that Article 13 talks about will prove too difficult/costly for places like bandcamp and tunecore to implement, and then smalltime bands like mine will have no way of accessing a global audience. Any thoughts? I got an email from IMRO that says this which as far as I can tell is all about killing The Pirate Bay and fuck the consequences for anything else

Dear Member,

I am writing to you on a matter of the greatest importance. In the next few days the European Parliament will vote on whether to approve the most significant reform of copyright law in nearly two decades. At the heart of these reforms are proposals to ensure that online platforms which host content uploaded by their users (video and music sharing services) are liable for copyright and must either obtain a licence or block unlicensed content.

Over the course of the last year and working closely with our sister organisations, we have been supporting GESAC (who represent authors’ societies across the EU) in calling for an end to the “Transfer of Value” that is benefiting major digital platforms at the expense of creators. This has involved intensive lobbying both here in Ireland and in Europe, detailing the situation to our MEPs and seeking their support. This issue is, without a doubt, the most significant battle that our copyright community has had to face in our time.

We are now at a critical point, Members of European Parliament are reportedly receiving thousands of emails from anti-copyright crusaders. If we are to secure legislation to make online platforms pay fairly for the use of your music and that of your fellow music creators, we urgently need your help.

Please take 90 seconds and use our simple online tool below to email Members of the European Parliament to ask for support in solving the Transfer of Value and help create an online market which works for creators.

Eleanor McEvoy
IMRO Chairperson

The music industry has argued that its negotiating hand with platforms such as YouTube has been weakened because the Google-owned company and others benefit from what the industry believes is a misapplication of “safe harbours” in copyright legislation.
But ... what the new copyright legislation is proposing, as far as I understand it, is exactly what YouTube already has in place (something that checks against a list of copyrighted material on upload (that apparently cost YouTube 60 million quid to make))

I haven't heard about it until this thread. I remember the recent changes in taxation regarding to the country of the purchaser for online digital sales was problematic for small publishers even making it it impossible for them to carry on providing digital sales as they couldn't deal with the amount of paperwork required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back